Best IEM tips?
Jul 10, 2022 at 4:46 PM Post #1,786 of 3,403
Me too! Those are just the latest additions to my collection.
I started out just using the included tips and thought that the price of SpinFits was outrageous. I'd tried included KZ foams and liked the warmer sound. I accepted that stage and imaging weren't as good, but preferred that to harsher treble. Found Tennemak foams mentioned online (including here, I was still lurking then), and found those better. Also bought some Tennmak whirlwinds and wasn't impressed. Wide bores favoring treble wasn't on my radar. I also hadn't figured out that 5kHz peaks and/or boosted treble gave me problems. Then I tried SpinFit CP100s and was presently surprised at the improvement, cost, not so much. I only found my favorite tips because they came included with an IEM. Better size options and smoother treble without sacrificing stage, separation or clarity. So KBEAR 07 became my default. Since I also liked the tuning on TRI IEMs, I've kept acquiring those too. Isn't it funny that their tips work well with their own IEMs. You'd almost think they have a design team that has their s**t together (and shares my tuning preferences). Big bonuses are that that they come in five sizes and aren't expensive. I'm restocking so have fifteen pairs in transit at the moment. Five of those are for a friend, I don't have THAT big a problem!

As with everything in this hobby YMMV, but tip rolling has made huge improvements to my listening enjoyment! :L3000:

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #1,787 of 3,403
I started out just using the included tips and thought that the price of SpinFits was outrageous. I'd tried included KZ foams and liked the warmer sound. I accepted that stage and imaging weren't as good, but preferred that to harsher treble. Found Tennemak foams mentioned online (including here, I was still lurking then), and found those better. Also bought some Tennmak whirlwinds and wasn't impressed. Wide bores favoring treble wasn't on my radar. I also hadn't figured out that 5kHz peaks and/or boosted treble gave me problems. Then I tried SpinFit CP100s and was presently surprised at the improvement, cost, not so much. I only found my favorite tips because they came included with an IEM. Better size options and smoother treble without sacrificing stage, separation or clarity. So KBEAR 07 became my default, and since I also liked the tuning on TRI IEMs I've kept acquiring those too. Isn't it funny that their tips work well with their IEMs. You'd almost think they have a design team that has their s**t together, and also shares my tuning preference. Big bonuses are that that they come in five sizes and aren't expensive. I'm restocking so have fifteen pairs in transit at the moment. Five of those are for a friend, I don't have THAT big a problem!

As with everything in this hobby YMMV, but tip rolling has made huge improvements to my listening enjoyment! :L3000:

Agree. Tips make a big difference. In order of priority for me it’s 1) Source 2) IEM/Headphone 3) Pads/Tips. Kinda like stereo, speakers, speaker housings.

The main problem with tip rolling is that they’re too expensive. ~$20USD for two pairs of the AZLA SednaEarFit Crystals is outrageous, for example. It’s a little piece of plastic. These shouldn’t be more than $5 per pair at the most.

Jul 10, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #1,788 of 3,403
Agree. Tips make a big difference. In order of priority for me it’s 1) Source 2) IEM/Headphone 3) Pads/Tips. Kinda like stereo, speakers, speaker housings.

The main problem with tip rolling is that they’re too expensive. ~$20USD for two pairs of the AZLA SednaEarFit Crystals is outrageous, for example. It’s a little piece of plastic. These shouldn’t be more than $5 per pair at the most.
I paid $30 for JVC EP-FX10 Spiral Dot only to find they are not as good for my IEM. The tricky part of tip rolling is that it only only depends on the IEM/tip combination, but also on individual user as well.

Jul 10, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #1,789 of 3,403
BTW, the high cost of those tips are probably related to the shipping/storage instead of direct material/labor. It reminds me the story I learned from reading "Schiit happened" where a manager reminded others that the single largest cost for a pair of speakers (probably low to medium end and related to the logistics cost decades ago) was the shipping.

