Best IEM tips?
Jul 19, 2020 at 6:06 AM Post #901 of 3,313
Just curious, are most of the revelers of the AZLA SednaEarfit XELASTEC coming from a steady diet of silicone tips ?

I ask because I've been team foam from day one, as silicone just walks out of my problematic left ear hole.

My last punt was on the TENNMAK Ultra Strong Earphone Memory Foam Eartips and they're my current go to for seal and comfort. At $7 (for a multi size pack), I didn't have to think twice. But at $28, for the (multi size) Xelastecs, I'm stumbling a bit. As I'm not looking for a (pricey) silicone option, that has the benefits of foam, but more so a tip that will stand out in a crowd of all makes.

Jul 19, 2020 at 7:05 AM Post #902 of 3,313
Just curious, are most of the revelers of the AZLA SednaEarfit XELASTEC coming from a steady diet of silicone tips ?

I ask because I've been team foam from day one, as silicone just walks out of my problematic left ear hole.

My last punt was on the TENNMAK Ultra Strong Earphone Memory Foam Eartips and they're my current go to for seal and comfort. At $7 (for a multi size pack), I didn't have to think twice. But at $28, for the (multi size) Xelastecs, I'm stumbling a bit. As I'm not looking for a (pricey) silicone option, that has the benefits of foam, but more so a tip that will stand out in a crowd of all makes.

The Xelastec are foam fit and comfort with silicone sound without the hassle of rolling foam and inserting. I have really fussy ears and with the Xelastec i just insert, wiggle a little and they then dont move and are super comfortable, when i remove them the silicone retains my ear shape for a good 5 minutes. They are basically universal silicone ear tips that once inserted turn into custom moulds, then return back to universal once removed. It is the only tip which causes me zero issues for fit, comfort, sound, even foams are less comfortable for me.

Jul 19, 2020 at 8:32 AM Post #903 of 3,313
It's weird to me that people hesitate to spend $30 in a hobby where people will easily drop $800+ based on the opinion of one person making YouTube videos, or that assigns an arbitrary "s" rating on a website.

Tips can literally make or break the overall experience as they directly impact the fit, sound, and long-term comfort of an iem. Good tips are the cheapest upgrade you can make. I rock azla sednas and they are solid "end game" tips that sound good with every iem I own. I'd say that's more than worth the price of admission.

Jul 19, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #904 of 3,313
It's weird to me that people hesitate to spend $30 in a hobby where people will easily drop $800+ based on the opinion of one person making YouTube videos, or that assigns an arbitrary "s" rating on a website.

Tips can literally make or break the overall experience as they directly impact the fit, sound, and long-term comfort of an iem. Good tips are the cheapest upgrade you can make. I rock azla sednas and they are solid "end game" tips that sound good with every iem I own. I'd say that's more than worth the price of admission.
Are the new alza tips available on taobao yet?

Jul 19, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #906 of 3,313

ppl r irrational buyers, makes perfect sense to me :)

imo tips r the 2nd biggest factor of sound quality, right after the hedphones themselves

Jul 19, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #907 of 3,313
ppl r irrational buyers, makes perfect sense to me :)

imo tips r the 2nd biggest factor of sound quality, right after the hedphones themselves

@FlowLikeWater with this in mind I'm going to pick up some foam tips for a couple of new pairs of IEM's - I previously used the medium Shure Olive's which I love but won't fit on the new earphones.
I figure picking up the Comply 'Isolation +' model is most similar to Shure Olives?
The Shure foam tips are built for maximum isolation so I thought the Comply Isolation ones would be a good match, only I can see the Comply 'Isolation' tips are more pointy whereas the 'comfort' tips are more rounded.
On the offchance anyone owns or has used both and could advise the closest feel to Shure Olive's in the Comply range?

