Best Media Player on a PC???
Dec 30, 2006 at 11:27 AM Post #61 of 70
Returned to Foobar after I visited the foobar gallery thread and discovered plugins on hydrogenaudio forum on google
icon10.gif

I have both MPC and VLC for video. I think the codec pack I installed for MPC (K-Lite, some people use CCC - is there a difference?) means MPC support more medium - plus I have real + quicktime alternative which is always a good thing. But I find on certain DVDs, VLC will play it back better than MPC. I dunno. I now use VLC for DVDs and MPC for everything else

Dec 30, 2006 at 12:16 PM Post #63 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnylexus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can someone explain what "asio out plugin" is all about? Do only certain soundcards support it?

The asio output plugin is a way to bypass the windows kernel mixer (Kmixer) so that the software media player (MediaMonkey, Foobar etc.) has a direct path to the soundcard driver. Many people prefer the sound quality doing it this way. I don't hear a big difference but there is a slight difference.

http://www.coyotes.bc.ca/SoundCards.html

Dec 30, 2006 at 1:40 PM Post #64 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatticus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The asio output plugin is a way to bypass the windows kernel mixer (Kmixer) so that the software media player (MediaMonkey, Foobar etc.) has a direct path to the soundcard driver. Many people prefer the sound quality doing it this way. I don't hear a big difference but there is a slight difference.

http://www.coyotes.bc.ca/SoundCards.html

The real advantage with ASIO is to achieve bit-perfect playback. It's practically impossible without skipping the Kmixer (or is impossible). Why should I spend all my time and all that disk space ripping to lossless if I can't play it back bitperfect?

And I do notice quite a difference when switching off ASIO. All more the reason to use foobar2000 w/ ASIO
wink.gif

Dec 30, 2006 at 7:48 PM Post #66 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnylexus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can someone explain what "asio out plugin" is all about? Do only certain soundcards support it?

bump

Dec 30, 2006 at 8:56 PM Post #68 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And I do notice quite a difference when switching off ASIO. All more the reason to use foobar2000 w/ ASIO
wink.gif

But I can use MediaMonkey with ASIO too. MediaMonkey has much better organizational options than foobar. Try searching for one specific song in your
20,000 song library with foobar, with MediaMoneky I can find it in a second or so.

Dec 30, 2006 at 9:10 PM Post #69 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by technobarbie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another vote for Jriver Media Center.

x3
I have been very pleased with the performance enhancements in MC12, it is amazingly fast even with HUGE libraries. As good as it is as a player, it is even better as a file manager & tagger, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back