Jul 10, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #1,790 of 3,403
I paid $30 for JVC EP-FX10 Spiral Dot only to find they are not as good for my IEM. The tricky part of tip rolling is that it only only depends on the IEM/tip combination, but also on individual user as well.

Same here. Spiral Dots are one of the brands that just doesn’t fit my ears. Lots of factors in play with tips generally.

Jul 10, 2022 at 5:32 PM Post #1,791 of 3,403
BTW, the high cost of those tips are probably related to the shipping/storage instead of direct material/labor. It reminds me the story I learned from reading "Schiit happened" where a manager reminded others that the single largest cost for a pair of speakers (probably low to medium end and related to the logistics cost decades ago) was the shipping.

Well, sure. And then there’s package design, package printing, marketing, support and so forth. I mean, I get why the price is high, but it’s also interesting that some of these tip makers can pump them out at a very low price while others really demand a premium.

Jul 10, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #1,792 of 3,403

A pack of five pairs of KBEAR 07 is $7.90 without shipping, so it depends how long you are prepared to wait. Admittedly it used to cost more for shipping, when you had to buy individual pairs.

Tip manufacturers should be clamoring to have their tips included with IEMs. Cheap marketing for them. Makes me wonder why manufacturers include crappy tips. How many Chus sold because of decent tips?

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2022 at 5:53 PM Post #1,793 of 3,403
Azla SednaEarfit Max, the newest ear tips from Azla, may be the highest sound quality nowadays. Tried different iems with Azla Max, Max made all iems sounded more accurate and wider stage. It's better than any ear tips ever used.
Hey @Dragonite820 wondering if these run true to size or are larger than standard. I use MS in Azla Sedna EarFit Light whereas most tips I am medium.

Jul 10, 2022 at 7:11 PM Post #1,794 of 3,403
Tip manufacturers should be clamoring to have their tips included with IEMs. Cheap marketing for them. Makes me wonder why manufacturers include crappy tips. How many Chus sold because of decent tips?
Several of them do already, 64Audio include SpinFits with their Universals, Unique Melody include Xelastec’s with some of theirs, and Meze include Final E tips with the new Advar. Campfire also include Final’s with some of their IEMs, and of course their own marshmallow foam tips which are quite good.

I haven’t/wouldn’t buy any of those just for the tips of course, but its great that when you are spending a bit more coin on IEMs you often do get some decent tips included.

Jul 10, 2022 at 7:36 PM Post #1,795 of 3,403
Yello spinfits or JVC spiral dots...

Jul 10, 2022 at 8:00 PM Post #1,796 of 3,403
Jul 10, 2022 at 10:20 PM Post #1,798 of 3,403
When I read that, my first thought was Z1R Kawasaki. In your ear? :confounded:
It seems that Japanese really like those weird combination :) I have to google to confirm that you are talking about motorcycles.

Jul 10, 2022 at 10:39 PM Post #1,799 of 3,403
Hey @Dragonite820 wondering if these run true to size or are larger than standard. I use MS in Azla Sedna EarFit Light whereas most tips I am medium.
All 6 sizes of sednaearfit max are thinner than sednaearfit light, however I think it's no fitting problem if you've already using older sednaearfit , azla keep on adjusting their new ear tips by sampling, I feel the sendnaearfit max is more comfortable than the older azla.
FYI

Attachments

• 62c55de3111d4.jpg
    62c55de3111d4.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 10, 2022 at 11:26 PM Post #1,800 of 3,403
All 6 sizes of sednaearfit max are thinner than sednaearfit light, however I think it's no fitting problem if you've already using older sednaearfit , azla keep on adjusting their new ear tips by sampling, I feel the sendnaearfit max is more comfortable than the older azla.
FYI
Thanks @Dragonite820. I ordered two pairs in MS which worked best for me with other AZLA's, hopefully "Max" is true to form!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back