Best Mids of them all
Apr 23, 2010 at 7:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

h1a8

500+ Head-Fier
Is the se530 still the reining champ? If not then which one has the best mids out of all the iem?

1. Shure se530 (still the best)
2. JVC fx-700
3. Monster's Miles Davis
4. ortofon e-q7
5. Other (discuss)

Discuss smoothness, liquid-like, forwardness, etc. I'm very curious to hear about the MD and JVC fx700 mids in comparison to the se530.

Apr 23, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #3 of 21
Wow! I didn't even think any other phone besides the se530 would get a vote.
The se530 is not even winning here. Did some phones catch up to it in the midrange dept.?

Apr 24, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #5 of 21
I don't think it's fair to compare customs with universals, but then again the OP didn't specify. But in my opinion, if you've heard all of the ones actually listed on your poll, I don't know how anyone could say something is better than the Miles Davis' mids. I mean, they are designed to be a mids-focused iem. On the other hand, the Orto mids are outstanding!! Was never too impressed with the ES530 mids. Can't even remember anything good or bad about them. Oh, I haven't heard the FX700 yet to be fair, but I expect to remedy that by early next week. I see they're here in Chicago already :) ...

Apr 24, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #6 of 21
I've voted "other".

I have the Earsonics SM2 and they are already a leap ahead in the mids compared to the Shure SE420. I'm pretty sure they'll easily beat the SE530.

Even better : they recently released the SM3 which are supposed to be at the very least as detailed as the UM3x with the IE8 soundstage and the musicality of the SM2. These could be the current mids champions, given that Earsonics' line up is always very good in the mids and that the EM3-pro are accordingly better than the JH13 in the mids. The Earsonics mids are by far the most liquid I've ever heard. They're not as forward as the Shures, but still quite proeminent. Overall super smooth. Some people wrote that their mids are like liquid gold poured into your ears.

Overall the Earsonics sound is described as follow :
- Super liquid
- Super refined and elegant
- Very smooth
- On the warm side of neutral
- Not too forward, not too distant - average, but with a very engaging sound signature.
- Smooth bass, even though the SM3 one has been described as tighter than the IE8 one.
- airy, extended and non-fatiguing trebles.

Problem : the SM3 are very expensive outside of the euro zone.

And it does not mean that overall my SM2 are better than top tier headphones (though I'm pretty sure the SM3 are a class above). But regarding mids, I've almost never heard of anybody even criticizing Earsonics' mids in general.

The SM2 have a few flaws that make them not so great for fast and dirty tracks (Nirana for example), but Earsonics accordingly addressed all these issues with the SM3 while improving almost everything at once.

Apr 24, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by MayaTlab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've voted "other".

I have the Earsonics SM2 and they are already a leap ahead in the mids compared to the Shure SE420. I'm pretty sure they'll easily beat the SE530.

Even better : they recently released the SM3 which are supposed to be at the very least as detailed as the UM3x with the IE8 soundstage and the musicality of the SM2. These could be the current mids champions, given that Earsonics' line up is always very good in the mids and that the EM3-pro are accordingly better than the JH13 in the mids. The Earsonics mids are by far the most liquid I've ever heard. They're not as forward as the Shures, but still quite proeminent. Overall super smooth. Some people wrote that their mids are like liquid gold poured into your ears.

Overall the Earsonics sound is described as follow :
- Super liquid
- Very smooth
- On the warm side of neutral
- Not too forward, not too distant - average, but with a very engaging sound signature.
- Smooth bass, even though the SM3 one has been described as tighter than the IE8 one.
- airy, extended and non-fatiguing trebles.

Problem : the SM3 are very expensive outside of the euro zone.

Where did you get this info from?

Apr 24, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic 748i /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where did you get this info from?

There (look for Shizgeo and GuyDebord posts especially) :

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/a...ustoms-473930/

And there (GuyDebord) :

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/kin...73/index5.html

None of them said they were more detailed, but everybody seem to agree that their mids are seductive and beautiful.

That statement about the EM3-pro from GuyDebord is quite bold and explicit (especially the comparison with the R10) :

Quote:

The mids, well I completely agree with shigzeo, they are the best I have heard in any headphone except -possibly- the R10's and my full size stax. Not only the perfect liquid tone I described, but the air around the notes seems to reverberate and produce a very believable soundstage. Space is there, the space of the performance is there and marries with the highs, mids and lows to perfection.

Apr 24, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #10 of 21
I'll admit i'm a total Etymotic fanboy, and I've got to say the Er-4 series. The reproduction of vocals is absolutely flawless.

Apr 24, 2010 at 8:02 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sitruss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll admit i'm a total Etymotic fanboy, and I've got to say the Er-4 series. The reproduction of vocals is absolutely flawless.

As much as I respect the ER4's I'm gonna have to disagree w/ that. Bright and sometimes harsh w/ sibilance, not in the same league as the players here IMO. Have you heard the other phones discussed here?

I personally dont feel the 530's can match the Orto's or MD's especially in dynamics or body. I'd love to hear the FX700's but they are open IEM's so not a purchase I would make. My friend has personally ditched his 3 year old 530's in favor of the Coppers, I think Shure has to play catch up now.

BTW, if 'other' wins the poll, how does that even have any analytical value when it could comprise any number of possible choices?

Apr 24, 2010 at 8:08 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sitruss /img/forum/go_quote.gif

+1, you've read my thoughts

Apr 24, 2010 at 12:29 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by h1a8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow! I didn't even think any other phone besides the se530 would get a vote.
The se530 is not even winning here. Did some phones catch up to it in the midrange dept.?

Personal preference I guess. I never understood why they got such high praise as I think they are a bit too forward sounding but this could be due to the rolled off treble.

Apr 24, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personal preference I guess. I never understood why they got such high praise as I think they are a bit too forward sounding but this could be due to the rolled off treble.

Actually they can be praised for at least one thing : they were the first at this level of equipment and they've been around for years while still reamining competitive in some areas. That's quite an achievement. But given my time with the SE420 and short sessions with the SE530, I agree with you on the maybe too forward mids and the fact that they're now getting outdated even in their strongest departments.

Of course the ER4P are even more of a veteran
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back