Best IEM for ipod 5.5g around or under $100?
Nov 18, 2014 at 1:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

btym

New Head-Fier
I prefer headphones but I decided I needed something in-ear for listening on the bus and at work etc. Decided to pick up a pair of Pistons because they're dirt cheap. They sound good for the price, but they're pretty bassy and unfortunately I hear constant static from my ipod that I never heard before because they only have 16 ohm impedance. So the Pistons don't seem to be right for me, I'm looking for something a bit more neutral and something a little harder for my ipod to drive so that static doesn't get through.

The RE-400 seem good, are such flat IEMs still fun to listen to? Would probably prefer a slightly warm response to a completely neutral response (the GR07's graph looks nice but I haven't actually listened to them). Also I like the shape of the SE215 since they seem like they'd be comfortable lying down, but they're very bassy :frowning2:

Nov 18, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #3 of 6
  I prefer headphones but I decided I needed something in-ear for listening on the bus and at work etc. Decided to pick up a pair of Pistons because they're dirt cheap. They sound good for the price, but they're pretty bassy and unfortunately I hear constant static from my ipod that I never heard before because they only have 16 ohm impedance. So the Pistons don't seem to be right for me, I'm looking for something a bit more neutral and something a little harder for my ipod to drive so that static doesn't get through.

The RE-400 seem good, are such flat IEMs still fun to listen to? Would probably prefer a slightly warm response to a completely neutral response (the GR07's graph looks nice but I haven't actually listened to them). Also I like the shape of the SE215 since they seem like they'd be comfortable lying down, but they're very bassy :frowning2:

GR07 is a great choice and I've never heard static from it from any source, just be aware that the treble can be a bit sharp, but other than that it ticks all your boxes. RE400 sounds great but the build quality is suspect. A lot of those break. You could also try the Havi B3 with an amp. They have a small recess in the mids, but are generally on the neutral side with a great soundstage for an IEM.

Nov 18, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #5 of 6
Second on the VSONIC GR07 Classic - lendmeurears is a good dealer, quick shipping, accepts paypal, and likely will have some sort of black friday discount (I think they did last year - wouldnt swear to it tho).

Nov 24, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #6 of 6
GR07s came today, they also have static with my ipod. Oh well. They sound great. May I'll get an amp at some point to increase the signal-to-noise or switch to a Fiio X1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back