Best Media Player on a PC???
Dec 29, 2006 at 1:19 AM Post #46 of 70
Winamp with ASIO gives you the best sound quality you can have with very little trouble to set-up and is very easy to use.

Naturally, if you want to have full control over your audio or use the best resampling out there, then foobar is the way to go (I don't need to as my DAC takes care of that). For everything else, winamp+asio is as good as it gets and doesn't need you to spend countless hours browsing the forums to find out how to make it user-friendly.

By the way, Traktor Beatport Player actually IS very good regarding sound quality, at least if your card has native ASIO support because it allows you to use it directly. 'under the hood' it seems to work very much like Traktor's other pro-audio software. However, it isn't very good at managing your media library...

Dec 29, 2006 at 4:00 AM Post #47 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vagabond /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got J. River Media Center, and it looks like I'll be giving up everything else because of it. It's the best media player I've used, out of iTunes, WMP, Winamp, MediaMonkey, and Foobar.

I'm not an expert on this stuff, buy for my money, I used JRiver for a few years and it just kept getting bigger and more bloated as time went on ... too complex and clunky for me. I am using Media Monkey now and like it quite a bit.

Cheers.

Dec 29, 2006 at 11:18 AM Post #49 of 70
Foobar2000 for my music collection

Windows Media Player Classic for temporary audio files and video (using codecs K-Lite Codec Pack, Real Alternative and Quicktime Alternative)

-> They offer full support for all the media types I use with only two different players. They're both fast, lightweight and highly customizable.

Dec 29, 2006 at 12:02 PM Post #50 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by luckybaer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Winamp or Windoze Media Slayer for audio.

Media Player Classic for video.

Apple iToonz for synching my iPod Nano and ripping for the Nano.

Oh, yeah. I forgot about Foobar. I use that a lot for listening, too.

I rip primarily with WinAmp on one PC and with iTunes on the other.

Dec 30, 2006 at 1:57 AM Post #52 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnylexus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not an expert on this stuff, buy for my money, I used JRiver for a few years and it just kept getting bigger and more bloated as time went on ... too complex and clunky for me. I am using Media Monkey now and like it quite a bit.

Cheers.

Too bloated? Really? J. River always loads up right away for me, and it never takes up more than 15% of my resources (can't say that about iTunes). Really, though, comparing J. River and MediaMonkey is apples and oranges. J. River is built to handle all of your media: Music, photos, videos, etc. while MediaMonkey does one thing (music), but does it amazingly. I especially love the Amazon tagging, and I still use it for that, but J. River gives me a "jack of all trades, master of none" type of program, and I'm fine with that. Plus, Theater View with remote support is like getting a free upgrade to Windows MCE.
wink.gif

Dec 30, 2006 at 2:20 AM Post #53 of 70
foobar for audios, MPC for videos, windvd for DVDs.

Dec 30, 2006 at 3:08 AM Post #55 of 70
I like Amarok when I have the whole catalog humming along.

Really great features for managing a nice dynamic pick-and-chose playlist . The iPod support is handy too.

XMMS is being used less and less now, though I still like it after using it for so long.

Dec 30, 2006 at 3:29 AM Post #56 of 70
Winamp with kernal streaming to my usb "guzzler" dac or echo indigo, period. End of story. I tried foobar and don't feel like spending all my time tweaking and tinkering. The winamp enhancer, binaural, and other plugins make it easy. And the fact is that foobar does not sound one iota better than winamp, even the foobar website will tell you that...and this is just my opinion
tongue.gif
!

Dec 30, 2006 at 4:07 AM Post #57 of 70
I’m smitten with Media Center too. I use it only for music even though that’s just a small portion of what it does. It’s amazing how such a robust program can feel so light on it feet. The new beta is out and I don’t know how they did it but it’s a major improvement over version 11.

Starts up in under 2 sec on my pc and decodes .ape files using 1% cpu usage. The new theater view in version 12 is superior to Windows MCE, much more responsive and easier to navigate. Music is its focus as I think there are better DVD players and better image organizers out there but no better music players IMO.

Dec 30, 2006 at 5:16 AM Post #58 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatticus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have foobar and MediaMonkey installed and for the price (free) I like MediaMonkey better because it has a lot more organizational features and a search function. It also supports asio out plugin. Check it out.

http://www.mediamonkey.com/

Can someone explain what "asio out plugin" is all about? Do only certain soundcards support it?

Dec 30, 2006 at 7:57 AM Post #60 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by edisonwu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
foobar for audios, MPC for videos, windvd for DVDs.

mpc can play dvds... why win dvd?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back