Best Noise Canceling Headphones?
Mar 8, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #31 of 49
Actually, I thought the EW9 clip ons were AWFUL. I actually returned them.

Mar 8, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #32 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, I thought the EW9 clip ons were AWFUL. I actually returned them.

To each their own.....

Mar 8, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #33 of 49
jonathanjong;5495807 said:
@geardoc: Don't you think the ANC7 was a little bass-weak with ANC turned on too?

I'll give them a listen tonight again to try and reduce my bias. I sometimes listen to them without the ANC and don't remember a big change in bass, at least not like what I heard on the senn's.

Mar 8, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #34 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by REB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you have the older version? I understand this was a problem which got fixed later.

How do you know if you have an older one? Its been over a year since I had the 450's. Are recent reports of bass drop out more subtle.?

Mar 8, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #35 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by geardoc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you know if you have an older one? Its been over a year since I had the 450's. Are recent reports of bass drop out more subtle.?

In the oldest models the bass drop was quite extreme. The newer model has fixed this. I bought mine in December 2007 and they are the new version. The bass drop is not really significant. Other than this, I wouldn't know how to distinguish the two versions.

Mar 8, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #36 of 49
Ok, I just did a quick listen to my ANC7's out of a Microdot II+ amp.

The ANC7 is a bit muddy sounding without the noise cancellation. But, turning the NC on increases the sound-stage/instrument separation and adds a considerable amount of "air" or something like that. The midrange and highs pop out when you turn the NC on. So, I guess that there is a net effective loss of bass. However, the sound signature changes for the better with NC on.

Interesting, now this jogs my memory of the senn PXC450 which have a great sound without the NC on, quite the opposite of the ANC7's. IIRC, the senn's are based on the HD515 which aren't too shabby.

Mar 8, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #37 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by badgerbimmer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To each their own.....

Indeed, and I should have said so, sorry about that. They simply were not my cup of tea.

I do not think the ANC7 sound like either the ESW9 or the EW9. With the NC circuit on they are closest to the ES7, but they really have a flavor all their own.

Mar 8, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #38 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by geardoc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ANC7 is a bit muddy sounding without the noise cancellation. But, turning the NC on increases the sound-stage/instrument separation and adds a considerable amount of "air" or something like that. The midrange and highs pop out when you turn the NC on. So, I guess that there is a net effective loss of bass. However, the sound signature changes for the better with NC on.

That's exactly my experience. Additionally it has to be mentioned, that there is plenty of background noise with NC on, which makes these phones nearly useless in quiet areas. But they are really great on a plane and make work in our lab with many noisy fans a pleasure.

Mar 10, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #39 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by REB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anybody corroborate my experiences with the 450 that with nc on, it actually sounds better?
confused_face_2.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/sen...undrum-347401/

well i find the bass to be way too low. Is there special amp i could get that would make the bass in active mode louder and better, cuz i only use it in passive now...and thats sort of a waste.

Mar 10, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #41 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gbjerke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well i find the bass to be way too low. Is there special amp i could get that would make the bass in active mode louder and better, cuz i only use it in passive now...and thats sort of a waste.

it must be my ears then. I use mine with a voyager amp which gives the low frequencies texture and separates them well, but is doesn't boost them. Although there is a contour switch on it that will boost the low and high frequencies quite effectively.

Then again, if you don't like the 450s sound in active mode and think it is lacking in bass, maybe you should disregard my amping advice, since I think the 450s active mode sound is really quite good and there is enough bass to go round
smily_headphones1.gif
. We probably like different sound signatures.
wink_face.gif

Mar 10, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #42 of 49
I order the ANC7s. Interesting that all the reviews and lotsa of opinion hear is that they do the job great and Audio Technica discontinued them.

Mar 26, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #43 of 49
I impulsively bit on the NC732 today, since they had a Denon warehouse sale in my area and these were only $100 CDN. My first impression is that these are slightly more muffled, narrow D1001s. The highs and the bass are great, but the mids are veiled, even more so than the D1001. I EQ'ed it for now to bring out the mids a bit. Hopefully burn in will improve some of that. Soundstage is very narrow, but I guess its expected for NC phones. As for the NC feature, it definitely works superbly, as good as the SE530's. Will try it on the bus tm and see how they put up with real world noise. They work without the NC feature on, but it badly rolls off the highs and is pretty much unlistenable. Design is nice, a blatant ripoff of the Quietcomforts, but minimal and nice looking. Doesn't have the best comfort in the world since it's on ear and it clamps a lot, but I guess it'll break in too.

For $100 I feel that they are worth it, but would I pay $300+ retail they go for usually? Naw.

Apr 13, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #45 of 49
I picked up a pair of 450's last month at Heathrow duty free. It was more expensive than I anticipated but I really wanted some NC cans for the flight so I closed my eyes and jumped in with both feet. I was only listening to movies on the flight and didn't really notice the drop in bass with NC on. I use them every day at work without NC on but there's still enough NC effect just as a closed headphone that I get the isolation I want and the music sounds just fine. I'll be using these on a daily basis for a long time to come.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back