Best New York Style Pizza in NYC?
Mar 16, 2010 at 9:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

intoflatlines

Headphoneus Supremus
I'll be in NYC for a couple days next week and I've got to try some of this pizza that everyone's raving about. I know it won't hold a candle to Chicago style pizza (
wink.gif
) but give me your recommendations for the best New York style pizza in NYC! Extra points if the place is clean and in a safe neighborhood.

Mar 17, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #3 of 53
One good spot is Pizza Supreme, which is on 8th and around W 31st. Get your slices 'extra crispy'.

I also love the 99 Cent Fresh Pizza shack, on 9th Ave and W 41st. It's the original 99 cent pizza place (there's been a surge of 99 cent pizza places lately, but I think the original is still king) but it's by the sketchy part of Port Authority.

Mar 17, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #4 of 53
Grimaldi's Pizza - Under the Brooklyn Bridge.
Frank Sinatra's favourite place.

Grimaldi's Pizzeria

This pizza is a different style than typical pizzaria pizza places.
The mozzerella cheese is sliced from fresh mozzerella rather than packaged grated cheese.
Sauce is chunky, not the thin sauce. Also its cooked in a brick oven.
Theres a line there even in the rain every day.
The neighborhood is upscale Brooklyn, and safe, with a view of the water and Jehovah's Witness Kingdom Hall...lol.
The little shops in the towne are nice also.

You havent been to NY unless youve tried Grimaldi's, and also a NY bagel, NY Pretzyl, NY HotDog, and walked through the city, and took the subway train and bus and hailed a taxi.
Haggling prices in China Towne/Canal Street is also fun.

Times Square is nice to see. Go down 5th ave to number 350 and see the Empire State Building.

Mar 17, 2010 at 3:47 AM Post #5 of 53
This can be a tricky thing. I have eaten in famous NYC pizza places and been underwhelmed and have been impressed with simple corner joints that are not famous. It's best to try different places to make your judgement.

Mar 17, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #8 of 53
Maffei's on 22nd Street and 6th AVE. Get a "grandma" slice.

Mar 17, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #9 of 53
NY Pizza Suprema, across the street from MSG. I didn't want to go back to Colorado after lunch here. I had tried four other slices at different joints this day and then I stumbled upon the Truth that is Suprema.

Mar 17, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #10 of 53
Haha

On any forum I've ever been on, there are threads like this that start up and they never end well. No one can agree on food.

We have terrible pizza here... Most of your fast food places and then a couple of small dirty places that make cheap pizza, but it's still not very good.

Mar 17, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #11 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by buddhashenglong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NY Pizza Suprema, across the street from MSG. I didn't want to go back to Colorado after lunch here. I had tried four other slices at different joints this day and then I stumbled upon the Truth that is Suprema.

Aye, that's the place I mentioned on 31st/8th. Again - get your slices extra crispy.

Pizza Suprema is actually one of my regular lunch spots (I work very close to MSG). Lucky me!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 18, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #12 of 53
I'm impressed, like the poster above some people and forums take their pizza too seriously.
I like that a few mentioned their local pizza place. I don't even know the name of mine, it's just the one on 9th ave and 53rd. just your ordinary great local pizza guy who's friendly, asks how ya doin? and tells us he just had a baby. These places are tiny.
Back to the OP, do you want NYC pizza of the artisan, trendy, foodie blogged approved nyc pizza? There's plenty of opinions to go around.
I like my NYC style pizza like what I had as a kid, Thin crust, floppy, not too much cheese that will weigh it down, sweet sauce. not too much to ask.
and it has to be foldable.
so try the local places, especially if you're in an Italian neighborhood. look for fast turnaround of fresh pies. and, they're cheaper in the outer boroughs. except for one artisan place.
I remember in public speaking class, one student's presentation was on his pizza shop, he told us how much it costs to make a pizza, it was under way dollar in 1985. (I think he meant the ingredients, not the entire business expense)

Mar 19, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #13 of 53
So, did we decide on a Pizza Place yet?
smily_headphones1.gif

We want a review of what you thought of NY pizza, and which place it was
wink.gif

Mar 19, 2010 at 3:54 AM Post #14 of 53
Stromboli Pizza on 13th and University (a block or so from Strand bookstore, which is on Broadway and 12th) - they used to have the best tomato sauce of all, though I haven't had pizza in years (dr.'s orders
frown.gif
)

Mar 19, 2010 at 5:40 AM Post #15 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Landis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha

On any forum I've ever been on, there are threads like this that start up and they never end well. No one can agree on food.

We have terrible pizza here... Most of your fast food places and then a couple of small dirty places that make cheap pizza, but it's still not very good.

I'm sure there are at least couple of not-well-known pizza places that are absolutely excellent. After 15 years of searching, I found 2 amazing places in vancouver. There must be some in toronto
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back