Best live recordings
Oct 18, 2008 at 1:08 PM Post #31 of 98
-Muddy "Mississippi" Waters Live (Legacy Edition)

"Everything, everything, everything gonna be alright this morning..."

-Bob Marley & The Wailers Live at The Roxy
(With an epic "Get Up Stand Up , No More Trouble , War" medley)

Oct 18, 2008 at 2:14 PM Post #32 of 98
who is this nils lofrgren?

My guess is that he's a swede, right?
and the name should be nils löfgren?

have read some posts recommending him, but before head-fi I've never heard of him. Who is he and what genre?

Oct 18, 2008 at 11:42 PM Post #35 of 98
Thanks for the Nils Lofgren recommendation.

My fav live albums:
Paco De Lucia etc. - Friday Night In San Francisco
Frank Sinatra - The Summit in Concert
Portishead - Roseland NYC
The Who Live
Alice in Chains - Unplugged
Metallica - S&M
Eric Clapton - Unplugged
Korn - Unplugged
Nirvana - Unplugged
Comeback Kid - Through The Noise
Between the Buried and Me - Colors Live

Oct 19, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #36 of 98
James Brown -- Live at the Apollo. From the legendary Harlem theater, with Brown in top form, fronting a mercilessly tight band, with an ecstatic audience in the palm of his hand.

Allman Brothers -- Live at the Fillmore. If you want just one Allmans record, this is it. Sound is good to excellent, and the entire band is on fire throughout, especially D. Betts and D. Allman. Standouts include "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed," "Statesboro Blues," "One Way Out," and, of course, "Whipping Post."

The Who -- Live at Leeds. Great from start to finish. Includes their crushing cover of "Summertime Blues." More noise than four people should be realistically able to produce without help.

B.B. King -- Live at the Regal. If you can find a copy of the MFSL Gold Edition CD, you are in for a treat. King at his absolute onstage peak. A textbook intro to his uber-influential guitar style, and a great showcase for his alternately gruff and liquid-smooth vocals. Features a big, horn-driven band.

The Clash -- From Here to Eternity. Performances culled from throughout the original lineup's career. Turn it up and try to avoid crashing into the furniture.

The Rolling Stones -- Get Yer Ya Yas Out. Before they became t-shirt and beer salesmen, the Stones were an amazing live act. Audience highlight: a female fan shouts "Paint it black, you devil."

Canonball Adderly -- Mercy, Mercy, Mercy! Live at 'The Club.' Maybe the definitive soul-jazz band, featuring Adderly's alto, his brother Nat on cornet, and the recently deceased Joe Zawinul on piano. The highlight is Zawinul's composition "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy," which is perfect from Adderly's spoken intro all the way to the final measure. A triumph of soulful ensemble grooves, focused, concise solos, and just plain magic.

Oct 19, 2008 at 3:06 AM Post #37 of 98
Go to Archive.org there are tons of Jamband live downloads mp3 and flac lossless files both audience tapes and soundboard-free..... pretty cool.
Favorite how is it even possible to choose-How the west is won-Zepplin currently or the new Grateful Dead release Rockin the Cradle--Egypt 78. I am currently listening to Where the Light is, someone mentioned earlier. Allman Bros from above. A lot out there to choose from that's for sure.

Oct 19, 2008 at 6:37 AM Post #39 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by rlmacklin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alison Krauss & Union Station - "Live"
double SACD is reference quality

I don't use SACD, but I think the standard CD is reference quality as well. It is one of the first few albums I play to try new gear.

Oct 19, 2008 at 7:13 AM Post #40 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by jegarn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
who is this nils lofrgren?

My guess is that he's a swede, right?
and the name should be nils löfgren?

have read some posts recommending him, but before head-fi I've never heard of him. Who is he and what genre?