Jul 19, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #908 of 3,313
@FlowLikeWater with this in mind I'm going to pick up some foam tips for a couple of new pairs of IEM's - I previously used the medium Shure Olive's which I love but won't fit on the new earphones.
I figure picking up the Comply 'Isolation +' model is most similar to Shure Olives?
The Shure foam tips are built for maximum isolation so I thought the Comply Isolation ones would be a good match, only I can see the Comply 'Isolation' tips are more pointy whereas the 'comfort' tips are more rounded.
On the offchance anyone owns or has used both and could advise the closest feel to Shure Olive's in the Comply range?

I haven't used any Comply tips, they tend to disintegrate after a while from what I've read. But I would start with their comfort series which are 'ball' shaped.

Shure foam tips are my favorite. 2nd is 'ball' shaped foam tips I got from AliExpress.

Jul 19, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #910 of 3,313
Just wanted to give a recommendation. I have a lot of trouble with eartips not fitting properly, feeling uncomfortable or just slipping out. I've spent more money than I'm comfortable with on many tips, including sednas (even the new xelastecs.. and they are great!), but some of my favorites are a pair I overlooked for a long time. Surprise surprise, they are some of the cheapest tips I've seen. They're very soft and mold very well. They don't work with all of my IEMs but when they do, they're almost "invisible."

If anyone is interested, look up "ALXCD eartips for Sony in-ears" on Amazon. Just might work out for you :)

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2020 at 12:11 AM Post #911 of 3,313

I have tried MANY types of silicon and the Xelastics are the best of all of them. I had to use silicon ear tips for many years after receiving a pair of Comply foams and having them smell, then having them literally disintegrate to tiny bits from putting antibacterial foam on them. They instantly became an unviable option then and now with the recent pandemic still going strong. $28 for three pairs of silicone ear tips may seem expensive, but with face masks, regular hand washing, and social distancing becoming a part of everyday life...especially with what I have experiences with foamies.

Jul 20, 2020 at 2:00 AM Post #913 of 3,313
What kinda wipe material do you use for cleaning sticky eartips with alcohol?
The cloth I'm using leaves fibre everywhere.
So annoying

Try alcohol prep pads. They are usually lint free

Jul 20, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #915 of 3,313
This is a comparison between my preferred tips on respective iem and the new Azla Xelastec tips. Volume and everything else is of course the same.

Tin hifi P1 (eq) (Sony hybrids): much worse seal/fit and therefore disqualified

BQEYZ Spring 2 (final type E): More bass quantity/tighter and also more treble quantity, disliked it because it got more fatiguing due to the treble.

Urbanfun ISS014 (Acoustune aet08): Feels like it glued on to my ears, very good fit/seal but not as comfortable. Tighter bass.

LZ A6 (pink filter) (Final type E): better fit/seal, but not as comfortable. Tighter bass, more treble quantity and less mids quantity. Dislike it.

Moondrop Blessing 2 (Spinfits CP145): better fit/seal and comfort. More bass quantity and more treble quantity. Disliked it because it got more fatiguing due to the treble.

Sony XBA-A2(Sony hybrids): better fit/seal but not as comfortable. Tighter bass and more treble quantity. Disliked it due to the comfort.

Blon BL-03 (jvc spiral dot): better fit/seal a little bit worse comfort. Tighter bass. I like it more.

Final Audio E5000 (high gain) (Final type E): much worse seal/fit and therefore disqualified

Shozy form 1.1 (Sony hybrids): better fit/seal but not as comfortable. Tighter bass and a bit more treble quantity. Dislike it

Shuoer Tape (eq) (Sony hybrids): worse fit/seal and not as comfortable. Tighter bass and a bit more treble. Dislike it

Conclusion: The Xelastec tips made the bass tighter and, in some cases, more bass quantity and/or added treble quantity. Fit and seal was generally better on everything but comfort was a big downside to it for me because it made my ears itch a lot. So it was really annoying. So far I only found 1 iem that I prefer it with and that is with the blon 03 (the itching is still present but much less than the others) because it got a better seal/fit and tighter bass which I like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back