Best IEM for Dubstep/Drum n bass/Dance music
Aug 8, 2011 at 10:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

sniper slugz

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

First off I'm a long time lurker here at these forums and I can't appreciate enough how much help they've given me.
I purchased some monster turbines from ebay 2-3 years ago (still not sure if they're genuine or not :\) and am ready to upgrade.

I mainly listen to the aforementioned styles + electronic, so strong BASS quantity is very important but I don't want to lose out on quality either.

So with a rough budget of, lets say 300-400$ maximum, What IEM would you guys reccomend?
I dont want custom-fit IEM's by the way, just universals, and small is a bonus too as I don't want to be attracting heaps of attention lol

To get things rolling the few I have it narrowed it down to from what I've read are

Atrio M5's
Monster Turbine Pro Gold
Monster Turbine Pro Copper
Monster Miles Davis Tribute
Earsonics SM3

But any others you think are relevant I will consider too

All help is appreciated, 
Thanks! :)

Aug 8, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #2 of 41
I think you'd be happy with any of those for your specified genres, except for maybe the SM3.  Although, it depends on your preferences. I like to have a bit more in the treble for those Amen Breaks than the SM3 puts out, but it can be de-filtered for a brighter sound. I've got all of them except the MTPG and I'd probably give the nod to the Coppers or Atrio overall. The MDs do dubstep pretty well though.

You could also add in the IE8 or Westone 3 to that list.

Aug 8, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #4 of 41
The Sony new EX series IEMs like EX600, EX7550, EX1000 (all EX are very detailed yet fun to listen with good deep punchy bass response and wide open soundstage), MTP Gold (good upgrade over Turbine with same soundsignature), GR07 (highely detailed with deep punchy bass and open soundstage), Sennheiser IE8 (it offers huge soundstage, deep tight punchy with adjustable knob to increase bass, fairly detailed in mids, highs and very good for these genres music).

Aug 8, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #5 of 41
Thanks guys,
its looking like IE8's might be the way to go.
Just a quick question with the atrio's, is there much difference between the M5's and M8's?
Also between the MTP gold's and miles davis in terms of bass sound?

Keep opinions coming between these few! I want to make a well educated decision :p
Much appreciated!

Aug 8, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #6 of 41
I think the Atrio M5 and M8 simply referred to the colour. They have both been superseded by the Atrio M5 v2 with MG7 driver.

I can't comment on the Golds, but the Miles Davis are really quite bass heavy. Up there with the IE8 and a maxxed out bass knob.

Aug 8, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #7 of 41
The MTP Gold for bass heavy genres like Hip Hop/Rap, Dance and MD tuned for jazz (real instruments). Atrio M5(bass heavy) and M8(more detailed) are different but not much.

Aug 9, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #8 of 41
Okay so taking all your advice and doing more research on my own I've narrowed it down to the IE8's, the MTP Golds, and the Miles Davis tributes.
Because I live in Australia, the best prices I've found for them are roughly (in $AU):

Sennheiser IE8- $360
Miles Davis - $250
MTP Golds - $200

Are the sennheiser's really worth that much more money than the other two for this style of music? And also I've heard about problems with the isolation (I play the drums so it needs to be at least semi-decent) is the isolation that bad?
And any more information comparing the golds and miles davis would be appreciated, 
Thanks, keep those opinions coming! :)

Aug 9, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #9 of 41
To be quite honest, as an avid EDM listener, I'd wholeheartedly recommend you not overlook the latest Atrio M5 with MG7 drivers. They can be easily acquired for $150 and below, and dare I say I prefer them to even the IE8, MTPG, MTPC, and my beloved Miles Davis Tributes if I am to be completely honest. The bass doesn't bleed into the midrange, as it tends to with the Monster series. In fact, the Atrio's are geared almost entirely towards sub-bass, opposed to mid-bass. Once you've managed to find the right tips, isolation (or lack thereof) isn't at all an issue, as was my case with a pair of silicone Monster triple-flanges. At roughly half the cost of the MDT's and IE8's, you really can't go wrong IMO. Not to mention, I'd take the Atrio's over the aforementioned any day of the week. If it's bass you're after, both quality and quantity, it's extremely tough to compete with the Atrio's, considering their price range. IMO, they're even more competent than the ones you've narrowed down to, and I'd find it hard to imagine that you need look elsewhere. Nevertheless, this is just my opinion, and hence my sole recommendation, based upon all the in-ears I've come to own. All the best my friend!
smile.gif

