Best IEM?
Apr 20, 2013 at 9:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

danquoc

Head-Fier
I have the Shure SE215 and I'm sick of them breaking down on me. Are the high end versions better? (315, 425), in terms of the quality of sound, and in terms of not breaking. Are there any other IEM's that are better than the SE215 in terms of sound quality that hover around 200 dollars?

Apr 20, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #2 of 6
I've heard good things about the vsonic GR07's. 
Right now I have fischer DBA-02 and I think they're better than my AKG full size headphones.
Both those are below $200.
Also check out the Etymotic ER4 series if you want an analytical earphone

Apr 20, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:
I have the Shure SE215 and I'm sick of them breaking down on me. Are the high end versions better? (315, 425), in terms of the quality of sound, and in terms of not breaking. Are there any other IEM's that are better than the SE215 in terms of sound quality that hover around 200 dollars?

First off - http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here
(but I see from your post history that you've at least posted on the thread before, so assuming making a new thread is a conscious effort rather than just missing this one)

Regarding the build on the higher-end Shures - I really detected little to no difference. Sure the plastic on the 215s weren't as thick, but the connectors and cabling still looked quite similar, if not identical.

In terms of alternatives, we're still not sure what sort of sound you'd want - simply wanting "better" is rather vague and subjective. Do you want something with a similar signature as with the Shures, or something entirely different? What are your sound preferences? What do you prefer in terms of comfort or isolation? 

Apr 20, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
First off - http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here
(but I see from your post history that you've at least posted on the thread before, so assuming making a new thread is a conscious effort rather than just missing this one)

Regarding the build on the higher-end Shures - I really detected little to no difference. Sure the plastic on the 215s weren't as thick, but the connectors and cabling still looked quite similar, if not identical.

In terms of alternatives, we're still not sure what sort of sound you'd want - simply wanting "better" is rather vague and subjective. Do you want something with a similar signature as with the Shures, or something entirely different? What are your sound preferences? What do you prefer in terms of comfort or isolation? 

I want something with the same sound signature as the shures, maybe a little better bass. I listen to rap, rock and pop.

Apr 20, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
I want something with the same sound signature as the shures, maybe a little better bass. I listen to rap, rock and pop.

Something like the GR07 (but treble is much more prominent) or the even more bombastic and exaggerated EPH-100 might be worth a look into then.

IE800s and X10s are similarly voiced as well, with a bit more energy up top, technical proficiency and delicate note presentation on the former.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back