Best Metal IEM - up to 200 USD
Jul 9, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #16 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by ksu06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the reports of FX500 harshness mostly come from me, but keep in mind that I seem to be the only person in the thread who experiences this problem.

You're not the only one. I find it pretty obvious as well.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend the FX500s for metal. While it sounds okay with certain tracks, the harshness in the upper mids combined with the strong bass can sometimes really drown out vocals.

Jul 9, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #17 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by DTKZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're not the only one. I find it pretty obvious as well.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend the FX500s for metal. While it sounds okay with certain tracks, the harshness in the upper mids combined with the strong bass can sometimes really drown out vocals.

Well, I guess that definitely makes me feel better about my ears!

Jul 9, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #18 of 35
what about pfe's with fiio e5 ?
heard their bass improves from the fiio e5 or black filters
dunno if the sound signature could fit metal though

the yuin pk1 also got my attention

Jul 27, 2009 at 5:21 AM Post #19 of 35
I am also trying to find good metal iems under $200 and I just can't find one that anyone agrees on. There are several threads like this and no one seems to agree on a single good metal iem.

Jul 27, 2009 at 12:00 PM Post #20 of 35
Head-Direct.com | YUIN

Wow, you'd have to be crazy to pass up this deal. I use mine all the time and even at full retail ($200), I still consider them to be an outrageous bargain. We just had our NJ Head-Fi meet this weekend, and I often bring around my HF-1's and RE0's with me to test other rigs as sources, and one this is abundantly clear: these are a seriously kick-butt pair of earphones with an outrageously good high-end. Does anyone else own these?

Jul 27, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #23 of 35
I wouldn't say they're cold, but they're definitely analytical. I'll listen to any of my music on them (anything from pipe organ to liquid tension experiment), but perhaps you're right about heavy metal not working well with them, especially considering how poorly mastered most of it is.

Jul 27, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #25 of 35
I have the atrios, and agree that they are definately not a metal IEM. However, I found them better than PFEs (unamped) for metal.
Atrios are too dark and too slow.
Despite this I still use them for metal, as I am happy with what they do provide and use full sized cans when I want real sound quality.

Jul 28, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #26 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by DTKZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would suggest the Monster Turbines actually. If you're in the US, I think you can get them for $100 online.

Any specific reasons why the turbines are good for metal?

Jul 30, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #28 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by cornman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm also looking at the custom 3's, sa6 and ie7 but can't decide which ones to get. Would any of those be better than the turbines?

I think all three are superrior than Turbine to shows more details. Custom 3 and IE7 are warm n have more bass than SA6.

Jul 30, 2009 at 5:25 AM Post #29 of 35
Does more detail automatically mean less forgiving of recording quality? Because I want to hear as much detail as possible but still sound good with less than perfect production quality.

Jul 30, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #30 of 35
It's more possible in high end IEMs line to show more details n also shows bad recordings. If it's low bitrate file then it's sound muddy than on reg earbuds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back