Best headphones under $150?
Nov 6, 2010 at 10:17 AM Post #17 of 27
I owned the Shure SRH440 and they are great cans and have those clear Highs and nice MIds you are looking for! The only problem is the Bass is rolled back and i guess you want be satisfied listening to Hip Hop or Electronic Music with them, if you enjoy alot of Bass... (Thats the reason i upgraded towards the 840s which have the same sonic qualities as the 440s, with a little bit bigger Soundstage and no Roll of in the Bass!)

But if they have to be $150 max id also recommend the HD 25 II, they are one of the most isolating Phones out there! Otherwise the ATH-M50s really are great Phones as well and look much sexier in my opinion! Though i find them a bit to bassy for my taste..

What about the Beyerdynamic DT770?

Nov 6, 2010 at 12:03 PM Post #18 of 27

Quote:
I owned the Shure SRH440 and they are great cans and have those clear Highs and nice MIds you are looking for! The only problem is the Bass is rolled back and i guess you want be satisfied listening to Hip Hop or Electronic Music with them, if you enjoy alot of Bass... (Thats the reason i upgraded towards the 840s which have the same sonic qualities as the 440s, with a little bit bigger Soundstage and no Roll of in the Bass!)

But if they have to be $150 max id also recommend the HD 25 II, they are one of the most isolating Phones out there! Otherwise the ATH-M50s really are great Phones as well and look much sexier in my opinion! Though i find them a bit to bassy for my taste..

What about the Beyerdynamic DT770?

Have you owned the DT770 too? How do you compare them to the SRH840? I am between these two.

Nov 6, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #19 of 27
I loved the Denon D1001s, for $130.  Lovely sound, excellent bass impact.  Warm yet detailed.  Apparently they've been replaced by the D1100s, though, so they might be difficult to find.

Nov 6, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #21 of 27
I am looking into solutions to #6. I think headphones are by far the easiest to be made stylish, much more so than earbuds and IEMs. Yet no manufacturer seem to want to fuse aesthetics and premium SQ together. Though there are a few exceptions.

Ath-esw9s come to mind. They are not exactly white, but the deep red wooden pieces look refined and gracious. 

Also Panasonic RP HTX9s come in a white-ish silver that's also pretty cool. 

The white versions of the PX100 and 200s both look pretty...well, pretty. But they aren't cans. 

And then you always have the option to go Beats. The Beats Solo (in white) and Solo HD (sexy red) can be had for around $150 if you look hard enough. (might have to settle for used or refurb for Solo HD)

Nov 6, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #22 of 27
#5 = comfort -- not looks though I agree that an all white version would be awesome
biggrin.gif

I have a big head and have owned the M50s for more than a month now. However, they still crush my ears and show no signs of stretching up and loosening. IMO they need to have velour earpads. The pleather ones are too uncomfortable for people with large heads.
redface.gif

Nov 6, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #23 of 27

Quote:
#5 = comfort -- not looks though I agree that an all white version would be awesome
biggrin.gif

I have a big head and have owned the M50s for more than a month now. However, they still crush my ears and show no signs of stretching up and loosening. IMO they need to have velour earpads. The pleather ones are too uncomfortable for people with large heads.
redface.gif

That's the exact reason I went to the HARX900's from the M50's, even though I liked the overall sound of the M50's a bit better. The 900's still win in bass though.
s

Nov 19, 2010 at 3:32 AM Post #25 of 27

Quote:
  Have you owned the DT770 too? How do you compare them to the SRH840? I am between these two.

In my opinion the Srh840 is the better allriunder, it has a better frequency response and sounds much more open, than the DT770! The DT770 has recessed mids and a very "pleasent hifi sound" which i do not like... (love detailed mids)

allthough i must say i find the dt770 better isolating and more compfortable...the 840s are killing me ...

I got my HD 600 today and i must say, the SRH840, if properly amped, aound very alike! the 840s really did an amazing job on not sounding closed

Nov 19, 2010 at 10:51 AM Post #26 of 27

Users who are viewing this thread

Back