best headphones under 200$
Jan 16, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #16 of 26
I still believe something has changed between the 50 and the 50x.  The X is not fatiguing in the least.
I believe the cable company does headphone rentals, for the person interested in that.

Jan 17, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #18 of 26
DT880 or the 990 would be my recommendation.  The 990 is more colored, bass-bloated overall, while the 880 is more flat and accurate.  Neither headphone is what I would consider bass-shy.  Personally I prefer the DT880 bass response.  IMHO bass response is the DT880s biggest strength.  Airy, articulate and very detail revealing for the price.  I'd have one myself if it weren't for its treble boost... which triggers my tinnitus.  I guess I could EQ it down on the iTunes EQ.

FWIW... its voiced very similarly to the HD800.  Of course it won't image the same, transient response and harmonic content will differ.

Jan 17, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #21 of 26
I'd recommend the Sony 7506. They aren't technically known as basshead headphones but the bass is clear, deep and fast. It's not as boomy as the m50 but is way more controlled and faster. It makes music engaging and exciting. 

Jan 17, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #22 of 26
So coming from Beats and LP2's and looking for more quality bassy headphones, why is everyone recommending neutral headphones?

I'd think you'd want something like the V-moda M100 or maybe JVC SZ2000 both are about 50 dollars over your price range though. 

Jan 17, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #23 of 26
So coming from Beats and LP2's and looking for more quality bassy headphones, why is everyone recommending neutral headphones?

I'd think you'd want something like the V-moda M100 or maybe JVC SZ2000 both are about 50 dollars over your price range though. 

What do you think about fidelio X2?

Jan 17, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #24 of 26
Those are more audiophile grade(not bass heavy) and open so they leak sound and they're not on par with the bass accentuation you're used to but if you're looking for a change, they are very well reviewed headphones. I don't have experience with them so I can't really go in depth. 

Jan 17, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #25 of 26
What do you think about fidelio X2?

Fidelio X2 is more neutral than what you are used to listen to. I personally don't like the X2 that much. It's sound is not natural to listen to -it sounds like it's overemphasizing all frequencies at once- and it lacks detail imo.

An amp will have an effect on the sound quality, but looking at your budget, the best thing you can do is to purchase better headphones and make sure the source is good (what source do you use?). For electronic music lossless audio can certainly make a difference as well.

I don't know whether you want a headphone for home listening or on the go, but if you're looking for good bass extension and punch, any open headphone under $200 will lack the characteristics you are looking for.

So you need to look for closed headphones to stay below $200 or you'd have to purchase used headphones... even then it's hard to find good punchy open headphones. The V-moda M100 and the Sony MDR-XB500 are very good contenders in the bass heavy market. Both of them are above your budget though.

If you don't mind equalizing The Beyerdynamic DT880 can be made into your ideal cans. These deliver the most accurate bass for any headphones near the $200 price tag and with an equalizer you can make it as punchy as you like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back