Best IEM tips?
Feb 5, 2018 at 6:33 PM Post #301 of 3,313
The best tips for what? There are just no universal tips that are best for every item. I've tried everything. While the shure olives are great for some items and one of my favorites for a long time, but they are just not the best for every item. Some items just sound good with meelec dual-flanges, others with ety tri-flanges, sony hybrids and so on. Sooner or later one has to deal with the reality and get a decent collection of different tips.

Yeah, I've got way more varieties of tips than models of IEMs. :gs1000smile:

Mar 17, 2018 at 11:12 PM Post #303 of 3,313
I have small ear canals and find IEMs to be very uncomfortable, I always wear earbuds but I have to get some new foam type tips or something for when I commute to school with IEMs, so I was wondering if anyone has recommendations (something that ships to Canada). Would be a bonus if they could be attached to a pair of concert earplugs as well since I also plan to use those a lot. Comply Foam ones around here are like $30 which is more than the cost of my actual IEMs lol.

There was actually one foam one I tried which came with a pair of IEMs my brother got but they were too big and couldn't fit inside my ear even after rolling up.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2018 at 2:25 AM Post #304 of 3,313
I have small ear canals and find IEMs to be very uncomfortable, I always wear earbuds but I have to get some new foam type tips or something for when I commute to school with IEMs, so I was wondering if anyone has recommendations (something that ships to Canada). Would be a bonus if they could be attached to a pair of concert earplugs as well since I also plan to use those a lot. Comply Foam ones around here are like $30 which is more than the cost of my actual IEMs lol.

There was actually one foam one I tried which came with a pair of IEMs my brother got but they were too big and couldn't fit inside my ear even after rolling up.
The New Bee brand is inexpensive and decent. They're not Comply quality but decent. About $6 - $8 from Amazon USA. Perhaps Amazon.ca has them and a similar price? They have packages with an assortment of sizes so that you can try to find what fits your ears. They also have decent silicone style ear tips and even a combination of each size, 1 pair foam, 1 silicone.

Mar 18, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #305 of 3,313
What makes some eartips so expensive, they can't cost much to produce? And why are most sold in packs of three different sizes? I don't know anyone with three sets of different sized ears. Am I supposed to keep one set and throw the other two away?

Mar 18, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #306 of 3,313
What makes some eartips so expensive, they can't cost much to produce? And why are most sold in packs of three different sizes? I don't know anyone with three sets of different sized ears. Am I supposed to keep one set and throw the other two away?
Welcome to headfi, sorry abt your wallet

Mar 19, 2018 at 4:04 AM Post #308 of 3,313
I think part of the price is just the basic it costs money to make a package, ship it to a seller, etc that means even if the thing costs 1¢ it will be $5 in a package.

About the 3 different sizes. I'd guess that for every one of us that is purchasing for the sound there are a dozen purchasing because they lost or don't like what they have and will just be buying a single package of whatever they decide to buy. For all those purchasers a package with a selection of sizes is the best choice.

Mar 23, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #309 of 3,313
was reading this topic hoping to find the golden tip but still struggling.

I bought some comply tips for my Sony XBA-C10 and while they do isolate beautifully I struggle with the comfort , especially in my left ear it feels like there's something really hard stuck in there, easily becomes painful.

So I was looking at dual flange silicone and got completely lost there.. :)

Mar 23, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #310 of 3,313
I bought a few Shure and some other IEM's. The tips that come with the Shures' are pretty good. I then bought, Westones, Spinfits, Spiral dots, and Complys'.

The Complys' are really good for 'my' ears. Very comfortable. An upgrade. I also like the Spirals. But this must be so ear dependent, that I imagine the only way is to try a lot, with of course is expensive.

I want to try the Comly p-series, but i'm very reluctant, as there MUST be treble reduction. IEMs are not designed for that length. So I may just pass, as I might really like them, and screw myself with sound degradation, which might be very subtle.

Then again I may be missing something. Any ideas? (about the p-series, that is)

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #311 of 3,313

I bought some comply tips for my Sony XBA-C10 and while they do isolate beautifully I struggle with the comfort , especially in my left ear it feels like there's something really hard stuck in there, easily becomes painful.

Unfortunately, there aren't any golden tips which work for every person and every IEM. A tip has to fit the IEM, adapt the IEM to the ear canal, and not (overly) enhance or detract from the sound. I've found that very few tips satisfy me.

The dual-flange silicon tips which have worked best for me are the "Earphones Plus Premium Quality" tips I bought through Amazon US and the Spinfit CP-240.

Mar 23, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #312 of 3,313
what are you guys using with true wireless in ear monitors? I'm trying some comply true wireless specific tips as I write this.

Mar 23, 2018 at 11:37 PM Post #314 of 3,313

Your profile doesn't include location so I have no idea if this Amazon suggestion is helpful or not. This particular package from New Bee brand has 3 foam and 3 single flange silicone ear tips in S, M and L sizes. I like them as an inexpensive alternative to the Comply brand for foamies. Their silicone tips are an alternative that I've used when stock tips weren't working fit wise for me. I now pretty much use the KZ Starline for narrower bore and Tennmak Whirlwind for larger bore silicone tips. A search in the deals thread within the last few weeks gets you 15 pairs of KZ Starline tips for a buck all in one size, so $3 if you are unsure which you need. Arrived in just over a week to me from wherever overseas they were sold (Singapore perhaps?). Amazon offers the Tennmak in a 3x3 package, 3 colors a pair in each size and a zippered IEM case a bit nicer and larger than the typical cheap included style for $10.

https://smile.amazon.com/Earphone-New-Replacement-Silicone-Headphones/dp/B06XPG8KBL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back