Best IEM tips?
May 1, 2024 at 2:53 PM Post #3,256 of 3,337
The more I experiment with tips, the more I learn about my ear anatomy. Weird discovery, I must have some loose skin or something in my right ear because if I get a deeper and tighter seal, my entire ear canal closes up. Sometimes it's just a minor cut to the upper treble, and other times it's like my whole ear just seals entirely. Trying to figure out exactly what's causing it (in order to avoid it, obviously). Sometimes getting a shallow seal solves the problem, but with some tips, it happens to some degree no matter what.

Anyone else with this sort of experience? Possible solutions or workarounds?

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 3:06 PM Post #3,258 of 3,337
The TRI are the first I tried where not one of the sizes fit me. I do have more of a problem with fitting/sealing in my left ear but the small wouldn’t even stay in my right ear which I never have a problem in that ear.

May 1, 2024 at 3:54 PM Post #3,261 of 3,337
The more I experiment with tips, the more I learn about my ear anatomy. Weird discovery, I must have some loose skin or something in my right ear because if I get a deeper and tighter seal, my entire ear canal closes up. Sometimes it's just a minor cut to the upper treble, and other times it's like my whole ear just seals entirely. Trying to figure out exactly what's causing it (in order to avoid it, obviously). Sometimes getting a shallow seal solves the problem, but with some tips, it happens to some degree no matter what.

I have the same. Shape of ear canal and the second bend in the ear canal together is what happens to me. I understand it after I got a mold taken for CIEM’s. 😅. Experiment with tips of different types, size and materials.

May 1, 2024 at 5:15 PM Post #3,265 of 3,337

Me too. But with my left ear.
It is like roll of treble earlier than the right ear during listening. When I sweep sine 20-20k result is 8k to 10k is less sensitive on left year. 10k to 13k is the same.
I can not reach 14k may be due to ear's aging 44.
Edit: I think it relate resonance not the same way on L and R ear, bcs it happen only with iem, not headphones

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 5:16 PM Post #3,266 of 3,337

Yep, I can essentially block the sound off entirely if pushing the IEM far in. I think it is the tip hitting a narrowing and pinching the end shut or something like that.

I have learnt recently that rotating IEM forward will help a great deal with proper insertion with several IEM yet with others it makes no difference at all.

May 1, 2024 at 5:24 PM Post #3,268 of 3,337
Me too. But with my left ear.
It is like roll of treble earlier than the right ear during listening. When I sweep sine 20-20k result is 8k to 10k is less sensitive on left year. 10k to 13k is the same.
I can not reach 14k may be due to ear's aging 44.
Edit: I think it relate resonance not the same way on L and R ear, bcs it happen only with iem, not headphones
Exactly! It was driving me totally nuts to the point where I thought I had a defective right-side IEM. Sometimes it closes off completely, but other times it's just a rolloff in the treble that starts somewhere in the 6k-8k region. It makes things like cymbals, hi-hats, and other sparkly sounds shift to the left side of my head. Very disorienting.

Only solution I've found so far is to try and get a very shallow and loose fit. Not ideal, especially for things like walking which immediately shakes the IEM loose from its very tenuous seal. Sounds like I just need to keep searching for better fitting tips...

Yep, I can essentially block the sound off entirely if pushing the IEM far in. I think it is the tip hitting a narrowing and pinching the end shut or something like that.

I have learnt recently that rotating IEM forward will help a great deal with proper insertion with several IEM yet with others it makes no difference at all.
It's not quite that. If the seal is especially secure on the right, it's like it gradually keeps suctioning into my ear until the sound closes off entirely either from my ear canal closing or from the tip's bore hole closing (not sure which). But most of the time, even if I have only a moderate seal and moderate insertion depth, I get treble roll off (and only ever on the right side). I can manually push the face plate of the IEM forward (prying open my ear canal front to back) which gives me perfect clarity on that side, but obviously I can't just hold it there all the time. Dunno. It's a puzzle.

Happens with any one of the dozen or more tips I've collected now, including more unusual ones like double-flange tips. And it happens on both my longer nozzle IEM (though not as severely) and my short nozzle IEM.

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 5:38 PM Post #3,269 of 3,337
My new favorite tips are the Velvet Divinus... So good with all IEM nozzles. The fit in the ear is smooth with a good bass response. Well worth the price and waiting time.

The Crystal Azla are second, good fit and sound but slightly less comfort in the ear. I also had the Xelastec, I was happy with it before they began to distort and become unusable.

Any recommendations for double flanges tips ? I got the Acoustune AET06, it's quite good but the bass could be better.

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 6:04 PM Post #3,270 of 3,337
Exactly! It was driving me totally nuts to the point where I thought I had a defective right-side IEM. Sometimes it closes off completely, but other times it's just a rolloff in the treble that starts somewhere in the 6k-8k region. It makes things like cymbals, hi-hats, and other sparkly sounds shift to the left side of my head. Very disorienting.

Only solution I've found so far is to try and get a very shallow and loose fit. Not ideal, especially for things like walking which immediately shakes the IEM loose from its very tenuous seal. Sounds like I just need to keep searching for better fitting tips...

It's not quite that. If the seal is especially secure on the right, it's like it gradually keeps suctioning into my ear until the sound closes off entirely either from my ear canal closing or from the tip's bore hole closing (not sure which). But most of the time, even if I have only a moderate seal and moderate insertion depth, I get treble roll off (and only ever on the right side). I can manually push the face plate of the IEM forward (prying open my ear canal front to back) which gives me perfect clarity on that side, but obviously I can't just hold it there all the time. Dunno. It's a puzzle.

Happens with any one of the dozen or more tips I've collected now, including more unusual ones like double-flange tips. And it happens on both my longer nozzle IEM (though not as severely) and my short nozzle IEM.
Yup, happens to me on my right cuz of my 2nd bend being at a particular angle. Also I noticed the occlusion effect of well-sealed eartips is stronger on my right side and causes a resonance bump at around 90 Hz. The solution is Qudelix 5k or any other EQ that can do individual L/R correction, plus the foam tips seem to even out the differences a little. Maybe cuz the fit is better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back