Best MAC HQ DAP options
Oct 31, 2010 at 10:45 AM Post #16 of 25
Keyboard USB of course are peripherals that draw their own power. The same Mac will run the HM602 with Windows, so it isn't a computer issue, and the iPad, that no laptop and hardly any desktop can power (for fast charging) works fine on any Mac. It isn't the hardware current problem, it is a problem with the unit's USB interface.

Oct 31, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #17 of 25

Quote:
HM-602 does work on most mac computers. We did a lot of test on a Mac mini this week. We noticed that HM-602 can be identified by the USB port in the back panel, but it does have problem when connecting to USB port on the keyboard.

The problem in all of the cases discussed on the boards have been specifically with Mac laptops, not desktops, so there wouldn't be an issue with USB ports on the back panel vs. the keyboard. On Mac laptops, there are two USB ports on the left side of the machine.

Quote:
So far we only got two customers complain about their HM-602 can not work on their mac.

There are at least three people (and maybe more -- I don't want to go through and count) who've posted on the head-fi forums alone, although one of those was able to fix the problem through a series of reformatting. Like I said, I was able to get my unit to work by using the 602 on a different (older) Macbook. I also brought my Macbook in to Apple and had it checked out (I have an Applecare warranty) and there's nothing wrong with the USB ports on my computer, which was unable to work with the 602.
Like I said, I'm not trying to slag the 602 -- as anyone who reads through the threads on it can see, there are a lot of people who really love the sound quality and think it's a great deal.
However, the fact that in some cases it doesn't play nice with Macbooks, combined with the fact that it doesn't play Apple lossless files -- which is what a lot of audiophile Mac users will have -- it seemed logical to assume that there are some Macbook owners in the same boat as me and were trying to find a high-quality alternative.
That said, I changed the headline on the thread to make clear that people shouldn't think the 602 simply doesn't work with Macs -- I can see how that would be bothersome to someone who clearly has spent a lot of time and effort producing what a large number of people think is a superior product.

Nov 4, 2010 at 11:04 AM Post #18 of 25
If I have enough time  to compare and enough ability to describe  what I'm going find out about the sound quality of my
JH13+Twag replacementCable plugged into the following :
1   Whipmod + Whiplod reference Elite + Meier Stepdance
2   HM801
3   mini to mini DNA + Sony D-777 or D-25s + Meier stepdance.

I will write my impression here.

For now I'm still  waiting for my JH13 (remolded by UM) and my friend's HM801 to come.

Nov 4, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #19 of 25

Quote:
If I have enough time  to compare and enough ability to describe  what I'm going find out about the sound quality of my
JH13+Twag replacementCable plugged into the following :
1   Whipmod + Whiplod reference Elite + Meier Stepdance
2   HM801
3   mini to mini DNA + Sony D-777 or D-25s + Meier stepdance.

I will write my impression here.

I, for one, can't wait to read your impressions. All of those options are out of my price range -- I was practically drooling at the thought of trying those rigs out -- but it'd be fascinating to hear and I think instructive for the future.

Nov 7, 2010 at 11:58 AM Post #20 of 25

Nov 7, 2010 at 12:43 PM Post #21 of 25
I still don't have the HM801 in my hands,but today in the morning I had a chance to try the HM602.I then compared  D25s,D777 ,Whipmod + WhipLod reference aka "Fat boy" and HM602 (I just took the picture 10 minutes ago,that's why you  guys don't see the HM602 .
Here is my ranking
1 D777 + HGA DNA + StepDance : Both D777 and D25s very good soundstage seem to be airier than listen to the Whipmod and HM602 ,D777 sounds round nice warm and analog compared to the D25s but in some records D25s is better because its sparlink treble.

2 D25s + HGA DNA + StepDance : as mention above 

3 Whipmod+WhipLod Reference + Stepdance ,   really great Detail ,dark blackground,great dynamic. .The combination is  really great ,but I feel the PCDP can give you a better airier soundstage.   . 

4 D777 headphones out, D25s headphones out soundstage still better,but by a margin compared to a whipmod combo,but somehow listening to the headphone out lacks some dynamic the stepdance gives.

5 HM602 + HGA DNA + Stepdance : Easy to notice ,that this combination is better than the HM602 alone. 
6 HM602 headphones out : Great sound ,better than the headphones out of all Ipod I heard.Sound seem to be color a little bit,but it's fun to listen too.
If I'm not wrong ,I feel the bass is a little boosted up ,nice treble no roll of here,decent soundstage.If I have to choose a player to go without amp and cable ,I will choose HM602 above the PCDP (not ideal for portable :p ) and Whipmod.

7 Whipmod headphones out. : not worth buying whipmod if you just use its headphone out.

Conclusion : Vintage PCDPs are still better than Whipmod combo and HM602.

Whipmod is a very good source because it is not  colored   like HM602 and has far better detail than the HM602. But it's really useless if you use only the headphone out (I would say 15% better than Ipod video :p). Cable suggestion for whipmod = WhipLod reference .The normal Whiplod with C-Blackgate is an ok-cable ,but if you want the best thing for your whipmod ,you only need the "Fatboy" (I owned the Normal Whiplod with c-blackgate and Oyaide mini jack.It sounds good,but still far behind the Whiplod reference.it's really noticeable,that's the reason I sold my normal WhipLod) 

HM602 : very good DAP for its price.It far better than all other ipod +amp and better than the headphone out of the Whipmod .

Headphones in this comparision are Denon D7000 and JVC Victor DX1000

I'm sorry I can't give you guys a better picture,because I'm not good at describing things,but anyway hope this helps.

p.s I don't know when will I get the HM801 from my friend ,but as soon as I get it,I will post my short impression here again

Nov 9, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #22 of 25
There is no surprise to me that those vintage PCDPs could beat most of today's DAPs in sound performance.  Back then, they were built from high-quality components and priced accordingly.

How much burn-in did you do on the HM-602, WhipMOD and most importantly, the Fat Boy WhipLOD?

Nov 9, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #23 of 25
Mac users need to use Disk Utility to partition the HM602. The instructions are in the 602 impressions thread around pg 44 ish. I had the same disk eject problem with my. 15" MBP (2009). Until I folioed the instructions referenced above.

Nov 12, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #24 of 25
Quote:
coolcat said:

Conclusion : Vintage PCDPs are still better than Whipmod combo and HM602.

Except that you need to carry around a boatload of CDs. Aargh. There's something so frustrating about the fact that there's nothing reasonable out there that matches old CD players in sound quality.

Quote:
Mac users need to use Disk Utility to partition the HM602. The instructions are in the 602 impressions thread around pg 44 ish. I had the same disk eject problem with my. 15" MBP (2009). Until I folioed the instructions referenced above.

That doesn't work for everyone (and didn't work for me) -- there are at least some machines where there seems to be something intrinsic between the way the USB is drawing power from Macs (while running OSX, anyway). It doesn't seem to be a huge problem, though, and HD has clearly stated that if that is a problem they're willing to see if they can modify the 602's USB connection so it's not a problem. Certainly any Mac owner who feels like the 602 is right for them shouldn't hold out because of this issue.

Feb 28, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #25 of 25
held off on the head direct DAPs because of the Apple user issues. 

can Apple computer users who use these DAPs comment on whether the issues have been ironed out?

I really want something portable to play hi-rez flac into my IEMs...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back