Best live recordings
Jul 14, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #61 of 98
Not new, but Little Feat's "Waiting for Columbus" should get a mention. The Tower of Power horn section plays with them.

Freakingly good.

Amazon- Waiting for Columbus

Yep...a great recording this...

I remember back in 1980 when I worked in an audio / video department of a store...we sold the MFSL vinyl (as well as some pretty nice gear), and I think "Waiting..." may have been my first half-speed mastered vinyl purchase - I think I followed that purchase up with a MFSL release of Donald Fagen's "The Nightfly" (no, this is not a live release).

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that George Massenburg recorded and mixed this ("Waiting...")...or perhaps mastered it...or maybe all three...I can't recall. Anyway, yes, it's a great-sounding recording, even if there's a fair amount of tape hiss audible in parts...it still sounds great. Overall, I think this is one helluva great-sounding release.

Having Tower of Power along didn't hurt one bit either; there are some real standouts - Their contribution to "Spanish Moon" as well as "Rocket in My Pocket" and many others is noteworthy.

Jul 15, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #62 of 98
I heard a good one the other day. The performance are pretty good, not superlative. But the recording is excellent, as  you would expect from a Carnegie Hall gig. Ike and Tina Turner at Carnegie Hall. Lots of fun, nice live recording with good ambience and miking.

Jul 18, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #63 of 98
I know I risk being shot down, but for feel rather than sonic qualities, I really enjoy listening to Coast to Coast, by The Faces, it is the closest thing to going to see the band I have come across, its sloppy and raucous, but thats just what they were like.

Jul 18, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #65 of 98
Plus 1 for The Rolling Stones - Ya-ya's especially the remastered and extended version. However, I would put the official bootleg LA Friday higher on my personal list, Jagger's voice is off, Keith is distracted and Ronnie is still learning to weave, but, it has the ability to make me smell the crowd and feel the heat.

Jul 20, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #68 of 98
Tony Bennett Unplugged on SACD. Superb!
beyersmile.png

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #70 of 98
Looking for new live recordings that are good, which ones are your favorites?

Muse : Hullabaloo / Haarp
Roger Waters : The Wall , live in Berlin
Pink Floyd : Live At Pompeii , Brit Floyd , Pulse
Metallica : One night In Paris
Iron Maiden : Rock In Rio / A Real Live One
David Gilmour : Live At Royal Albert Hall

Aug 6, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #74 of 98
Bill Evans Trio - Live at the Village Vanguard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back