Its Lofgren, and you find alll the information you need in the link below.
Google is helpful you know.
wink.gif

Nils Lofgren - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:

Nils Lofgren is an American rock music singer, songwriter, and multi-instrumentalist. Famous as a solo artist, he is also a long-time member of Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band as well as a former member of Crazy Horse.
Lofgren was born in Chicago, Illinois in 1951 to Swedish/Italian parents

Oct 19, 2008 at 1:47 PM Post #41 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go to Archive.org there are tons of Jamband live downloads mp3 and flac lossless files both audience tapes and soundboard-free..... pretty cool.

I second this excellent suggestion. Sound quality varies widely (these are amateur recordings, after all), but most are good and some are REALLY good. And virtually all of the shows can be streamed, so that you can get an idea of the quality of the performance and recording before committing to a download. As dallan points out, the selection is enormous (Last I looked, 5,926 recordings of Dead shows alone).

These are completely guilt-free, legal downloads; the site will not post anything unless they have recieved explicit permission from the band involved. Here's a link to the list of bands available at archive.org/audio.

Head-fiers will also like that many of the recordists list their equipment, in much the same way that many around here do in their sigs. A great way to figure out how to get results for people interested in gettting into recording shows.

I also want to add one more to the albums listed in my previous post on this thread:

Eva Cassidy -- Live at Blues Alley. One of the greatest debut albums of any kind, this set will introduce you to one of the most criminally overlooked artists in the history of the music business. Eva applies her bell-clear voice to a dizzying variety of material, from jazz ("Dancing Cheek to Cheek") to folk ("Tall Trees in Georgia") to standards ("What a Wonderful World") to funky rock ("Take Me to the River"). Her definitive cover of Sting's "Fields of Gold" shreds the original and will bring tears to your eyes. Her crack band goes toe-to-toe with her throughout, anticipating her every move and supporting her flawlessly.

Most artists would fall flat on their faces covering very familiar material like that on Live at Blues Alley, but Cassidy's stunning voice and vivid musical personality allow her to make these songs her own. Her excellent electric and acoustic guitar playing don't hurt, either.

EditEdit:

Just got through listening to Bob Marley and the Wailers Live! for the first time in a long time. What a monster. The sound is great (maybe a little too much crowd enthusiasm), Marley is in great voice, and the Wailers...wail. Not just one of my favorite live albums; one of my favorite albums, period.

Oct 21, 2008 at 4:11 AM Post #42 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tool - Salival Live
Eric Clapton - Unplugged
KORN - Unplugged
Nirvana - Unplugged
Eagles - Hell Freezes Over
Diana Krall - Live in Paris

Haven't heard the Tool album, but ditto on everything else.

Oct 22, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #44 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by tongson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alice in Chains - Unplugged

Man, it took until post 35? Great show, great sound. Salival is also great.

Archive.org is cool. Check out some Howie Day - I have a couple that sound very good. I saw him open for Tori Amos and his older live stuff is much more interesting than his albums.

Oct 22, 2008 at 4:20 PM Post #45 of 98
Oh man! After Browsing through the whole thread, I noticed that no one has mentioned Deep Purple's Live in Japan remaster. It's said to be one of the best live rock-recordings. Not Hifi but amazing playing! Before this I didn't even like deep purple that much..
This is third.

2nd place goes to Todd Rundgren's Utopia - Utopia. Damn it sounds harsh (warning, not hi-fi). This is mainly because it was originally mastered on vinyl, and the last song is over 30min long, so you can imagine what comes out of it when compressed to one side
smily_headphones1.gif

No one has been able to have made a proper master of it. Sounds decent on LP with grado rs2s
smily_headphones1.gif

For anyone that likes progressive rock'n'roll, this is a must. I know Rundgren is known for deedeedum pop music. But a group of one guitar player, bass player, drummer and THREE guys playing keyboards. Ooh the Moog sounds on this one nnnggghh..!

1st place: Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention - Roxy and Elsewhere. Damn where to start
smily_headphones1.gif

Skilled players, awesome songs, great humour, guitar solos, two drummers (Chester Thompson / Ralph Humphrey), Ruth Underwood... It's all there. Zappa's greatest group of all time..
Another must for prog-diggers.. You're not one if you don't know about it.

-K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back