Best IEM for unamped iPod/DAP?
Aug 28, 2007 at 10:28 PM Post #16 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are making a big mistake if you buy the ER4Ps over the Atrio M5s.

Thanks, I will definitely keep those in mind!

I've been hearing a lot of good things about the SE310. Can anyone comment on how they fair unamped and in comparison to the ER4P or Atrio M5?

Aug 28, 2007 at 10:30 PM Post #17 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by CareyB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X3 on the ER-4P

yeah, or E500 / se530

Aug 28, 2007 at 11:36 PM Post #18 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by antoniost /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the best bang for your buck is to amp them?

Simple portability. I'm just looking for the best value (bang for the buck) on an IEM that will be used unamped.

well if you are determined on not using an amp, I would stay away from phones with an impendence below 20 Ohm , this rules out the e-500 and a lot of other IEMs, the reason for this, is that low impendence gives a hiss when the song is quiet or in between songs...

both d-JAYS and q-JAYS has an impendence of 39-40 and produce much lesser hiss than for example the e-500, the pick between those two very much depends on taste IMO the d-JAYS, which is the cheapest of them, is a fun phone with a forward mid..

The q-JAYS are more analytical and also the better phone overall, in the q-JAYS thread it is said that they remind people of the er4p but with bass, I can not tell because I have not heard the er4p (yet), their signature is very neutral (whatever that is ?). And overall a great phone that holds its own against the e-500 IMO..I have made an comparision here

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=247526

Aug 28, 2007 at 11:45 PM Post #19 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Claus-DK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well if you are determined on not using an amp, I would stay away from phones with an impendence below 20 Ohm , this rules out the e-500 and a lot of other IEMs, the reason for this, is that low impendence gives a hiss when the song is quiet or in between songs...

both d-JAYS and q-JAYS has an impendence of 39-40 and produce much lesser hiss than for example the e-500, the pick between those two very much depends on taste IMO the d-JAYS, which is the cheapest of them, is a fun phone with a forward mid..

The q-JAYS are more analytical and also the better phone overall, in the q-JAYS thread it is said that they remind people of the er4p but with bass, I can not tell because I have not heard the er4p (yet), their signature is very neutral (whatever that is ?). And overall a great phone that holds its own against the e-500 IMO..I have made an comparision here

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=247526

The impedance of E500 is 36 Ohms. Yet they make a hiss with my Meizu M6 and Audigy 4 Pro unless I use the volume attenuator provided with the E500.

Aug 29, 2007 at 12:53 AM Post #20 of 40
I vote for IM716... Cheaper option than ER4... There are some thread comparing both....

Aug 29, 2007 at 1:24 AM Post #21 of 40
The only really good IEM I've heard straight from an unamped DAP is the Westone ES2. The UM2 is not bad, but the ES2 takes everything about the UM2 and makes it much, much better.

Yes, this is a pretty far-out recommendation, but I'm really dissatisfied with all universal-fit IEMs that I've ever come across. None of them have ever passed the simple "does this sound good" test, especially given the asking price.

The ES2 is $650, though you can probably find it for less. It's worth stretching your budget for, if that is possible - especially given your music preferences. This is a very punchy, dynamic, full-sounding IEM that still doesn't skimp on fidelity and detail.

However!!

The Earpeace Livewire is a dual-driver custom-molded IEM, much like the ES2, and it's $259! It has been well reviewed here. I can't honestly recommend it without having heard one, but you really should consider it.

If you want to throw in an amp, then the Shure E500 becomes an option. It improved considerably with the original Hornet, and was definitely a good listen, though the bass was a bit overbearing. I don't like it unamped, however.

Aug 29, 2007 at 2:09 PM Post #23 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only really good IEM I've heard straight from an unamped DAP is the Westone ES2.

Thanks, but $650 out of my budget.

The LiveWires sound promising but in stewtheking's write up he says "They are a very sensitive IEM, which is a bit of a double-edged sword. On the positive side, it means that you "don't need" to lug a portable amp with you on the go, but on the minus side, if your headphone jack is in any way "noisy", then you'll know about it. On my iPod (60Gb iPod Photo) the livewires are un-listenable straight from the headphone jack, due to the amount of hiss and CPU noise that's kicked out."

And I have a 60GB iPod photo, and if that's going to be the case, then I don't think they will be a good setup for me.

Aug 29, 2007 at 2:35 PM Post #24 of 40
his taste in music includes: rock, r&b, blues, electronica, hip hop to occasional classical

i was always under the impression that er4 won't be fantastic w/ rock, R&B, electronica, and especially hip hop due to its rather-reserved bass (notice i didn't say LACK OF.... i IS there i know... just not in huge quantities like some other IEMs... )
as for iM716... they won't sound good unamped... they really ARE power-hungry.....

Aug 29, 2007 at 4:54 PM Post #26 of 40
I haven't tried all of those phones but I've tried a lot of IEMs and for hip-hop and electronic music the best ones I've tried are the Atrio M5s IMO. They don't have quite as much clarity as the armature ones I've tried but the overall sound sig is so much more enjoyable. Especially for hip hop.

Aug 29, 2007 at 5:12 PM Post #27 of 40
I really want to try the q-Jays and haven't, so take this with a little grain of salt, but... I've used (and loved) the Ety ER-4P with my iPods, I've used the Shure SE310 (which I really liked, and which pushed my beloved Etys back to amp-only duty), and I tried the LiveWires. None are as good with an iPod as the Atrio M5, in my experience. I am very much not a basshead -- the Atrios are too much for me with Shure olives or Complys or the FutureSonic or Ety bi/tri-flanges. But with FutureSonic or Etymotic foamies, the Atrios have really nice articulation and detail, very well controlled and extensive bass, and they just have this undefinable punch. The Shures have a sweeter midrange, but compared to the Etys and Atrios, they still have a bit of a high end rolloff, and the Atrio bass is tighter and goes lower than the Shures. The Etys are awesome for classical and when I feel analytical, or when I hook up to my Go-Vibe 6 (using the P->S adapter cable), but the low end recession does put me off a little, especially compared to my Atrios.

The LiveWires are just unlistenable for me with my iPod. They're too sensitive, the hiss drives me nuts, especially because I tend to listen to my music with the volume fairly low. EarPeace says they're working on a solution, but they haven't gotten back to me on it yet. I tried using my P->S adapter with them, and the sound just wasn't good -- it felt just a bit too lean.

So in short -- if you like analytical, the Etys win. If you like detail but still want some punch and, honestly, a bit of a fun sound (I think that's the first time I've ever really realized what fellow audio geeks meant by that term), go with the Atrios. If you're big on the midrange and want a bit more of a warm approach, the Shures will be good for you. I would not recommend the LiveWires for unamped use from an iPod.

Oh, and don't forget to let the Atrios burn in -- they mellowed out a lot over the first month that I had them, and turned into very tasty phones. My initial response was that the bass was just too strong, but changing to the foamies and doing a bunch of tone and pink noise burnin helped a lot.

Aug 29, 2007 at 5:17 PM Post #28 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by ak40ozKevin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't tried all of those phones but I've tried a lot of IEMs and for hip-hop and electronic music the best ones I've tried are the Atrio M5s IMO. They don't have quite as much clarity as the armature ones I've tried but the overall sound sig is so much more enjoyable. Especially for hip hop.

Actually, I think the Atrios are just as clear as the Shure SE310. Maybe not quite as fast as the Etys, but really, what is?

Aug 29, 2007 at 5:38 PM Post #29 of 40
For the un-amped use Atrio M5 is the best!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back