Best IEM for Trance -2014 edition -Now keeping track in the OP!
Jul 12, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #31 of 108
  How far does 'for the money' go? Would they stand up to things like the Sennheiser IE8[0]?

I seem to spend half my time here defining 'what the thread is about' (or, more accurately, what i had hoped to get out of it :p), but my research goal was 'the very best under X money,' rather than 'great value here but.' If that turns up some hidden gems that totally take down most other pairs, then I'll put them in the running, regardless of cost. However, if they're merely good value, rather than outstanding for the music, I'll pass them by gently. Just to clarify, 'for the music' does not necessarily equate to the overall technical performance; tuning and sound signature play huge roles too.

So would you say that the Mediadevils are with the best when it comes to trance, or are they just good-value IEMs? Sorry to put you on the spot :/ 

Just a really good value iem. i just had a b2b with them and the eph-100 is clearly a step ahead especially for trance or jazz.

Just forgot what they sounded like as the mediadevils was always in use.

Jul 12, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #32 of 108

Just a really good value iem. i just had a b2b with them and the eph-100 is clearly a step ahead especially for trance or jazz.

Just forgot what they sounded like as the mediadevils was always in use.

Fair enough. Thanks for that, looks like the EPH-100 will stay on the list a little longer :)

Jul 12, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #33 of 108
If you can, try a hybrid iem. The combination of BA highs and dynamic lows is pretty amazing for edm (which is all i really listen to). The T-Peos H300 would be a good choice. Dunu-1000 as well. 

Jul 13, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #34 of 108
  If you can, try a hybrid iem. The combination of BA highs and dynamic lows is pretty amazing for edm (which is all i really listen to). The T-Peos H300 would be a good choice. Dunu-1000 as well.

I was wondering how long it would be before someone suggested a DUNU IEM...
Do you have any experience with the DN2k at all? :)

Jul 13, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #35 of 108
No, but from what i read it seams to have a very flat frequency response. I prefer a very slight v shape. Sparkly treble and a bit extra bass, but very minimally so. T-Peos just released a brand new iem called the altone200. It's supposed to be a stripped down h300 with minimal accessories and packaging. Its $100. Might be worth checking out

Jul 13, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #36 of 108
  No, but from what i read it seams to have a very flat frequency response. I prefer a very slight v shape. Sparkly treble and a bit extra bass, but very minimally so. T-Peos just released a brand new iem called the altone200. It's supposed to be a stripped down h300 with minimal accessories and packaging. Its $100. Might be worth checking out

Altone 200 is on the list in the OP already :)
I'd heard that the DN2K was quite mid-centric, so i thought it might be a good choice. If you heaven;t heard it, though, you haven't heard it :wink:

Jul 14, 2014 at 4:11 AM Post #37 of 108
Wait, no love for the jvc fxz200? :D
But before I continue,
Hi head-fi'ers!
Been a lurker in head fi for a while, and decided to join today. Learnt about the audio world from head-fi a lot thanks to you guys. This makes my first post :D

I'm also a fan of trance, but mostly listen to ones composed by japanese indies, like this one: Personalizer - composed by Taishi (I listen with 16/44.1 flac)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZWmkXC-81g

Listening to this song through foobar2k -> Fiio E17 -> jvc fxz200 is an absolute pleasure. The powerful bass and sound that envelops your head (the '3D-like' presentation I suppose) makes That intro at the about 11 seconds mark (and the rest of the song, of course) sounds aweh-some on this setup.

Problem with the fxz200 is it doesn't really sound good without proper seal. The default tips given did not do justice: imaging is slightly convoluted from the mids to the highs. On the other hand, Comply tips cause a cut off on the top end of the treble too much to properly enjoy this sort of songs. But then I found that the monster supertips (foam+silicon i think) sealed well for me and man.. Nice separation, powerful bass, natural mids and highs, good details, well extended lows, and very important for trance I suppose: it keeps you toe-tapping all night. 
L3000.gif

Had the fxz200 for 1.5years now. Eyeing the fx850, altone200 
regular_smile .gif

Jul 14, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #40 of 108
 Welcome to Head-fi! Thanks for the great first post :D JVCs are the shiznit.

Thanks! Yes, I love the JVCs. Had used the fxt90 (still has it now) for a year before I bought the fxz200. That pair is awesome too 
bigsmile_face.gif

That's interesting, I've never actually heard of the FXZ200 :/ Everyone waxes lyrical about the FX700, but I've never heard mention of the rest of the range!  
No matter, they shall be added, post haste!

Thanks! I was actually deciding between the fxt90 and fx700 back when I went for short study in japan. I felt like the two stand in the same league in terms of sound quality, and quite similar sound signatures as well (long time ago though, I'm just recalling my impressions from comparing them). The fxz200 is much more refined than fxt90 (and I suppose fx700 as well) in my honest opinion. Like, for example, how fxt90 feels more 'convoluted' in the mid to upper end (difficult to separate out sounds) and much sibilance; low end extension and bass amount were also relatively lacking compared to fxz200, especially for trance, though I may have been too spoilt by the subwoofer at home 
tongue_smile.gif

The fxz200's funky shape and size may not have been for everyone so I guess maybe that's why it's not popular. For me, as long as an iem sounds really good and it doesn't too easily fall off my ear, I'm pretty much ok with any design 
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 15, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #43 of 108
Just decided to Google 'best IEM for trance' to see what would come up, and...

What on earth is a Hippo VB?

'Casue that was one of the higher results :/

EDIT:
Found this about them: http://www.head-fi.org/t/619397/hippo-vb-is-hippo-crap
Make your judgements :wink:

Jul 15, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #44 of 108
Anyone into psy-trance? I'm also a huge fan of uplifting trance. Was shopping in the very top tier of universals (600+). Considering the Sennheiser IE 800's. Anyone got any insight on this tier of IEM's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back