Best (metal) headphones in build class
Jan 16, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #2 of 52

Quote:
I was curious if anyone could recommend the best quality headphones made of real aluminium (or other metal) versus plastic. 

Price range? What genres are you into? Would you use them just from an iPod or at home? Would you consider buying an amp or DAC?

Jan 16, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #4 of 52

Beyerdynamic DT1350. Beautiful build quality, small and portable,.

Jan 16, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #5 of 52
You're probably going to have a lot of luck with Beyerdynamic. The DT1350 mentioned above, the T 50 p, the T 70 p, and almost every other Beyer can is great.

Jan 16, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #7 of 52

You would not see me out in the middle of a rice field wearing these during a lightning storm.

Jan 16, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #10 of 52
+1 another vote for beyer here.

Jan 17, 2012 at 7:41 AM Post #11 of 52
The Final Audio Deisgn headphones come in at $5K, so they better sound good if and when they are out.

Jan 17, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #12 of 52

Quote:
I was curious if anyone could recommend the best quality headphones made of real aluminium (or other metal) versus plastic. 

I would not buy headphones made of metal - plastic is very much better.

By "plastic" I mean a modern polymer rather than a cheap plastic, of course.

Metal will have a resonant frequency that will affect and change the sound and is something I avoid in headphones.

The silly thing is that people seem to think plastic is "cheap", when the reality is that a modern polymer is actually very much better than metal.

Jan 17, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #13 of 52

Quote:
I would not buy headphones made of metal - plastic is very much better.

By "plastic" I mean a modern polymer rather than a cheap plastic, of course.

Metal will have a resonant frequency that will affect and change the sound and is something I avoid in headphones.

The silly thing is that people seem to think plastic is "cheap", when the reality is that a modern polymer is actually very much better than metal.

I second this. Just look at the Sennheiser HD800, which was made out of plastic for a very specific reason of decreasing resonance. however, there's no argument that Beyerdynamic is still pretty good.

Jan 17, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #15 of 52

Quote:
So these are the 5K phones???

Wow.

That and the SR009. I think that unless its sound is revolutionary, this FAD can will tank. They always were kind of an eccentric lifestyle brand, so it may find a niche success (as if the audiophile market wasn't niche enough) despite its weight and weaponlike looks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back