Best Mid-High Sennheiser full-ear portables?
Oct 3, 2010 at 6:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Odrackyir

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone. First post, so I'll pray this is where noobish threads go.

I'm considering buying a pair of senn's portable full-ear headphones. Some of those that you can carry all around and sound great without necessarily having to invest in an amp. I was thinking of something between the HD-448 and the HD-595 (Yes, I need them to be Sennheiser's). Price is irrelevant as long as they sound good and loud enough.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Oct 5, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #2 of 10
The 595's would not exactly be portable. They are also open-back so sound will leak out and in. This means you'll need even more volume to drown out noisy environments, and passers by will hear your music in quiet environments. An amp is not a requirement, but they really wake up with one, you won't be doing them justice. I have the HD555's, which are the same headphones with the exception of a removable foam pad inside the earcups which lowers their sound quality. If you want to try the 595's anyway, go with the 555's, and remove the foam. This will give you the 595's without the price tag. Electronics-expo.com still has a coupon floating around offering them for $75 (expires Oct. 10th). If you want to attempt to use these as portables, you will need to consider changing the connector. They come with a 1/4" (stereo receiver) plug, with an adapter to a 1/8" (mp3 player) plug. This gives you about 3" of connector, almost as long as many mp3 players.

As for the 448's, I haven't heard them, but have read they have good SQ, but are kind of hard to drive, similar to the HD201's. I have the HD203's also. They sound better than my previous HD212 Pro's, are also very bassy (i.e. fun) but they have very little sub-bass. Most of it is punchy around the 80-120hz area, and is not as well controlled as some of their better cans. Mids are adequate, treble is bright but smooth without sibilance or fatigue. They are easy enough to drive without an amp.

If you're a bass head, the most sensitive headphones I've ever owned are the Sony MDR-XB500 (yes I know you wanted Sennheiser). These can be driven to ear-splitting volume from my Sansa Fuze alone, and the bass extends below the range of human hearing with seemingly no roll-off.

Also, if you have Best Buy in your area. Various stores have either the HD203, or the HD448 on demo, from what I've read. Mine, however, had neither, but had the HD201, XB-500 (don't judge the sound from the store), Monster series, Bose, and Koss PortaPro.

Jan 1, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #4 of 10
if you consider 595 as portable, might as well go for 598

Jan 2, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #5 of 10
Ive heard good things about the HD25, my HD595 absolutely SUCK for portable use, they are driven well enough by my ipod I guess, I would prefer a little more power, but the issue is with travel, they have long cords which are easy to trip on, the design is open back and blocks no noise, even worse, outside noise can screw up the sound getting to your ears, muffling certain frequencies, then there is the problem of other people being able to hear them, and if your REALLY discriminating, the doppler effect occurs with cans that arent perpendicular to your ear, its kind hard to explain, but the 595 have angled drivers so 70 m.p.h. might translate to a shift 20 Hz or so downwards.

Jan 2, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #6 of 10
for portable use, the best from senneheiser would be the PX100-200 line, the PX100 are slightly better sounding but open

Jan 2, 2011 at 7:16 AM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
for portable use, the best from senneheiser would be the PX100-200 line, the PX100 are slightly better sounding but open

they actually sound better than HD228/238? I have px100-I, like the KSC75 better, much better

Jan 2, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #8 of 10
HD280s might be the headphones for you. I remember they're foldable, unlike the HD448s. A while ago I saw a guy wearing a pair on the bus...he seemed pretty happy.

Jan 2, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #9 of 10
Oh, another pair to consider is the HD202, nice, clean bass and generally a moderately flat signature, for 15 bucks, they are pretty phenomenal.

Jan 2, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #10 of 10
Ive owned the HD448 and they are kind of hard to drive even with a sansa fuze, which has very high output.  They sounded very lacking and not at all loud, so I say avoid them.

I think you should look at the pxc 450, or the HD380 pro since they are basically the closed back portable version of the HD595 you were thinking of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back