Best live recordings
Oct 22, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #46 of 98
The Counting Crows - Live in the Heineken Music Hall

Pretty high on the awesome scale and has a lot of stereoplay in it. The Hammond in St Robinson in his Cadillac Dream has a part where you can feel the player's fingers sliding back and forth. Very impressed, my favourite album for weeks already.

Oct 22, 2008 at 5:03 PM Post #47 of 98
Kari Bremnes - Live

Excellent sound quality, as most of her other recordings.

Oct 22, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #48 of 98
Grateful Dead - Closing of Winterland

Oct 22, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #49 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nils Lofgren - "Acoustic Live"

Bumping and quoting to thank krmathis (and the thread) for this great sounding CD recommendation.

Oct 23, 2008 at 3:17 AM Post #50 of 98
Eric Clapton - Unplugged
Nirvana - Unplugged
Eagles - Hell Freezes Over
Diana Krall - Live in Paris
Jimi Hendrix - Band of Gypsys

x2 on all of these

Oct 27, 2008 at 8:11 AM Post #53 of 98
"Is there anybody out there" - Pink Floyd

"Live in Gdansk" - David Gilmour

Oct 27, 2008 at 8:12 AM Post #54 of 98
And forgot to say Genesis:

- Three sides live
- Seconds out

Oct 27, 2008 at 8:18 AM Post #55 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by leveller1642 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not new, but Little Feat's "Waiting for Columbus" should get a mention. The Tower of Power horn section plays with them.

Freakingly good.

Amazon- Waiting for Columbus

No doubt about this one. It would be one of my desert island picks. Not my favorite album of all time, and maybe not even in the top 10, but it's just one of those albums that never fails to deliver - it takes me away, awashed in the music! Can't help but singing along, pretending I'm Lowell George - especially when I'm in my bathtub.

Nevermind. Just a bad joke about a fat man in a bathtub with the blues...

Oct 27, 2008 at 8:52 AM Post #56 of 98
(2006) Skin and Bones - Foo Fighters

It's done so well it sounds nearly like it was recorded in a studio. Also one of the things I like about this is that while there is some variance in the songs, it is tasteful. I rarely like live albums because the artists start doing very strange and honestly BAD things to their songs randomly. This is especially true of pop singers.

Oct 27, 2008 at 10:03 AM Post #57 of 98
Roxy Music -- Viva! There are one or two songs on this that reach a get transendental with their etherial weirdness. Er, in the word of Shelly Duvall in "Annie Hall" is guess they're "transplendid." Or maybe I just long hypnotic songs.

Now for some real live music.... The Grateful Dead live at the Old Rennaisance Faire. My favorite Dead bootleg. those guys just nailed it sometimes.

Oct 27, 2008 at 10:07 AM Post #58 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its Lofgren, and you find alll the information you need in the link below.
Google is helpful you know.
wink.gif

Nils Lofgren - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You forgot to add, "Howard Stern played Lofgren one-on-one in hoops -- and lost. (Nils Lofgren must be about 5'4")

Oct 9, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #59 of 98
I was at my brothers and he played Scorpions Acoustica to me. My jaw totally dropped. An DVD with mega hit after mega hit in amazing quality which just wasn´t like anything I ever experienced.

Tried the stereo track but that was just not as good despite being non compressed. Got to borrow it expecting it to sound crap on my more modest speaker system but boy oh boy does it sound amazing here as well. Have not tried it with my LCD-2 yet because I am afraid I will break my neck
wink.gif

I am googling like crazy for a bluray version but sadly can´t find anything. But the picture quality is amazing as well for being DVD. As good or better then many bluray concerts I got actually.

Jun 17, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #60 of 98
"Selections from Ann Arbor Future Stars 2014 (320 kbps mp3 (when downloaded))"

I wasn't really sure where to post this as I wouldn't be so cavalier as to say this is one of the great live recordings...however...it is something a bit different than most 'live' recordings in that these are pretty 'stark'; no overdubs etc have been done (pretty much the exact opposite of many, many 'live' releases.

To date, I have only posted two tracks (and only in 320 kbps mp3 - the FLAC versions will be posted later on) but there's a ton of material to post. Some of these kids are surprisingly talented - full disclosure here - one of the tracks posted was performed by my daughter, who elected to be a part of the competition (she covered a Passenger tune ("Let Him Go")), however, the other track up there is a pretty nice cover of "Manhattan" by Sara Bareillis.

I recorded these back in January 2014 at the Schreiber Auditorium in Ann Arbor, MI. "FutureStars" has gotten to be a pretty big deal here in Ann Arbor; I recorded the first round (the "preliminary" round) but not the final round, which took place one week later.

The reverb in these is all natural - nothing was added and was derived from a Neumann KU 100 binaural mannequin head microphone, along with one or two other microphones positioned to suit my needs.

Again, there are only two tracks there, but I will indeed add more noteworthy tracks as I finish their mastering.

I hope you like these, but remember, don't judge them based on streamed sound - the player on soundcloud is abysmal as it transcodes everything down to 128 kbps mp3, but if yoiu download them and listen to those, you'll get a much better idea of the performance and the mix.

https://soundcloud.com/immersifi/sets/selections-from-ann-arbor-future-stars-2014-320-kbps-mp3-when-downloaded

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back