Best (metal) headphones in build class
Jan 17, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #17 of 52

Quote:
That is crazy expensive. out of the Beyerdynamic, the  DT1350 are best?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks so much!

I personally prefer the T 50 p for portable use, but I haven't had a lot of time with the DT1350. 

You'd probably want to amp both of them, though the T 50 p at least can run without an amp. I'll let somebody more experienced with Beyers (I've only tested three or four of their range) give better advice than I can.

Jan 20, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #18 of 52
What materials are the T50 made of?  What about the DT1350?

Quote:
I personally prefer the T 50 p for portable use, but I haven't had a lot of time with the DT1350. 

You'd probably want to amp both of them, though the T 50 p at least can run without an amp. I'll let somebody more experienced with Beyers (I've only tested three or four of their range) give better advice than I can.

Jan 20, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #19 of 52
If I was rich enough to own these I would totally go walking around in them! How many headphones do you know that you could beat the crap out of someone with if they tried to mug you?

Quote:

You would not see me out in the middle of a rice field wearing these during a lightning storm.

Jan 21, 2012 at 5:34 AM Post #20 of 52
Quote:
You'd probably want to amp both of them

The DT1350 is very sensitive (much more so than the old DT770/880/990 series) and it is easy to drive, roughly comparable to the HD25-1 II.

Jan 21, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #22 of 52

Quote:
The DT 1350 is sensitive yet the T50p is better for portable use?  Which is better in the ssound quality department ?  What about build quality?

No question that the DT1350 is a much nicer sounding headphone than the T50p. Build quality is very similar.

Both look practically the same.

Jan 21, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #23 of 52
V-Moda Crossfade LP/M80. They are mostly steel aside from where the earcup attaches to the headband, which is made of plastic. This plastic decided to crack and have a piece break off, but is still holding together.

Jan 22, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #24 of 52

Quote:
V-Moda Crossfade LP/M80. They are mostly steel aside from where the earcup attaches to the headband, which is made of plastic. This plastic decided to crack and have a piece break off, but is still holding together.

Hmm disappointing stuff and here I was thinking one of the best things about this headphone was the build quality.

Good for pop and any bass inclined music ~ not so great for everything else, they drop a mid bass hump into everything.

Jan 25, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #25 of 52
How would you rate and compare the following cans with respect to: build- quality(emphasis on quality materials and how long they will last. I generally prefer the fit and finish of metals over cheap plastics), general sound quaility, and if an amplifer is needed to use these with an ipod.
[size=1.7em]  [/size]
[size=1.7em]
The well spoken of DT 1350; 
[/size]
[size=1.7em]
 ​
[/size]
[size=1.7em]
AKG K702 Headphones;
[/size]
[size=1.7em]
 ​
[/size]
[size=1.7em]
Grado Prestige Series SR325is;
[/size]
[size=1.7em]
 ​
[/size]
[size=1.7em]
AKG Q 701 Quincy Jones Signature Reference-Class;
[/size]
[size=1.7em]
 ​
[/size]
[size=1.7em]
Grado H2;
[/size]
[size=1.7em]
 ​
[/size]
 ​
Grado PS500 or 
Grado PS1000
 ​
Ultrasone PRO 900
 ​
AKG K 701 WHITE HEADPHONES

Jan 26, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #26 of 52
I'd say the Beyerdynamics and Ultrasone ED8 fit the build quality standard best.

Jan 27, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #28 of 52

Quote:
How do the Grado series compare (i.e. 
Grado PS500 or ​
Grado PS1000)​

The actual metal part of the PS1000 (I have no experience with the PS500) makes up the bulk of the headphone's weight, and is absolutely top-notch in build quality. However, the hinges of the swiveling cups and the earpad material are not upgraded from the usual Grado fare. Also, the metal is quite prone to smudging.

Jan 28, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #29 of 52

They're all really well built headphones ~ only note would be for the PS1000 in case the glue from the rods dislodge, this is common
 with the 325i also ~ however, it's largely superficial and only related to the headband. Easy 2 minute superglue fix. The PS1000 should
 also probably benefit from an aftermarket or custom leather headband to support the extra weight.

Edition #8 needs to be watched carefully as the side rubber grommets between the cups and headband can wear over time, if
 ignored ~ direct metal contact will occur.

Jan 28, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #30 of 52

When you say the hinges of the swivel cups and earpad material are not of usual Gardo fare what do you mean?  Perhaps they are shoddy?

Are they just plastic?

Quote:
The actual metal part of the PS1000 (I have no experience with the PS500) makes up the bulk of the headphone's weight, and is absolutely top-notch in build quality. However, the hinges of the swiveling cups and the earpad material are not upgraded from the usual Grado fare. Also, the metal is quite prone to smudging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back