Best New York Style Pizza in NYC?
Mar 21, 2010 at 3:50 AM Post #31 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
People that suggest Grimaldi's and the likes are likely real New Yorkers and sick of the original NY style pizza.

Grimaldi's is over 100 years old. It *is* the original NY style pizza. Patsy's, Totonno's and Lombardi's are also very old.

The floppy-crust sold-by-the-slice fast-food style stuff that you see on every corner is a more modern invention. Prefer what you want, but that's not the "original" New York style by any means.

Mar 21, 2010 at 4:16 AM Post #32 of 53
for some reason this thread makes me wanna have some pizza at grimaldi's
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 21, 2010 at 5:01 AM Post #33 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grimaldi's is over 100 years old. It *is* the original NY style pizza. Patsy's, Totonno's and Lombardi's are also very old.

The floppy-crust sold-by-the-slice fast-food style stuff that you see on every corner is a more modern invention. Prefer what you want, but that's not the "original" New York style by any means.

Well back in the day, say around the 80s if you asked where to get a NY piece of pie you would be told Rays and they haven't changed whereas Grimaldi's has. Like it or not floppy-crust is NY style.

Mar 21, 2010 at 5:22 AM Post #34 of 53
Grimaldi's is an older more authentic italian style before the modern food precessors chopped mozzerella and packaged it. They actually use fresh mozzerella either floating in olive oil or water, im not sure which they use, and slice it and place it on the pizza , and it has chunky pieces of tomato on it and cooked in a brick oven, and spices are fresh.
It does cost a bit more, but its really good old world italian style.
But most people when they think of NY pizza do think of the common floppy folded oily thincrust made with grated mozzerella sprinkled over the top.
Id try both, Grimaldi's and also one of the others, Ray's, John's or whoever you want to choose.

Graphicism: Yes im from NY, and it is a change for me a little bit, although my local pizza place makes excellent pizza. I wouldnt eat anything less. Grimaldi's has a line down the block during rainy days for a reason. Any weather, theres a line. I dont even know how they got a daytime picture for their website with no people in it!...lol It must have been early in the morning way before opening.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 21, 2010 at 5:36 AM Post #35 of 53
Quote:

Well back in the day, say around the 80s if you asked where to get a NY piece of pie you would be told Rays and they haven't changed whereas Grimaldi's has. Like it or not floppy-crust is NY style.

"Like it or not"? LOL. I'm not taking sides, I love both kinds... but it's just factually incorrect to call Ray's and their ilk "original" NYC pizza. I don't care if it was around in the 80s. Grimaldi's and Lombardi's invented American pizza back in 1905
wink.gif
The original old-school places had (and still have) wood or coal fired ovens which are much hotter and produce a different kind of crust than the pizza ovens at the corner places. And they used real cheese and canned tomatoes instead of processed stuff like most places used today. It's a different product. They're both "NY style" pizza but the floppy-crust kind is pretty ubiquitous in Boston too, including a number of fast-food chains, so to me it's not really uniquely NY, whereas the other kind is...

Mar 21, 2010 at 6:13 AM Post #37 of 53
I'm also not taking sides, I would take the gourmet pie any day, heck I even prefer thick crust. All I'm saying is if you want authentic NY pizza you go to a place like Rays... if you want gourmet Lombardi's will suit you better but you don't need to go to NY for that.

Mar 21, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #38 of 53
Quote:

That's mainly because, in the '80s, almost every pizza place in NYC (esp. Manhattan) was called some form of "Ray's."

Mar 21, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #39 of 53
Quote:

I'm also not taking sides, I would take the gourmet pie any day, heck I even prefer thick crust. All I'm saying is if you want authentic NY pizza you go to a place like Rays... if you want gourmet Lombardi's will suit you better but you don't need to go to NY for that.

All I'm saying is that you're wrong.

Mar 22, 2010 at 5:05 AM Post #41 of 53
I like Gramma Pie
smily_headphones1.gif

Sicillian Style crust with chopped tomatoes, olive oil, onions, breadcrumbs.

Mar 22, 2010 at 8:10 AM Post #42 of 53
My favorite while living in NYC was by far "Two Boots Amazing Pizza"; I went to the one on Avenue A in the lower east side, but they have a few locations in Manhattan. Not NY traditional by any means, but extremely good and original. Sacrilegious things like whole wheat crust and Cajun-style crawfish might end up surprising the traditionalist; their jalapeno pesto for example is quite tasty. And if you're looking for a nice atmosphere, you want to get to go or delivered.

Mar 26, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #43 of 53
Ok, enough of the BS!!! Get your butt to NY and try some pizza and report back with a review!!!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 26, 2010 at 4:25 AM Post #44 of 53
Argh, I'm getting hungry. But I would like to say that pretty much anywhere you go in NYC, you're gonna get great food, period. I've never been let down by any random place in NY.

Mar 26, 2010 at 5:06 AM Post #45 of 53
Went to Grimaldi's on Monday night. Got a large pizza with pepperoni and black olives. The crust was nice and thin, and the ingredients seemed nice and fresh (well, as fresh as mozzerella, cured black olives, and pepperoni can be..). Unfortunately we were disappointed by the pizza. The tomato "sauce" on the pizza was very light and did not have a strong enough flavor. The same goes for the mozzerella. The pepperoni was just pepperoni, and the black olives were the kind that are larger and have more of a strong vinegar/salt flavor, something that I enjoy when it is served as alone or as an appetizer, but not on my pizza. I did like the texture and thinness of the crust, though.
frown.gif

I prefer my pizza to have bolder flavors and more weight to the toppings, something that I think is not descriptive of a New York style pizza. It was fun to go to Grimaldi's, though. I can say that I went to one of the famous pizza places in NYC!
smily_headphones1.gif

Next time I'll try one of the other types of pizza places.. the ones with the cheap cheese and that sell by the slice.

I was only in NYC for two nights, and the best food that I had there was a Cuban sandwich from Margon Restaurant in/near Times Square. Now that was delicious!
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back