Best IEM tips?
Dec 28, 2022 at 12:50 AM Post #2,251 of 3,418
I love the
Spiral dot vs 08 is wide+matte vs narrow+glossy. Gotta control for the variables and find a wide+glossy (like T300T) or narrow+matte (like Sedna original). 08 has great bass, and overall is incredibly loud, but a wide+glossy tip would have less uppermids, and hence more (relative) bass volume.
I find the word "relative" very interesting. I've wondered about that.

Does reducing treble with EQ essentially increase bass, in that one can then increase volume a bit to bring it back to the same overall volume level and that means more bass?

Or is it just seeming to increase the bass "relatively" while not actually providing a more robust authentic bass reproduction?

Just wondering. I'll leave it to Einstein and his relativity theory to keep this a mystery.

Dec 28, 2022 at 1:04 AM Post #2,253 of 3,418
Does reducing treble with EQ essentially increase bass, in that one can then increase volume a bit to bring it back to the same overall volume level and that means more bass?
That's what I meant, increasing the volume to match SPL.

Dec 28, 2022 at 1:10 AM Post #2,254 of 3,418
I keep swapping ear tips but i can't tell the difference. What am I supposed to listen for?
The longer your IEM nozzle is, the less difference you are going to hear, because when the top of the nozzle sits flat against the top of the eartip, the sound almost enters directly from the nozzle to your ear canal. Also, the shallower you wear your IEM, the less difference you are going to hear, because your ear canal has a long relative length and is probably the dominating factor.

If none of those is the case, by swapping from a smaller size to a large size (same eartip model), you should hear less bass and more treble.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2022 at 1:13 AM Post #2,255 of 3,418
The longer your IEM nozzle is, the less difference you are going to hear, because when the top of the nozzle sits flat against the top of the eartip, the sound almost enters directly from the nozzle to your ear canal. Also, the shallower your wear your IEM, the less difference you are going to hear, because your ear canal has a long relative length and is probably the dominating factor.

If none of those is the case, by swapping from a smaller size to a large size (same eartip model), you should hear less bass and more treble.
nicely said. thanks for that.

Dec 28, 2022 at 5:20 AM Post #2,256 of 3,418
Is there really a difference between the Final Audio Type E black and clear/red? According to Final Audio and audioreviews there is indeed one. Has anyone here compared the two?

"Final Audio Type E
Bore size: regular
Stem length: regular
Feel: soft and sturdy
Bass: 4
Midrange: 5
Treble: 3.75
Soundstage: 4
Vocal presence: 4
For balance sound. Tame harsh earphones

Final Audio Type E (Clear, Clear/Red) 2020 Edition)
Bore size: regular
Stem length: regular
Feel: soft and sturdy
Bass: 4
Midrange: 5
Treble: 4.25
Soundstage: 4 25
Vocal presence: 4.5
Sounds cleaner, clearer, brighter and tighter bass than conventional black Final Audio Type E eartip. Improved vocal lucidity. Tonally more accurate as well."

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2022 at 3:59 PM Post #2,257 of 3,418
I have another question and hopefully someone can help me with it: I am looking for an alternative to the Final Type E with a little less bass and a little more treble. According to this reference https://www.audioreviews.org/guide-to-iem-silicone-eartips/ the SpinFit CP100+ and SpinFit W1 would be ideal. Does anyone have experience with these - perhaps with a comparison to the Final Type E? I have the oldest version of CP100 here, but I find the bass is just missing. Is the new one actually different?
That reviewer gave the plus almost the same rating as the older version but with slightly less treble, so not likely to be different. I disagree with his rating on the CP100s btw. The Clarion he rated lower on the bass, but I actually find it more present, even though it obviously has a treble-focus. I think the Clarions would be a good choice.

Edit: I personally haven't tried it yet, but it was one of the tips that I was interested in, and I agree with Jonas that it's likely a good choice: Radius Deep Mount

The audioreviews reviewer gave it high rating and said it was the most transparent of the tips he tried, and RiduokuGoku has tried many tips, and ranked it as his top treble-focused tip, while also not lacking in bass either.

