Best Media Player on a PC???
Dec 22, 2006 at 11:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 70

oicdn

Headphoneus Supremus
What do you all use to play your music on your laptops/PCs???? Is it just me, or does WMP sound muffled/veiled???

WHat do you guys use???

Dec 22, 2006 at 11:30 PM Post #2 of 70
iTunes here

For several reasons:
* The major, and imo the best, audio player for Mac OS X.
* AirTunes support (which I need to stream audio to my two AirPort Express').
* Lossless audio support (Apple Lossless).

Dec 22, 2006 at 11:38 PM Post #4 of 70
Foobar2000 for audio, Itunes for ipod synching, Media Player Classic for video.

Foobar allows for totaly control and configuration of your sound output setup. You can choose directsound, kernel sound, or ASIO output and then you can change the resolution of the outupt (16,24 bit, etc.). Very configurable and sounds great.

Itunes is ok, but it doesnt sound ideal, plus version 7 is super slow and clunky.

MPC is an awesome media player for videos because its a very small program, loads fast, supports pretty much everything, and is very configurable.

Dec 22, 2006 at 11:43 PM Post #5 of 70
foobar2000 for audio, Media Player Classic for video. Yamipod for syncing to iPod.

Dec 22, 2006 at 11:53 PM Post #6 of 70
foobar2000 for audio

VLC, WMP, or MPC for video. I tend to use VLC unless something won't work, then I'll try MPC. I use WMP for WMV files because sometimes you can't fast forward/rewind well in VLC with wmv.

Dec 22, 2006 at 11:56 PM Post #7 of 70
foobar2000 for music media player classic for video.

Dec 23, 2006 at 12:01 AM Post #9 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alucard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Foobar for audio, Video Lan Codec (VLC) for video.

Same here. Ipod is Rockboxed, so I just drag-n-drop FLAC to it
cool.gif
, no need for iTunes.

Dec 23, 2006 at 12:36 AM Post #11 of 70
foobar for every music format for replay gain and kernal streaming support

http://www.foobar2000.org/

combined community codec pack with windows media player classic for all video formats. mpc seems to have the lowest overhead, works great for resizing, adjusting aspect ratios, ect. and ffdshow with haali media splitter plays everything with the best quality and tweaks.

http://www.cccp-project.net/

Dec 23, 2006 at 2:17 AM Post #14 of 70
The quality that you get will depend on a lot of things:

1) iTunes is great on a PC IF you are using a wireless converter such as Olive, SB, or AE. iTunes is NOT great on a PC if you are using a USB converter because it has no way of bypassing KMIXER

2) iTunes however is great on a MAC because there is no KMIXER and the native drivers are excellent. Resampler is not so good however.

3) Foobar can only be run on a PC, or a PC OS. Foobar is excellent for USB converters because it has options for ASIO plug-ins and resampling plug-ins as well as other DSP functions. User interface can be tailored to your taste. My personal favorite.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
Manufacturer

Dec 23, 2006 at 2:22 AM Post #15 of 70
Oh my god.....Foobar is sooooooo plain, but jesus christ does it sound good!!!! Talk about completely not caring about the aesthetics....wow, never looking back to anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back