Best IEM's with detachable cables for in and around £100?
Sep 26, 2010 at 7:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Timmac

New Head-Fier

So, I'm looking for a decent first pair of proper IEM's and I've narrowed down the features I really want but I cannot decide what to get-

1. Bass- I wouldn't say I'm a 'bass head' but I listen to a lot of metal and a bit of drum and bass, also I just find that bass in the most important thing to me. I'd be willing to sacrifice overall SQ for a little bit extra
    wink.gif
  2. detachable cables- Up until now, all the earphones I've owned have died due to the cables, so replaceable ones really appeal to me, I'm not too bothered if their standard ones (sa1, hje900) or proprietary (UE super.fi) 
  3. Fit- I have pretty small ear cannals, if that makes a difference. I also think I'd prefer ones that can be worn over the ear, and I'll probably buy some complys. 
  4. £100- My budget is in and around £100, I can stretch a few quid if there are some really good ones, and anything under is a major bonus.

Thanks a lot for anyone who could recommend anything that matches all or most of these criteria, and point me towards some reviews of them
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT- forgot to add the ones I've looked at!

Panasonic hje900- these are supposed to be really good, but something just makes me think its not worth paying £105 for them... I dunno.

Sleek audio SA1- these look really nice, and are a great price but the reviews don't seem to fill me with confidence...

UE super.fi 3- I like the look of these too, but same with the SA1's, reviews don't seem too good...

Sep 26, 2010 at 7:13 AM Post #3 of 14
Actually I guess I should put the 'phones I've looked at in the op...

But yes, I've looked at the sa ones and they seem ok (really good price!) but apparently they lack a touch of bass.

I'll go and edit the op now.

Sep 27, 2010 at 11:36 AM Post #6 of 14
I saw that, unfortunately it's just too far outside my price range.

I'm really trying to choose between the hje900's and the sa 1's. I could buy the sleeks now but I've heard they have sub par bass which really doesn't appeal to me.

Help?

Sep 27, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #9 of 14
The sa1 isn't bad as an earphone, don't let any reviews tell you otherwise, the problem with it I think is sleek put more effort into making it look/feel good than was perhaps wise at the price. It is built like nothing else I have had but for me it suffers a bit in imaging/soundstage and overall presentation. The sound is nice and everything but at that price there is competition that's better. Bass is not particularly weak but it is not the most aggresive ever and I was left wanting for more impact/extension.

The hje900 I have not heard but loads of people on here have shared their thoughts on them.

Sep 27, 2010 at 12:02 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:
Go with the hje900. The SA1 are not in the same league.

+1. I agree with what Marcus said - the SA1 is more about look and feel than sound. The HJE900 makes no compromises. As a result, the Sleeks just sound a little 'meh' here in there when you consider what they cost. If Sleek intended for them to compete on sound, they'd be priced at $50 and not $80.

Sep 27, 2010 at 1:48 PM Post #13 of 14
Too bad you cant spend 30 more quid, the IE8 are very practical (great cable and that bass knob to adjust it to your liking) and they are also very good in the bass department. these iems were selling for more than 300 US not so long ago so a pair at 130 quids is a steal.

Sep 27, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #14 of 14

Too bad you cant spend 30 more quid, the IE8 are very practical (great cable and that bass knob to adjust it to your liking) and they are also very good in the bass department. these iems were selling for more than 300 US not so long ago so a pair at 130 quids is a steal.

Hm, well I'll see. I've only got about 60 quid at the moment so I'll see if I can stretch when it comes to it... The price probably won't stay to be honest :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back