Best IEM for unamped iPod/DAP?
Aug 28, 2007 at 1:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

antoniost

New Head-Fier
I've been reading on the forums that to get the most out of many IEMs, they need to be amped. I'm in the market for an IEM to use with a portable player, but do not want to use an amp. What IEMs sound good straight out of the headphone jack? (If this has been discussed elsewhere, please post the link.)

Aug 28, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #4 of 40
ER-4P.

Aug 28, 2007 at 5:30 PM Post #5 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Varcharz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ER-4P.

X2

Aug 28, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #7 of 40
www.buy.com is selling the ER4p for $173 new, but I have never tried them. It just seemed like a good price. I did buy their ER6i for $72 but I don't recommend those.

In my case the Shure E500PTH for $259 new on ebay was just the ticket!

Aug 28, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #8 of 40
get the Bose in ears.
I heard them at the store, and they were very comfortable with awesome sound. Looking forward to buy a pair myself...

Aug 28, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #10 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
www.buy.com is selling the ER4p for $173 new, but I have never tried them. It just seemed like a good price. I did buy their ER6i for $72 but I don't recommend those.

In my case the Shure E500PTH for $259 new on ebay was just the ticket!

Wow... i couldn't find any E500PTH new on eBay for $259. How did you manage that?

Aug 28, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #12 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by antoniost /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for all your responses. It's seems like the ER-4P is the winner here. I take it the SE530/E500 is only worth it when amped, is this correct?

Nope, opinion changes depending on the time of the day.

ER-4P is more neutral, hence studio monitors. Some people like the E500 more, some people like the Triple.fi 10 pro.

In my opinion, the E500 soundstage and bass blows the ER-4P out of the water.

Aug 28, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #13 of 40
With your budget I would go for E-500, UE 10 or westone 3...
Of those I only have heard the e500 and they work very well unamped but take a leap upwardes when amped...

Why do you want to go ampless ??

If you want to save money then theres is the d-JAYS or maybe the q-JAYS, both good phones...

Aug 28, 2007 at 10:11 PM Post #14 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Claus-DK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of those I only have heard the e500 and they work very well unamped but take a leap upwardes when amped...

So the best bang for your buck is to amp them?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claus-DK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why do you want to go ampless ??

Simple portability. I'm just looking for the best value (bang for the buck) on an IEM that will be used unamped.

Aug 28, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #15 of 40
You are making a big mistake if you buy the ER4Ps over the Atrio M5s. I owned the former, sold them for the latter, and never looked back. The Atrios (in my opinion and I am not alone) are by far the best IEMs for unamped use under $200, not even close. I AB'd them with the ER4Ps over and over, and only one result, the Atrios win.

You can get the Atrios on ebay (via seller roaddogonline) for $139 shipped, using the "make an offer" option. Offer $130. I just got back from a 50-minute walk with the Atrios and my unamped CVM, and it was pure sonic bliss. And from what I hear on my daughter's umodded iPod, you will need all clean, smooth bass you can get. And that's the Atrio's wheelhouse ... smooth, clean, impactful bass, decent mids and highs, and most of all, no listening fatigue or sibilance whatsoever. Try that with the ER4Ps. Not happening.

Just read over the Atrio M5 threads. I hope you haven't pulled the trigger yet. If so, send them back and get the Atrios.

And if you get the Atrios, get some Shure olive tips (mediums seem to work best for most people), invert them, and you are set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back