Best Movie of the Year!
Dec 1, 2007 at 12:52 AM Post #32 of 71
I also really enjoyed Bourne (first Bourne is still my favorite Bourne movie, though) and Hot Fuzz, also. I LOVE Death Proof, but I love TDL more.

Tarantino and Anderson are essentially my two favorite directors.

Dec 1, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #36 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ken,
What did you think of the movie. I have tickets for tomorrow...

Doug,

Doug and friends,

NCFOM: 2.5 stars in my estimation. Tommy is wasted in my opinion. Javier is chilling, but also wasted. I guess I will go with American Gangster, reluctantly.

Dec 1, 2007 at 7:44 PM Post #37 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doug,

Doug and friends,

NCFOM: 2.5 stars in my estimation. Tommy is wasted in my opinion. Javier is chilling, but also wasted. I guess I will go with American Gangster, reluctantly.

confused.gif

What was it that you didn't like about the movie? The only people I know who didn't like it said that it was too nihilistic. Then they went and saw "Enchanted"
biggrin.gif

Dec 1, 2007 at 8:37 PM Post #38 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
confused.gif

What was it that you didn't like about the movie? The only people I know who didn't like it said that it was too nihilistic. Then they went and saw "Enchanted"
biggrin.gif

i gave it 2.5 stars. That means OK. Both TLJ and Javier rank with the best. We got little from each. The movie was "a one trick pony". This is my opinion, sorry. Actually, the case could be made that the film embodies the war between good and evil. Evil won, but lost me somewhere along the way, but what do I know. Anyway, the movie I saw was about a guy doing voiceover and a guy saying little, but destroying a big part of Texas and not paying for it. Evil wins.

Dec 1, 2007 at 9:29 PM Post #39 of 71
Quote:

i gave it 2.5 stars. That means OK. Both TLJ and Javier rank with the best. We got little from each. The movie was "a one trick pony". This is my opinion, sorry. Actually, the case could be made that the film embodies the war between good and evil. Evil won, but lost me somewhere along the way, but what do I know. Anyway, the movie I saw was about a guy doing voiceover and a guy saying little, but destroying a big part of Texas and not paying for it. Evil wins.

So that would be a "yes" on not liking the nihilism
tongue.gif

Dec 1, 2007 at 11:15 PM Post #42 of 71
Quote:

I think it was a religious movie and in no way nihilistic. TLJ wore a white hat.

Hmm, hadn't considered that. Interesting...

Dec 2, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #43 of 71
Quote:

I think it was a religious movie and in no way nihilistic. TLJ wore a white hat.

Even if the white hat has significance (and it's obviously a symbol used historically in Westerns) - playing with good v. evil - how does that connect with the "religious"? Note, I haven't seen it yet, and the earlier mentioned There Will Be Blood seems to more directly focus on religious themes.

Dec 2, 2007 at 1:41 AM Post #44 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even if the white hat has significance (and it's obviously a symbol used historically in Westerns) - playing with good v. evil - how does that connect with the "religious"? Note, I haven't seen it yet, and the earlier mentioned There Will Be Blood seems to more directly focus on religious themes.

The Coen brothers always make me look under every rock. Simply: Satan (in black) gets his reward as the world self destructs in sin, while GOD (TLJ in white) is seen as the aloof narrator as he ponders what his world has become. He promised free choice, but what a travesty. God can't renege. He promised.

Anyway, that's the movie I saw.

Dec 2, 2007 at 2:26 AM Post #45 of 71
I count Cormac McCarthy among my favorite authors (specifically Blood Meridian and Suttree), and I'm very excited to see No Country For Old Men. I hope Ridley Scott gives Blood Meridian the same kind of treatment the Coens are capable of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back