Best Isolation Amongst Listed Headphones
Mar 10, 2014 at 12:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

PTom

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking to get one of the following closed back headphones driven with the O2/ODAC combo. Any suggestions for which will give the best isolation even during quiet scenes in movies or parts of songs? I want to block out noise from my housemate (who has a very deep voice that travels far). Sounds such as loud laughing, talking, movies etc. should be blocked.

It'd be good if they block noise well even when nothing is playing since I sometimes leave my headphone on when browsing the internet after watching something. The headphones should not be fatiguing or siblant and very comfortable/light since I will be wearing them for hours on end.

Here's my list so far:

- Sennheisser Momentum
- NAD Viso HP50
- V Moda M100
- Beyerdynamic DT770
- AKG K550
- PSB M4U 1/2
- UE 6000
- Sennheisser HD202

Please feel free to suggest other suitable headphones. I want something with good bass and mids. I'm very sensitive to treble so nothing with a lot of spikes or which sounds harsh. I don't expect much in terms of sound stage from a closed back headphone. I don't mind a closed sound and sometimes even prefer it to an open sound. Price range is within the price range of the headphones listed.

Mar 11, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #5 of 35
  Can you hear outside noise at low listening volumes?

It depends on what you would consider "low listening volumes".  I can generally only hear loud noises that originate in the same room.  At what I consider to be a low listening level, I can knock on my wooden desk and there is very little perceivable noise.  At "loud" listening volumes (i.e, 80-85 Db), I hear nothing, regardless of volume.  If you want to block out noise entirely at all times, you will need something with active noise cancelling.  I missed our Senior class photo because I couldn't hear the intercom over my music at a moderate volume, so that is a fairly good sign.

Mar 11, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #6 of 35
You can remove the Beyer DT-990s from you list if you want sound isolation.  They are an open back design.

Mar 13, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #11 of 35
I've only tried the Momentums and K550 on the list. The K550's seal will depend on your head shape. The earcups are huge, and if there's a lot of dead space behind your ears, you might not get much isolation at all. But if you do get a seal, the isolation is pretty good. The Momentums had decent isolation too, but not as much as the K550.

You also might want to take a look at the DT770M. 35 dB of isolation vs 18 dB on the regular ones. The clamp is probably tighter, though, so you're going to trade-off some comfort.

Mar 13, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #12 of 35
  I've only tried the Momentums and K550 on the list. The K550's seal will depend on your head shape. The earcups are huge, and if there's a lot of dead space behind your ears, you might not get much isolation at all. But if you do get a seal, the isolation is pretty good. The Momentums had decent isolation too, but not as much as the K550.

You also might want to take a look at the DT770M. 35 dB of isolation vs 18 dB on the regular ones. The clamp is probably tighter, though, so you're going to trade-off some comfort.

35 dB of isolation?  That's not even remotely accurate marketing.

Mar 13, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #14 of 35
  I am correct in assuming that 35 dB of isolation means that sound is reduced by 35 dB at all frequencies?

Probably -35 dB at some random high-pitched frequency.  The DT770 lists 18 dB, and the only major difference between the DT770 and DT770m is that the "m" uses pleather pads.  Pleather isn't going to make them isolate 283% more, not even close.  I'd say the real number would be around 20 dB or so.

Mar 13, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #15 of 35
- Sennheisser Momentum --> Isolation is just "meh" and they are uncomfortable as hell!
- NAD Viso HP50 --> Have not tried them.
- V Moda M100 --> Isolation is average. Uncomfortable as well, but did not try them with the XL pads...
- Beyerdynamic DT770 --> Very good isolation but their highs are inconsistent and depending on tracks it might be a bit piercing for you.
- AKG K550 --> Had the K551s, the fit is tricky like someone else mentioned...
- PSB M4U 1/2  --> Good (above average to me at least) isolation. You could get the one with N/C and be done with it. Pleasant sounding as well... not bass heavy but it does Ok.
- UE 6000  --> Have not tried them.
- Sennheisser HD202 --> Don't remember trying them...

To this list, I would probably just add: MrSpeakers Mad Dogs, Alpha Dogs or the new Mad Dogs Pros (they all use Alpha Pads and isolation and leakage control is phenomenal!!!)

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back