Best Metal IEM - up to 200 USD
Jul 8, 2009 at 1:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

tehort

Head-Fier
Well, after LOTS of reading i am just confused.
I need a earphone that plays well with metal(thrash metal, metallica, megadeth, slayer, and some heavy metal) and as secondary, some pop/rock(u2/led/beatles/black sabbath/etc), i really enjoy fast guitar riffs, like master of puppets, rust in peace, and guitar solos.
The phones can't sound BRIGHT or light bass(at least enough, or plenty)

I was first tempted to the Westone series(um3x, w3) but they're kinda expensive and i dont know if they would really suit me well

some earphones that i have on my mind for now(open for suggestions ofc):

Klipsch x10
Sennheiser IE 7
and Sleek aAudio SA6

They are all on the same price range, around 170~200 bucks
also, as for amp's, the best i could get would be a fiio e5, i'm not willing to spend $$ on amp hehe

My sources are sansa clip and motorola zn5(pretty decent sound ^^)
so I also can't eq.

I have a Philips SHP805, i kinda like the sound of it, so something that sounds similar but better would be great
normal_smile .gif

Jul 8, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #3 of 35
um, I highly advocate for these:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/v...phones-302873/

Highly comparable to the IE8 with better bass, slightly wider soundstage and better instrument separation than the IE8.
Superb with guitars and drums.
Getting some Sony EPEX10A Hybrids/Koss eartips/cushions = highly recommended as the default tips aren't as good.
The deepest reaching bass you'll hear.

Cheapest price at the moment = $136.37 USD including fast ship from Seyo-shop

SEYO-shop.com*»*Headphones*»*JVC-Victor*»*JVC-Victor HP-FX500

Insane bang for buck. The only improve with burn-in. It's a Japanese only release thus you can only get it from Japan at this cheap price.

Jul 8, 2009 at 8:22 AM Post #6 of 35
Future Sonics Atrio. I listen to a lot of metal, mainly thrash, symphonic, progressive and a little black. The bass is just perfect, Metallica's Lars' drums sound excellent, the low end is just excellent with really heavy riffs.

Jul 8, 2009 at 9:19 AM Post #7 of 35
I would also recommend the Atrios. If your not that keen on details (the atrio has details but is a bit over shadowed by BASS) and more of a bass head. the Atrios will really suit your needs. I know of some friends who like Atrios unamped.

But if you have more budget the Senn IE8 has that right mix of bass and highs that can keep you thumping. =)

Just a tip, try looking at the FS section you might find something even cheaper. =)

Jul 8, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #10 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Atrios are a terrible metal IEM, so I am not sure why people are recommending it to you. Dark, slow bloated bass. For you I think the SA6 is far and away the best option.

well, i don't need much bass, just enough
but it can't be lacking, and warm mids with not exagerated high

any opinions on the x10?

Jul 8, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #11 of 35
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/5483631-post9.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll try, but my english is not very accurate, so bear with me. I am not the analytical type of listener sitting in a sound-proof room and paying attention to every detail. I am more the "do I enjoy this or not?" type and only if the answer is "not really" I start analyzing what's bothering me.

Under this perspective I own only two IEMs that I find thoroughly enjoyable: the IE8 and the FX500. I won't go into detail with the IE8, it's being analyzed to death on this forum, for me it is simply THE BEST. I know there is that midbass hump and I can hear it too, but it don't bother me and if I drive them out of the Nuforce Icon it's gone.

The Shure SE530 is certainly a great IEM and has maybe better detail than the IE8, but the bass is somewhat lifeless and the smallish soundstage limits my listening pleasure. Comfort is also not the best.

The X10 can also sound great (though the highs are a bit too much rolled off for my taste). But every tip besides olives gives me hellish microphonics and I find myself fiddling with tips more than I enjoy. Lastly the soundstage is not very wide unless worn over the ears, which they are clearly not intended to.

The Atrio M5 is king of bass allright, but then again the highs are nothing to write home about. The soundstage is no better than the X10's and I've become rather touchy about that "in the head sound" since I own the IE8.

That's where the FX500 steps in and IMO it does everything almost as good as the IE8. It has great and even SQ across the whole spectrum, bass is very quick and punchy, mids and highs are great. Soundstage is second best to the IE8, wide and airy, even isolation is surprisingly good for an open IEM. Like I said before, I greatly enjoy the FX500 and can't find a single fault with it.

Telling you..the FX-500's.....

Some people rate the FX-500 better than the IE8 and it's soundstage and bass is better than the IE8.

Jul 9, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #13 of 35
harsh?

Not really tbh as I have the Fuze, which is the same SQ wise (argueably, some state the Fuze, particularly v1 of it, is better) as and it isn't harsh at all. These do benefit from burn-in.

Jul 9, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #14 of 35
I think the reports of FX500 harshness mostly come from me, but keep in mind that I seem to be the only person in the thread who experiences this problem. At the above price, it definitely is worth a shot ...

Jul 9, 2009 at 7:34 AM Post #15 of 35
Actually I think I can understand why some folks would say the FX500s are harsh, more so in the upper mids. This does reduce to some extent with burn in though. To be honest I really don't notice much harshness now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back