I keep swapping ear tips but i can't tell the difference. What am I supposed to listen for?
Is the bass impactful? brighter vs. darker (note weight)? vocal presence (distant/close)? I think it's readily apparent, but they are more different with some possible trade-offs than better if you're not comparing generic vs. some of the better silicone out there. For instance, CP100 lacks bass, but I like the airy feel.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2022 at 2:54 AM Post #2,258 of 3,418
In my experience, the larger the bore, the less bass and more treble. Strangely, I find that the SpinFit have too little bass and too much treble, although they have a bore diametrer of 4mm. SpiralDots and Symbio W Peel also have very little bass for me. Final Audio Type E (3.5mm) I find very good, only I wish they were a little clearer. So I decided to buy the clear/red version, which should be clearer.

@Maxima7: The Clarion seem to me to have too large a bore, and thus I would guess that they are again short on bass according to my experience.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2022 at 3:17 AM Post #2,259 of 3,418
In my experience, the larger the bore, the less bass and more treble. Strangely, I find that the SpinFit have too little bass and too much height, although they have a bore diametrer of 4mm. SpiralDots and Symbio W Peel also have very little bass for me. Final Audio Type E (3.5mm) I find very good, only I wish they were a little clearer. So I decided to buy the clear/red version, which should be clearer.

@Maxima7: The Clarion seem to me to have too large a bore, and thus I would guess that they are again short on bass according to my experience.
The Final clears seem like a decent pick for what you wanted. I have the Fiio HS18, but didn't want to rec because it may be too smooth. The T-ears seem like they would be a good in-between from HS18 and Clarion, and they're dirt cheap (if Ali gives a single use coupon again, I'm going to pick those up XD). I found the Clarion has quick, impactful bass, which the CP100s lacked.

Dec 30, 2022 at 7:25 AM Post #2,261 of 3,418
More tip makers need to follow Azla’s lead and put the sizing on the actual tips. Or I need more room and better organisation lol.

Dec 30, 2022 at 9:29 AM Post #2,262 of 3,418
Just Got Dunu S&S tips! Love them!
Apparently those are getting really popular lately. But the sizing is so strange to me - MAX size is only 11.5mm in diameter. I'm using one with 12.6mm currently, does it mean S&S is just not for me? Or is there some "magic" behind the S&S that compensates for the small size?

Dec 30, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #2,263 of 3,418
Apparently those are getting really popular lately. But the sizing is so strange to me - MAX size is only 11.5mm in diameter. I'm using one with 12.6mm currently, does it mean S&S is just not for me? Or is there some "magic" behind the S&S that compensates for the small size?
IDK, man, I just ordered large, put them on and they are fine... :)

Dec 30, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #2,264 of 3,418
Dec 31, 2022 at 6:44 AM Post #2,265 of 3,418
Hi all,

I do not remember if I posted previously in this thread or not but following the purchase of my Letshuoer EJ09 at CanJam UK, I followed recommendations for the Azla SednaEarfit Max and purchased a sample pack to ensure I got the correct sizing. I did the same with the Final E, but prefer the sound profile of the Azla so have been a happy customer for a few months.

Recently though, I have noticed that the tips keep "ejecting" themselves so that they pop out to sit on the outside rather than in the canal / opening. They do not fall out altogether, but it is frustrating to keep reinserting them every few minutes to improve the isolation (which to clarify, does not completely break). There is a possibility it could actually be the normal fit for these though as my main IEM experience for the past 10+ years is with custom tips for the ER4P, and I love the isolation from the deep insertion. I had toyed with getting custom fit IEMs this time around but was advised against it by the salesman, so stuck with universal fit.

I have revisited the other sizes in the sample pack a few times but found that they all do the same, with the isolation fully being broken if I try the smallest size. I also found that in noisy environments, the LF is reduced so I must be using the best size (of the pack).

I am not sure if it is simply a fit issue and they are simply all too small but bulkier sets of other tips I have used historically led to excrutiating pain in my cartilage which made IEMs unusable, so I am not sure if it is worth purchasing the sample pack with the next sizes up, or if I should try foam instead.

I prefer silicone tips for hygiene purposes as I have a tendancy to get ear infections, so I use an ispropyl wipe after each use. I would expect that this is not doable with foam so strikes me as a costly ongoing expense...

Can anyone provide some further guidance please? Is what I describe above the standard fit for these tips, or do I need to try a bigger size?

If foam may be a better option for me, or even just one to try, what are the recommended models?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back