Best IEM for contemporary orchestral and 1950/1960 jazz ?
Apr 18, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #2 of 27
Quote:
I'm new to IEM and look for a good pair for under 400 USD.
Mostly 20-th century (from Chostakovitch to Boulez) and 1950/1960 jazz.

First off - http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here

Genres are helpful but stating sound preferences would be even more so (unless that was intended to not have been considered within the criteria). If you mind a loss in ergonomics and isolation the EX1000 do Classical and natural instruments extremely well for some people's tastes. Again, depends on how you like your genres to be presented and which areas you would put the most priority in.

Apr 19, 2013 at 4:59 AM Post #5 of 27
Thank you all three.
First, I must admit the thread about 131 IEM left me a bit perplexed : 669 pages counting. Felt like entering a jungle in bikini.
Regarding my preferences, I mainly favour soundstage, clarity and timbers. My main system has been built and tweaked by one the french masters in sound engineering and retains more or less these qualities (Cochet PS1 + ALS1 tubes pre-amp and amp, modded Klipschorn).
I intend to buy a Sennheiser 800, a Ultrasone Edition 10 and possibly an Audeze 2 or 3 to complete this.
But I need a good IEM on the go, retaining the same qualities.
I've read a lot of good about the SE535.
Finally, I won't spend more than 300/400 euros (450/600 USD).

Apr 19, 2013 at 5:19 AM Post #6 of 27
Quote:
Thank you all three.
First, I must admit the thread about 131 IEM left me a bit perplexed : 669 pages counting. Felt like entering a jungle in bikini.
Regarding my preferences, I mainly favour soundstage, clarity and timbers. My main system has been built and tweaked by one the french masters in sound engineering and retains more or less these qualities (Cochet PS1 + ALS1 tubes pre-amp and amp, modded Klipschorn).
I intend to buy a Sennheiser 800, a Ultrasone Edition 10 and possibly an Audeze 2 or 3 to complete this.
But I need a good IEM on the go, retaining the same qualities.
I've read a lot of good about the SE535.
Finally, I won't spend more than 300/400 euros (450/600 USD).

1) I think there's more than 131 in the running by now :p Of course no one expects you to read the entire thread - in fact that would be completely against the point. Use the reviews as reference and ask questions if you have any remaining - it's just that you're more prone to get answers on a thread with more traffic (that's not to say the previous 600+ pages mean anything when all you're doing is just asking questions - I fail to see how that would cause any confusion).
2) Going to quote myself on something from another thread regarding the soundstage and timbre thing - 
I play the violin as well (not as long as you have, but I get by), and the only headphone I've heard with proper timbre that I can use to monitor and record with the piano, violin, anything acoustic, would be the LCD-2. Obviously that's not an IEM, but it's really hard to find something that comes close. They don't mesh well with my current sig tastes, but I will keep them forever for that reason alone. 

BAs might not have the timbre you're looking for, but it really depends on tuning in the end. The W4s are some of the best universals I've heard for classical, the timbres is among the closest as you'll get from BAs. The EX1000 do much, much better in this regard, and if you won't mind the fit and isolation, I think these will be your best bet. Get the ER4S first and see how that goes. 

Quote:
Piano, timbre, large stage, good imaging, under $150, more note presence than the B2s, more bass presence/punch - this really, really sounds like the EX600s. Vast, airy staging, V-shape with bass texture up the wazoo, timbre accuracy is probably second only to their older brother the EX1000s. Notes are clear but very satisfying. If you can stand the lack of isolation and ergonomics, they are a no-brainer sound-wise.

Apr 19, 2013 at 5:23 AM Post #7 of 27
Thank you so much. That's enlightening.
I think I'll take advantage of the Amazon return policy, order the EX1000, W4R, Monster Turbine, SE535, do my homework and return back within 30 days
the one I deem unfit.
Practically speaking, I must say I'm impressed by the sturdiness of built of Monster and Sony offerings, (even the S535) and unimpressed by the apparent flimsiness
of the W4R.

Apr 19, 2013 at 5:34 AM Post #8 of 27
Quote:
Thank you so much. That's enlightening.
I think I'll take advantage of the Amazon return policy, order the EX1000, W4R, Monster Turbine, SE535, do my homework and return back within 30 days
the one I deem unfit.
Practically speaking, I must say I'm impressed by the sturdiness of built of Monster and Sony offerings, (even the S535) and unimpressed by the apparent flimsiness
of the W4R.

They are rather plastic aren't they? And that's coming from someone who owns a pair :p
In order to further my devious selling-you-on-the-EX1000 agenda, I have to say that the Sonys have stupendously industrial yet refined build. Just screams luxurious.

Apr 19, 2013 at 5:55 AM Post #9 of 27
In fact, I just read a thread where multiple users complain from the Turbine's repeated reliability problems and lousy customer service from Monster.
Exit the Turbines and narrowing the choice to EX1000, SE535 and W4R. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 20, 2013 at 7:06 AM Post #11 of 27
Perhaps he's referring to the normal Turbines (in which case, I can't remember whether or not they have the generous warranty the upper-end models have) but that would make less sense as he would then be putting them with far more pricey competition.

Apr 20, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #12 of 27
http://www.head-fi.org/t/570806/monster-turbine-pro-copper-mod

http://www.head-fi.org/t/651311/monster-turbine-no-highs-in-one-channel

http://www.head-fi.org/t/599175/monster-turbines

+ many more Googling

Apr 20, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #13 of 27
Earsonics SM64 :)
Some of the sweetest highs you could come across and a huge 3Dish soundstage! My old Rat Pack records sound super awesome with them.

Apr 24, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #14 of 27
I ordered several pairs : Sony EX1000, Westone 4R, Turbine Copper.

So far received and tested the Turbine, which I find disappointing. Comparing to my reference system (Cochet PS-1 & ALS1 & Klipschorn) which renders
tones with a dynamic rarely heard except in concert, I find it tinny, lacking impulses. All timbers of instruments are shrill, for instance with Pierre Boulez
Pli selon Pli and Miles Davis Kind of Blue.
When comparing with my B&O 8, granted, the Copper in more finely detailed, but lacking musicality and not justifying the price gap.
I'm waiting for the Westone and the Sony to compare. I'll receive the Sure 535 later, as they're out of stock on Amazon now. 

Apr 24, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #15 of 27
Quote:
I'm new to IEM and look for a good pair for under 400 USD.
Mostly 20-th century (from Chostakovitch to Boulez) and 1950/1960 jazz.

I'd definitely give consideration to the Westone W4R, W3 and Shure Se530, each with triple flange tips to maximise seal.

Good luck  and good listening :)

Regards,

Kevin 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back