Best Mid price Cans with good sized pads/cups.
Jul 9, 2010 at 10:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Bleddyn

New Head-Fier
Im now looking for a new set of Headphones as mine aren't that great i don't think, they are a pair of Phillips SBC HP200 that i got for free. Done some slight modding to them some needed some not really, such as taping the buggers back together after superglue failed but also but stuffing under the pads to fill them out a bit to make them both comfier and sit that little bit further away from my head.

What im looking for is something not to expensive, around £100-250 range, prefer to be in the lower end of that, that have rather large accomodation for ears as i have stretched ear lobes to the size of 14/16mm which is 9/16" to 5/8" so my ears are larger than average in terms of length.

I have been looking at Audio Technicas line and like how alot of theres look on paper and in person and was wondering how they are with a wide range of genres spanning Rock, metal, dubstep, rap, hip hop and pop. Any other reccos are welcome to.

Also to save starting a thread in portables has anyone had any experiance using the ATH ES55 or ES7 that have large ears as im aware they are a supra-aural design.

Bleddyn.

Pic to show the ear to easier explain. (hiding my sin ugly face)
e4c348376b709f8c0d228901ad0f20c3_6168536.jpg

Jul 9, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #2 of 7
As long as you find the clamp comfortable, I can't imagine anyone not having enough room in the caverns of the DT150 pads.  Since you're in Britain, you can get them for relatively cheap, too.

They are unusually tall pads, and deeper than average.  I think you would like them for those music genres, too.

Jul 9, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:
As long as you find the clamp comfortable, I can't imagine anyone not having enough room in the caverns of the DT150 pads.  Since you're in Britain, you can get them for relatively cheap, too.

They are unusually tall pads, and deeper than average.  I think you would like them for those music genres, too.

Thanks for the recommendation, i should also mention i have a rather small head so anything to large on the headband side isnt that great though i have alot of hair to use as padding. 

Jul 10, 2010 at 1:00 AM Post #5 of 7
no offense to the sound of the dt150 but it aint half ugly, and the dt250 isnt much of a looker either, these would be strictly home phones.

planning on some ES7's i think for some portables as i can get them cheaper bought and shipped from the us to the uk than i can buy a pair of ES55's in the uk.

EDIT: What about the Beyer DT660's? 

Jul 10, 2010 at 8:55 AM Post #6 of 7
Been thinking and seeing as these will be a set of home phones ran off a sound card from my pc open cans are also an option though i think id prefer closed cans for bass, as im a bit of a basshead with some filthy dubstep compilations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back