Best matching headphone valve amp for Sony CD3000
Aug 19, 2010 at 3:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ouaiba

New Head-Fier
I am an happy owner of a Sony CD-3000 (cd3000 or cd3k), I know there is better out there but I like the soundstage and the brightness of the Sony and it is very comfortable. Some years ago I had a valve amp, Quad II to name it, and I am missing the warmth and definition of a good valve amp. Today I am looking for a good partner to my sony, my short list is:
- J.Sound Lab headphone trans-out
- Woo audio 3
- Darkvoice 336se or 3322
- Bottlehead S.e.X

[size=medium][size=small]I like to hear from people which have listened to one of this amp with the cd3000. [/size][/size]
I am also open to suggestion :wink:
Cheers
Seb

Aug 19, 2010 at 6:38 AM Post #2 of 11

The CD3000 sounds great from most sources but I prefer it from a good SS amp,but I could be biased as well.

The last time I listened to tubes with them was a MAD Ear+HD and it was to soft,lacked life.

Oh and I can assure you that there is not that much better out there,just different flavours.

Aug 19, 2010 at 9:37 AM Post #3 of 11
Cheers Ford2, I am agree about the different flavours though :))
Thanks about your comment about the ss amp, I maybe just too much hypnotised by the glowing light of the valves ahaha. 

Aug 19, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #4 of 11
IME tubes cannot really feed the cd3k to its full potential...I only tried a "Little Country III" but I did try to roll a bunch of tubes, these things really don't provide enough resolution to the HD-sounding cd3k drivers.

Aug 19, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
IME tubes cannot really feed the cd3k to its full potential...I only tried a "Little Country III" but I did try to roll a bunch of tubes, these things really don't provide enough resolution to the HD-sounding cd3k drivers.

The MDR-R10 sounds phenomenal through a proper tube amplifier: Blubliss' rig is a perfect example. So why can't the cd3k?

Aug 19, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #6 of 11

The MDR-R10 sounds phenomenal through a proper tube amplifier: Blubliss' rig is a perfect example. So why can't the cd3k?

I'll blame the LC3 itself, then. I believe the opamps superseded the tubes for a good reason, and it's called harmonic distortion. Also, some ppl are details freaks, some aren't...I guess the only way to find out is to try and see how the OP likes it.

Aug 19, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

I'll blame the LC3 itself, then. I believe the opamps superseded the tubes for a good reason, and it's called harmonic distortion. Also, some ppl are details freaks, some aren't...I guess the only way to find out is to try and see how the OP likes it.

Triodes are actually lower distortion devices than transistors when compared on their own without feedback (which opamps normally have loads of when in use). It's all in how you use them.

I agree, the best way is to try and find out
beerchug.gif

Aug 20, 2010 at 4:12 AM Post #8 of 11
Thank you all for your comments, so far I know that the Little Country III is not a good option. 
Anybody out there use the cd3k with a valve amp he can recommend?

Aug 23, 2010 at 4:30 AM Post #9 of 11
Afer spending some time on this site and other I came to the following short list:
- Micro Zolt
- Singlepower PP3X
- perreaux sxh1
- earmax pro
- Wheatfield HA-1
- PPA
all these seem to be a great match with the cd3000 but most of them are not produce today.
So what's left?
My B-list is the following:
- Bottlehead S.e.x
- J. sound Lab headphone
- Bada PH-12

There is certainly other good match with more recent valve-amp or Kit ... does anyone has some good experience/advice to share?

Aug 23, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #10 of 11
Without going through the specs of all the amps on your list, I can say this:

Since the CD3000's are only 32 ohms, if you go the tube route, get a transformer coupled amp instead of an OTL.  Transformer coupled tube amps can handle both low and high impedance cans very well, whereas OTL amps do much better with high impedance cans and often poorly with low impedance cans.

Aug 23, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #11 of 11

Quote:
Since the CD3000's are only 32 ohms, if you go the tube route, get a transformer coupled amp instead of an OTL.  Transformer coupled tube amps can handle both low and high impedance cans very well, whereas OTL amps do much better with high impedance cans and often poorly with low impedance cans.

Agreed, good advise. I heard the woo3, dv336, and bottlehead and wouldnt recomend any of themwith low inpedance cans. SS will probably do the best. You could always get a tube dac/cdp and input it into a ss amp troget your warmth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back