Best (metal) headphones in build class
Jan 28, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #31 of 52

Quote:
When you say the hinges of the swivel cups and earpad material are not of usual Gardo fare what do you mean?  Perhaps they are shoddy?

Are they just plastic?

What I meant was that they are of the usual Grado fare, meaning that the earpads are regular foam (they're very large earpads, too). Also, the hinges are quite thin to support the weight of the giant metal cups. The headband, too, is quite sparse. Only in the metal and the sound does the PS1000 seem to be a top-level headphone.

Jan 29, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #32 of 52
Thank you for the information. I would suspect with a headphone costing that much it would be made better.

It sounds like the PS500 may not last then if the PS1000 has this issue.

How would one compare the PS1000 to the Beyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350 to the Bowers & Wilkins P5 Mobile HiFi Stereo Headphones ultimately with the Ultrasone Edition 8/9 or?

Would one consider all these portable? With respect to build quality?  The need for a amp?
Now I'm not even sure which direction to go... 

Quote:
What I meant was that they are of the usual Grado fare, meaning that the earpads are regular foam (they're very large earpads, too). Also, the hinges are quite thin to support the weight of the giant metal cups. The headband, too, is quite sparse. Only in the metal and the sound does the PS1000 seem to be a top-level headphone.

Jan 29, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #33 of 52

Quote:
Thank you for the information. I would suspect with a headphone costing that much it would be made better.

It sounds like the PS500 may not last then if the PS1000 has this issue.

How would one compare the PS1000 to the Beyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350 to the Bowers & Wilkins P5 Mobile HiFi Stereo Headphones ultimately with the Ultrasone Edition 8/9 or?

Would one consider all these portable? With respect to build quality?  The need for a amp?
Now I'm not even sure which direction to go... 

PS1000 is the least portable headphone one could possibly imagine, LCD-3 and the now out of production
 AKG K1000 would be other worthy contenders. Can you see yourself wearing over half a kilo on your head
 that looks like this? :)

Ultrasone Ed 9 is no longer in production, Edition 8, DT1350 and P5 are all designed to be portable.

P5 build quality? Yikes ~ now that's one shoddily built headphone, the cord is about 2mm thick and
 they just look nasty, after encountering one last week.

Jan 29, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #34 of 52
Building off of what was already said, the DT1350 and ED8 would be your best options for portability. However, the ED8 won't perform anywhere near its full capability portably, even if it technically "can" be used as a portable. I'd go DT1350 because they're lightweight, relatively inexpensive, and work great even unamped.

Jan 29, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #35 of 52

Thanks for the reply.

So based on the replies P5 is out based on build quality despite being good in portablity and not needing an amp?

How does the sound quality and durability compare of the DT1350 and ED8?
Are the ED8's something that will be a bear to travel with?  When you state that they can operate without an amp is that something that is feasible or just downright misleading from the manufacturer?

Im surprised the p5 wasnt received more positively.
Thanks again for all this help!

Quote:
Building off of what was already said, the DT1350 and ED8 would be your best options for portability. However, the ED8 won't perform anywhere near its full capability portably, even if it technically "can" be used as a portable. I'd go DT1350 because they're lightweight, relatively inexpensive, and work great even unamped.

Jan 29, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #36 of 52

And yes the PS1000 is quite a monster with regards to portability. LOL

Quote:
 PS1000 is the least portable headphone one could possibly imagine, LCD-3 and the now out of production
 AKG K1000 would be other worthy contenders. Can you see yourself wearing over half a kilo on your head
 that looks like this? :)

Ultrasone Ed 9 is no longer in production, Edition 8, DT1350 and P5 are all designed to be portable.

P5 build quality? Yikes ~ now that's one shoddily built headphone, the cord is about 2mm thick and
 they just look nasty, after encountering one last week.

Jan 29, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #37 of 52

Quote:
And yes the PS1000 is quite a monster with regards to portability. LOL

Not to mention the sound leakage alone would have people wondering who is that guy with the high end portable speakers on his head!

Jan 30, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #38 of 52
The DT1350 is the best if you want to go portable.

Jan 31, 2012 at 5:34 AM Post #41 of 52

Quote:
So the ED8 isnt portable at all?

Pictures don't lie 
smile.gif

Still think for less cash the Ultrasone Signature Pro is the better
 option ~ it folds, it's slightly more forgiving and warm, separation
 and sound stage are superior plus the general bass signature is
 tight and welcoming for all genres.

Plus it's tougher than Chuck Norris branded jerky - you won't
 be damaging it.

Jan 31, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #42 of 52
The P5 is a pretty good headphone for those not into headphones, but it's not true audiophile material. The ED8 will blow it away in sound quality, but technically won't be able to reach anywhere near its maximum sound from an iPod. The DT1350 is your best bet for something lightweight and portable to use unamped that's still metal.

Feb 1, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #43 of 52
Thank you for the photo. It helps immensely.

The signature Pro doesn't seem quite as appealing considering they're both in similar price ranges.

Quote:
 Pictures don't lie 
smile.gif

Still think for less cash the Ultrasone Signature Pro is the better
 option ~ it folds, it's slightly more forgiving and warm, separation
 and sound stage are superior plus the general bass signature is
 tight and welcoming for all genres.

Plus it's tougher than Chuck Norris branded jerky - you won't
 be damaging it.

Feb 1, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #44 of 52
Is the DT1350 considered audiophile?

Quote:
The P5 is a pretty good headphone for those not into headphones, but it's not true audiophile material. The ED8 will blow it away in sound quality, but technically won't be able to reach anywhere near its maximum sound from an iPod. The DT1350 is your best bet for something lightweight and portable to use unamped that's still metal.

Feb 1, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #45 of 52

Quote:
Is the DT1350 considered audiophile?

My point was that the P5 is consumerist. It does portability and style well, but doesn't do sound great for the price. The ED8 does sound amazingly, but isn't a really awesome portable. The DT1350 does portable great and also sounds at its best as a portable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back