Best Movie of the Year!
Nov 30, 2007 at 12:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 71

earwicker7

Headphoneus Supremus
No Country for Old Men

If you haven't seen it, run to the theatre right now. This is the Citizen Kane of the "Modern Day Western" genre. I've never seen an audience reaction like this--at the end of the movie, as the credits rolled, the audience sat there, as if stunned, for a minute straight... no one moved or made a sound.

One caveat, however; if you're squeamish, DON'T GO. This movie is brutal.

Nov 30, 2007 at 1:00 AM Post #2 of 71
I liked Mel Gibson's Apocalypto.

Nov 30, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #3 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No Country for Old Men

If you haven't seen it, run to the theatre right now. This is the Citizen Kane of the "Modern Day Western" genre. I've never seen an audience reaction like this--at the end of the movie, as the credits rolled, the audience sat there, as if stunned, for a minute straight... no one moved or made a sound.

One caveat, however; if you're squeamish, DON'T GO. This movie is brutal.

I plan to see this movie on Saturday. In addition to yours, I have read several reviews saying pretty much the same thing...

Nov 30, 2007 at 1:28 AM Post #5 of 71
Right now my vote goes to Bourne but I am anxious to see I Am Legend.

Thanks for the rec on No Country!

Nov 30, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #6 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is the Citizen Kane of the "Modern Day Western" genre.

Are there a lot of films striving for that honor? Actually, I'm really looking forward to it, but There Will Be Blood is the "Western" I'm most interested in this year.

Nov 30, 2007 at 2:23 AM Post #7 of 71
Got a chance to see both American Gangster and No Country for Old Men. Both are great movies, No Country for Old Men is just wicked with great acting by Javier Bardem.

nocountryforoldmenpic2.jpg

"Call it, friend-o..."

Nov 30, 2007 at 3:19 AM Post #8 of 71
Have you people not seen The Darjeeling Limited?

That is the best movie I've seen all year, and I see a lot of movies.

Edit: Let's not forget Juno either, I haven't had a chance to see it yet, but current reviews are VERY positive. It looks like it will be an amazing movie.

Nov 30, 2007 at 3:25 AM Post #9 of 71
"Into the Wild"

Nov 30, 2007 at 3:27 AM Post #10 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you people not seen The Darjeeling Limited?

That is the best movie I've seen all year, and I see a lot of movies.

Edit: Let's not forget Juno either, I haven't had a chance to see it yet, but current reviews are VERY positive. It looks like it will be an amazing movie.

Sooo good to hear that. Wes Anderson is by far a my favorite filmmaker. Can't wait to see it.

Nov 30, 2007 at 3:42 AM Post #11 of 71
The Darjeeling Limited is very good, but American Gangster is probably the best movie I've seen this year. I also really liked Live Free or Die Hard and Ratatouille. I'll have to check out No Country for Old Men.

Nov 30, 2007 at 4:18 AM Post #12 of 71
No Country for Old Men is the best of 2007, friend-o.

Nov 30, 2007 at 4:46 AM Post #14 of 71
Darjeeling was a disappointment. I found Hotel Chevalier more satisfying. I wonder if Wes is finished? Maybe Baumbach is the one to watch now?

The only films released this year I've seen more than once:
Ratatouille
No End in Sight
King of Kong
Hot Fuzz

Still looking forward to:
I'm Not There
There Will Be Blood
Terror's Advocate
Margot at the Wedding
Rescue Dawn
No Country for Old Men

Best film I've seen this year (though released in '73):
Spirit of the Beehive

Nov 30, 2007 at 5:15 AM Post #15 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got a chance to see both American Gangster and No Country for Old Men. Both are great movies, No Country for Old Men is just wicked with great acting by Javier Bardem.

0348_3131.jpg

"Call it, Friend-o..."

If he doesn't get an Oscar I will lose what little faith I regained when they gave Return of the King the grand slam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back