Best IEM for contemporary orchestral and 1950/1960 jazz ?
Apr 24, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #16 of 27
After several hours listening Kind of Blue over and over comparing the same bars, I have more mixed feelings : a certain clarity and transparency,
but tones seem not always natural, with a marked sibilance on the trumpet (which is annoying, speaking about Miles Davis, king of high dynamic
contrasts in all smoothness).
There are certainly more information than with my old B&O 8, but it seems strangely not in place.
I'll also try the Sony MDRX1000, which seem highly regarded here and elsewhere. 
The upside here is that it confirms just how true to life my main system is. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 24, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #17 of 27
Quote:
After several hours listening Kind of Blue over and over comparing the same bars, I have more mixed feelings : a certain clarity and transparency,
but tones seem not always natural, with a marked sibilance on the trumpet (which is annoying, speaking about Miles Davis, king of high dynamic
There are certainly more information than with my old B&O 8, but it seems strangely not in place.
smily_headphones1.gif

Seems like you're not falling for the BA timbring. Very much understandable. Do check out the Sonys (or the 7550s, less trebly) for what they're worth :D

Apr 25, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #19 of 27
Quote:
smily_headphones1.gif

If you want instruments sound so natural and dynamic then JVC FX700 are highly recommended because it uses wood housing and it add warmth and texture which help instruments to sound so natural and dynamic. It has very deep reverbing bass, bright extended highs and wider soundstage than avrage iems. IMO they sound close to Grado headphones(famous for natural warm soundsignature) with bigger bass. JVC FXZ200 are also very good with instruments and sound big, dynamic. The other IEMs like EX1000, ATH-CK100Pro, Heir Audio 4Ai are also very good buy for these genres music. BTW MTP Copper need long burn in and perfect tip to sound there best.

Apr 25, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #20 of 27
Quote:
If you want instruments sound so natural and dynamic then JVC FX700 are highly recommended because it uses wood housing and it add warmth and texture which help instruments to sound so natural and dynamic. It has very deep reverbing bass, bright extended highs and wider soundstage than avrage iems. IMO they sound close to Grado headphones(famous for natural warm soundsignature) with bigger bass. JVC FXZ200 are also very good with instruments and sound big, dynamic. The other IEMs like EX1000, ATH-CK100Pro, Heir Audio 4Ai are also very good buy for these genres music. BTW MTP Copper need long burn in and perfect tip to sound there best.

Nice input, Zarim.

Apr 26, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #21 of 27
I'm going to throw in a vote for the EX1000s as well. I recently had the chance to demo them and they sound amazing.

I also have found that my newest aquisitions the ASG-1 rev 3, do fantastic for those genres as well. Especially jazz, make it live vocal jazz and you feel like you are in the audience.

Honestly I'm starting to greatly prefer the Dynamic driver to BA. I love BA for midrange and high clarity and instrument separation (which is why I'll probably upgrade to the ASG-2), but for what it is worth, the dynamic driver allows for greater soundstage, which allow genres like classical and big band jazz to really excel.

Apr 29, 2013 at 8:06 AM Post #22 of 27
Exit the Turbine which is really all over the place in terms of soundstage and placement of instruments,
and confusing clarity or transparency with glassware music. Really disturbing to listen to these guys (after around 15 hours).

Enters the Sennheiser IE80. These guys do make music. It's not that transparent, but soundstage, without being wide,
is firmly in place, timbers are accurate, adding of subtracting less to or from the music. I paid them 180 USD and so far
am pleased with it.

Waiting for the Ortofon eQ-7 from Japan later this week.

After that I'll do the testing with Sony 7550 and EX-1000, plus the JVC suggested by Zarim. Clever shot. Never thought of JVC in that arena.

Over. 

May 7, 2013 at 8:50 AM Post #23 of 27
Received Ortofon QE-7 and listening to it since this morning. A jewel. Not as well architectured as the the IE-80 soundstagewise, but an extreme clarity
without harshness or displeasing sibilances, finely detailed while maintaining a good sound hierarchy. Dynamics is really fast, which is serving well
contemporary music. Less efficient for large orchestral music (lacking width in the lower range and medium).
Plus it's extremely well built and elegantly
presented. A mile away from the flimsy Monster Turbine.

Just waiting for the Sure 535 in ten days to complete that study in IEM.
Thank you for the Ortofon (ear)tip…

May 7, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #24 of 27
I did not like the SE535 for Classical nor Jazz. Soundstage is very small too.

I know you have given yourself a limit of 400 $ but you should seriously consider to jump to customs. Especially the soundstage, separation and imaging will improve.
I am not too familiar with the technicalities, but it has something to do with having a larger housing and being able to implement cleaner crossovers than smaller universals with multi-BA design.

I think the UE-4 would also fit your budget but I actually want to recommend you the Ultimate Ears In-Ear Reference Monitor. For Jazz you might prefer a little warmth but I haven't heard anything better for Classical.

However, you might also like the coherence, timbre and soundstage of the dynamic EX-1000 so I am looking forward to your impressions.

May 9, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #27 of 27
A rationale to consider, Ultrazino.
For I'm totally reconsidering things, I'll have first to move cash and sell my Klipschorn.
I intend for awhile to limit myself to a system headphones only. 

For now, the QE-7 Ortofon are my best bet. Real transparence, very well spaced out, much natural and fluidity (finally more than the Sennheiser,
which are capped in the high and medium a bit). Very convincing for instance with Debussy's orchestral pieces.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back