Best IEM for Trance -2014 edition -Now keeping track in the OP!
Jul 11, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #16 of 108
  I would just buy a cheap IEM for trance. Trance is horribly mastered and mixed and high-end IEM's will expose their bad quality. Something like a Shure SE215 would do fine. 

But if you want to spend big money, the Shure SE846 is very good for trance. (however I don't think trance music is high quality music that deserves high quality IEM's)

I think that's a hugely unfair generalisation. Just as many producers will put a lot of time into mastering and production for trance as others would for any other genre. As with anything, there is well made/mastered trance and badly made/mastered trance. The same applies to everything.

One thing that might go against trance is that it's often on compilations with other forms of music. An example might be Andy Moor's new mix, 'Breaking the Silence- Vol.3.' It's a mix of house, trance and a little dubstep, and it's mastered very, very dark. the dark tone suits the house and dubstep well, but the trance (which unfortunately makes up ~75% of the album) just doesn't sound quite right through a lot of systems.
I don;t know if you're just not a trance lover, or whether you've had a bad experience of things like the above, but it's no worse than anything else you could name with regards to production values.

And just to be facetious, the SE846 is usually more than $700 :wink: I set that budget because most 'phones over that are great at every genre under the sun :wink:

Jul 11, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #17 of 108
Of the IEMs i own the DITA "The Answer" is by far the best with any Electronic music. This is compared to IE80, Noble N4, and Fitear F111.

Bass is fabulous, very airy ambience, sweet midrange. Smooth presentation but with plenty of kick. Extended and clear treble.

I agree with the comment from earlier that a V shape is NOT the best sig for Trance. So much of what makes trance and house enjoyable is in the upper midrange.

Dita "The Answer" is at the top of your price range though... Dita the company has fabulous customer service and i would say it is one of the best built IEMs around. Certainly better than any of the others i own although the Fitear is good too.

As for "bad Mastering"... in my experience a lot of trance is very clean and sounds no worse than any other well produced music. 

Jul 12, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #18 of 108
  Of the IEMs i own the DITA "The Answer" is by far the best with any Electronic music. This is compared to IE80, Noble N4, and Fitear F111.

Bass is fabulous, very airy ambience, sweet midrange. Smooth presentation but with plenty of kick. Extended and clear treble.

I agree with the comment from earlier that a V shape is NOT the best sig for Trance. So much of what makes trance and house enjoyable is in the upper midrange.

Dita "The Answer" is at the top of your price range though... Dita the company has fabulous customer service and i would say it is one of the best built IEMs around. Certainly better than any of the others i own although the Fitear is good too.

As for "bad Mastering"... in my experience a lot of trance is very clean and sounds no worse than any other well produced music. 

I disagree. It sounds lifeless, over compressed, bad dynamics, unnatural and so on .... I don't think modern pop music is produced good also if that is your reference. 

I have to agree with the V shape. I personally don't like it either with EDM.

Jul 12, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #19 of 108

I disagree. It sounds lifeless, over compressed, bad dynamics, unnatural and so on .... I don't think modern pop music is produced good also if that is your reference. 

I have to agree with the V shape. I personally don't like it either with EDM.

I'm sorry, but you can't just generalise a whole genre like that. There's in the region of 30 years of music in the genre, across many, many subgenres (uplifting, progressive, epic, hard, etc.). Trance just isn't a year-long trend that'll die without constant marketing, it's a huge scene and producers need to consider every aspect, production and mastering included, if they want to stand out and make a decent career.

TBH, I'm not sure if you're just trolling at this point :/ 

Jul 12, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #20 of 108
  I'm sorry, but you can't just generalise a whole genre like that. There's in the region of 30 years of music in the genre, across many, many subgenres (uplifting, progressive, epic, hard, etc.). Trance just isn't a year-long trend that'll die without constant marketing, it's a huge scene and producers need to consider every aspect, production and mastering included, if they want to stand out and make a decent career.

TBH, I'm not sure if you're just trolling at this point :/ 

I'm not familiar to what constitute as trolling, but this is just my opinion. Let's just agree that we disagree and keep it at that. 

Jul 12, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #22 of 108
@nawillih

I don't think I'm about to take trance IEM recommendations from someone who doesn't even like trance. Anyway, my two votes go for triplefi 10 and T-Peos H-300. They both sound amazing. Tf10 bass doesn't extend enough, but it still has a nice sig.

Jul 12, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #23 of 108
  Fair enough. However, if your opinion is that trance is awful, splashing it all over a trance thread isn't going to get you anywhere. Just sayin' :wink:

I never said trance was aweful, I was strictly referring to the audio quality. I actually listen to EDM sometimes.

Jul 12, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #24 of 108
@nawillih

I don't think I'm about to take trance IEM recommendations from someone who doesn't even like trance. Anyway, my two votes go for triplefi 10 and T-Peos H-300. They both sound amazing. Tf10 bass doesn't extend enough, but it still has a nice sig.

I'm not 100% sure who you were aiming that at, but just to make sure, I'll assure you that i absolutely love trance :wink:
Anyway, both the IEMs that ubs28 suggested are all-rounders that tend to be good for everything, rather than exceptional for something.

Interesting to see another vote for the TF10s. I wasn't really expecting them to still be in the running for the top after the responses in the last TF10 discussion I was involved in, but then this is a subjective hobby, so anything goes really (until you try to argue that $1 Walmart buds outdo SE846s :p).

Jul 12, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #26 of 108
I'll have to do another back to back, but for the money nothing touches my mediadevil artisanphonics.

I have quite a few iems including the eph-100 and i still find myself using the above phones all the time.

Open, spatial and with quite a punch and low end rumble to the bass.
They work so well with all kinds of music, but edm is where they really shine.

Jul 12, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #27 of 108
  I'll have to do another back to back, but for the money nothing touches my mediadevil artisanphonics.

I have quite a few iems including the eph-100 and i still find myself using the above phones all the time.

Open, spatial and with quite a punch and low end rumble to the bass.
They work so well with all kinds of music, but edm is where they really shine.

How far does 'for the money' go? Would they stand up to things like the Sennheiser IE8[0]?

I seem to spend half my time here defining 'what the thread is about' (or, more accurately, what i had hoped to get out of it :p), but my research goal was 'the very best under X money,' rather than 'great value here but.' If that turns up some hidden gems that totally take down most other pairs, then I'll put them in the running, regardless of cost. However, if they're merely good value, rather than outstanding for the music, I'll pass them by gently. Just to clarify, 'for the music' does not necessarily equate to the overall technical performance; tuning and sound signature play huge roles too.

So would you say that the Mediadevils are with the best when it comes to trance, or are they just good-value IEMs? Sorry to put you on the spot :/ 

Jul 12, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #28 of 108
I take it all back.
ASG-2 is the ideal earphone for trance with the right tips and cable. :)
I've been to my fair share of trance raves/EDM music festivals too - just saying this is so close to my signature. Has a TON of energy (probably due to the slightly peaky nature of it) which is required to make the music bounce along. Not to the mention the slamming yet tight mid bass.
If you can find a better IEM for the price, I'm all ears. This is ideal for me

Jul 12, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #30 of 108
For the trance I like Patterson, Askew, kearney etc. I use the Sony EX600 when I want the 'warm sound' and when I get critical I use the Westone 4R.

Hell yeah man, we have the same tastes.
But seriously, I love slamming energy without lack of clarity when I listen to that form of trance - ASG-2 delivers in spades

Users who are viewing this thread

Back