Best IEM tips?
Feb 17, 2023 at 5:44 AM Post #2,356 of 3,418
I've been using Azla Max for several months on one iem and initially thought they offered the best sound plus they have a guard to protect the open bores. I thought it was due to poor fit and kept adjusting them but it's become obvious these are affecting the highs especially, making them sound high pitched, thin and almost piercing. Gone back to Azla Crystals and straight away the highs are tamed back to normal levels and the low end has benefitted, plus I don't have to keep adjusting them.

Have stopped using Xelastecs altogether as they tend to mute the treble, and generally sound slightly muddy compared to Crystals.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2023 at 8:23 AM Post #2,357 of 3,418
Got a second pair of the Azla Crystal TWS today, this time in L and now that it makes a better seal these are pretty nice. They're very short-stemmed so the grill of the MEST Mk2 fits flush with the top of the tip so there is literally no material between the grill and my ear. Sound is pretty good, I've only had about 20 min on them so I'll need a bit longer to form a full opinion. So far out of all I've tried, I'm down to three TWS style tips and three traditional longer tips that I really like:

TWS:
Final E TWS
Azla Crystal TWS
E-Pro TW00

Traditional:
Spinfit CP100
Final Type E
Azla SednaFitLight Short

The three traditional tend to give a bit extra oomph to the low end and the TWS are bit more neutral and open.
Any update or those are still the best ones ?

Feb 21, 2023 at 8:25 AM Post #2,358 of 3,418
My ranking for the UM Mest Mk2 (also posted in the Mest thread with a little more info, #3,757)

1. Epro EP01 S
2. Azla Xelastec SS
3. Azla Sednaearfit Light short SS
4. stock tips S
5. Radius Deep mount S

From left to right; Epro EP01 S, Radius Deep mount S, Azla Xelastec SS, Azla Sedna Earfit light Short SS

1629898929952.jpg
Hey is this still your ranking or something have changed

Feb 21, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #2,359 of 3,418
Any update or those are still the best ones ?
Yeah, after a few months of back and forth on all of them, I'd say (in no particular order) my favs are:

Final Type E TWS
Final Type E Standard
Azla Crystal TWS
Azla SednaEarfit Max Standard

The two TWS pairs are more open sounding with less bass and more treble, the two standard pairs are opposite. I kind of jump back and forth depending on mood/genre but usually I have the Final TWS on as default.

Feb 21, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #2,361 of 3,418
Yeah, after a few months of back and forth on all of them, I'd say (in no particular order) my favs are:

Final Type E TWS
Final Type E Standard
Azla Crystal TWS
Azla SednaEarfit Max Standard

The two TWS pairs are more open sounding with less bass and more treble, the two standard pairs are opposite. I kind of jump back and forth depending on mood/genre but usually I have the Final TWS on as default.
Getting the final Es for sure ( grey one right ?)

Feb 22, 2023 at 6:52 AM Post #2,362 of 3,418
Very comfortable both in sound and in fitment.

NF Audio.jpg

Feb 26, 2023 at 8:40 PM Post #2,367 of 3,418
Do you guys have preferred tips for specific iems or do you just use one set for everything?

Knowing what fits you and gives a good seal helps, not everything is going to work. I usually use L KBEAR 07. L HS18 are useful for anything with driver flex. XL Spring Tips for anything with retention problems or that is a little dark. L CP100 for short nozzles. Tennmak foams for anything sibilant. Even stock tips, if they seal well and sound okay. I also have a range of slightly smaller tips for a deeper fit for IEMs with longer nozzles eg. ML KBEAR 07 or L TRN T-tips. Plus a few hybrid foam silicon tips.

Then there are tips for smaller nozzles and a range of other sizes if I'm loaning an IEM out to someone else.

So all the same except for the ones that aren't!:L3000:

Feb 27, 2023 at 1:59 AM Post #2,368 of 3,418
Do you guys have preferred tips for specific iems or do you just use one set for everything?
Once I figured out my favorite within a large enough sample size, I use one for everything (except when they physically don't fit). Kinda like my Hugo 2. Hugo 2 is far better than the second best portable source I've heard, Tennmak Whirlwind is far better than the second best eartip I heard, but the best sounding IEM or cable I've heard isn't that much better than the second best. So out of every component in my portable chain, the source and eartips are more constant than the IEM and cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back