Best Headphones under $200?
Apr 11, 2012 at 2:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

LiquidMusic

New Head-Fier
Hey bros and ladies, I've been searching the market for a definitive set of headphones for all around use that cost around 200 USD and the market is absolutely flooded help me decide!

Apr 11, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #2 of 51
What type of music do you listen to most? Do you consider yourself a "bass head" or want something more balanced? The more details you provide, the more folks can help.

My favorite headphones under two bills is easy...Grado SR80s. (It would probably be the Grado 225s, but I jumped to the 325s and have never heard the models in between.) But whether Grados would be to your liking depends on your preferences.

Apr 11, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #3 of 51
I'm a very eclectic listener, something that is an all purpose headphone that doesn't require any fuss and is durable is preferred, I love being able to enjoy music everywhere. balance and shining treble that doesn't bite too hard is preferred sibilance is my nightmare. I'm new to the scene here so I'm trying my best to describe what I would like ^_^

Apr 11, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #4 of 51
Grados are more for home use, so if you want portability they probably aren't the best choice. I have some Ultrasone 15g portables, and I hear that the higher models, namely the 580 and 780, are significantly better. They would probably be good to add to your short list, and I'm sure the experts at head-fi will load you up with other recs.

If you consider IEMs at all, check out the Atrio M5s. There is a deal available where you can get them for half off, which ends up being a complete smokin' deal.

Good luck brother

Apr 11, 2012 at 2:51 AM Post #5 of 51
Keep in mind I'm not the kind of guy who cares if he looks a bit goofy wearing a giant pair of odd colored headphones on the plane or driving, so feel free to just recommend whatever is legitimately the best pair of headphones for the money that offer at least a tad bit of what I need.

Apr 11, 2012 at 8:33 AM Post #6 of 51
The denon d2000 is fantastic at the $200 price point. But they are big with an emphasis on bass and sparkly treble.

Apr 11, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #7 of 51

Quote:
I'm a very eclectic listener, something that is an all purpose headphone that doesn't require any fuss and is durable is preferred, I love being able to enjoy music everywhere. balance and shining treble that doesn't bite too hard is preferred sibilance is my nightmare. I'm new to the scene here so I'm trying my best to describe what I would like ^_^

Ultrasone HFi-780 = good isolation, durable, portable, nice looking. Bass is punchy but of good quality and overall well balanced. No amp is required but I do recommend eventually getting one.

These are know for being uncomfortable. I stretched mine over a box for a night to lessen the clamping power and replaced a top cushion with a softer piece of foam. Comfort is now much better, just as good as my Sennheisers I think.

Apr 11, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #10 of 51
Thanks for all the help guys! I've been looking online and I see that everyone here seems to love the Sennheiser HD 558 any thoughts on that? at $140 it seems like a steal considering it's constant praise from just about everyone, also how would it be for taking to an office, or as a set I can easily travel with?

Apr 11, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #14 of 51
Would help if you listed your genre. I had the 558's and they sounded very boring. 

Apr 11, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #15 of 51

Quote:
Thanks for all the help guys! I've been looking online and I see that everyone here seems to love the Sennheiser HD 558 any thoughts on that? at $140 it seems like a steal considering it's constant praise from just about everyone, also how would it be for taking to an office, or as a set I can easily travel with?

Have you considered the Ultrasone HFI-580? besides sound quality, they have a nice design (foldable) which is convenient for portability. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back