Aug 9, 2011 at 5:18 AM Post #10 of 41
I've heard the MG7 Atrios and I can actually second this recommendation for something pretty incredible for the price. The SM3's for the electronic I listen to are still pretty impressive, notably because they have better timbre than most BA's I've heard, and their speed and articulation for multi layered electronic tracks is terrific. Crystal Castles sounds chilling on them. While you could get even stronger with bass, they have at least as much as the Monster Turbines.

Aug 9, 2011 at 9:13 AM Post #11 of 41
Thanks again for the opinions. 
I think I've decided on getting the IE8's based on everything I've read,
If someone could let me know if these are actually genuine and not fake that would be a big help too because they're the cheapest I can find that deliver to Australia.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sennheiser-IE-8-Earphone-Ear-professional-monitor-/160615096379?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item256567e03b#ht_3598wt_1365

The last few posts about the M5's having better bass than the IE8's for 200$ less is suprising, is this true or is it more equal? (assuming bass knob has been maxxed out on the IE8's) because if they were at least equal I'd still be fine to choose the IE8's because of their superior mids and highs etc.

And can anyone let me know about whether the isolation in the IE8's is truly as bad as I've read in some reviews? I'd like it to be at least usable when I'm playing the drums.

Aug 9, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #12 of 41
I do not recommend buying them from eBay. You might save some money, but even if they are real (which I highly doubt due to country of origin), you will not have any warranty on them. Look for a pair from an authorized dealer and protect yourself in the long run.

Also - if this is your first pair of high-end IEM's keep in mind the law of diminishing return - a pair of $300 IEM's will not necessarily sound twice as good as a pair of $150, depending on the brand / model it might just sound 10% better...

Aug 9, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #13 of 41

Quote:
Thanks again for the opinions. 
I think I've decided on getting the IE8's based on everything I've read,
If someone could let me know if these are actually genuine and not fake that would be a big help too because they're the cheapest I can find that deliver to Australia.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sennheiser-IE-8-Earphone-Ear-professional-monitor-/160615096379?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item256567e03b#ht_3598wt_1365

The last few posts about the M5's having better bass than the IE8's for 200$ less is suprising, is this true or is it more equal? (assuming bass knob has been maxxed out on the IE8's) because if they were at least equal I'd still be fine to choose the IE8's because of their superior mids and highs etc.

And can anyone let me know about whether the isolation in the IE8's is truly as bad as I've read in some reviews? I'd like it to be at least usable when I'm playing the drums.

I will recommend not to buy from eBay because lots of fake IE8 available on it and only buy from local authorized dealer. The Genuine IE8 are amazing for these genres music with huge soundstage(out of head) and shows great details in mids n highs. The fake IE8 are poorly made and sound like cheap earbuds with big bass and smaller soundstage.

Aug 9, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #14 of 41
The problem is that I live in Australia, and there are no authorised dealers I've found with it for less than 500$ let alone $360... (in fact ive only found two authorised dealers at all...)
I've spent a few hours looking but if you think you can find me one though that would be perfect :)
And in regards to that SPECIFIC LINK above would you think it was genuine? He has huge feedback and gives a 2 year warranty...

Aug 9, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #15 of 41
Compared to many Ebayers, he looks ok. I suppose the only doubt would be where he gets them from but again, looks fine to me.
I am selling a pair but not sure I would want to ship them over from the UK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back