Best headphones under $150?
Nov 5, 2010 at 1:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

tman1017

New Head-Fier
ok, i have $150 or so, and i need new OVER EAR headphones, i would like:

1. bass: i really like to have bass in a pair of headphones. but i would not like it to over power the sound like with any of the beats headphones
2. sound quality: in addition to bass i want sound quality, i want crystal clear highs and mids, and i want thumping lows
3. durrablility: i dont want some cheap pair of headphones that breaks when i try to put them on my head, i would like to be able to throw them into my backpack and take them to school with me
4. functionability: i dont want some 8ft cord coming out of my pocket, and i dont want some heavy, giant pear of headphones that protrude from my head, i want somewhat lower profile but mainly light, size doesnt matter too much
5. comfort: i will at times be using these headphones for hours, so i would like them to be very comfortable
6. style: i like to have stylish headphones, i like white.

i dont just want brands, i want models too, and if u can could u post a link? it would be greatly appreciated 

thanks,
tman1017

Nov 5, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #6 of 27
Sony MDR-V6 they are great in all of the above, and if you go for the XB500- try the XB 700 i used to have them, and loved them.

Nov 5, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #8 of 27
Give a try to the Shure SRH440. They fulfill all your requisites (aside from 5. maybe) .I was impressed by how well they sounded for the price albeit I had to sell them due to comfort problems.  I'm even thinking about grabbing another pair and doing some mod to improve them comfort-wise.

Nov 5, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #9 of 27
Serisouly, sony MDV-v6, great phones for what your looking for.

Nov 5, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #10 of 27
I just got a pair of 840's and I LOVE THEM.
So far I've only listened to rap with them and they've been fine, bass is nice and not sloppy and sq is pretty good.
New can be had around 140-150 on ebay and from my knowledge theres no fakes of them.

Now they say the quality step from the 440 to the 840 isn't to big and I really can't comment but I assume, u could get the dj's instead of the 40's model, not sure of the price but it has to be around 100 but I assume the bass is more.

I heard the highs on the v6 is a little sharp, I don't have any problems with my 840's.

Nov 6, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #12 of 27
I would have to say HARX900's... I've heard a lot of phones in the $100 range, and some sound better, but none offer the combination of comfort, sound and price, IMO. They also aren't hurting in the bass department. They have ample bass at flat EQ, and can easily handle a few dB of boost without completely mudding out. Sound wise, I'd say they are $80 phones... but comfort and construction wise, I'd say they're $250 phones.

One thing that makes them nice is that they have laid back highs for those with sensitive ears, but easily can be modded for more in your face (or clearer, however you like to call it) highs.

Nov 6, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #13 of 27
ATH-M50 coiled cable.

Everything but #5.

Nov 6, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #15 of 27

Quote:

x 2 . Any suggestions to solve problem #5 ?

That's one of the biggest problems with headphones IMO... and why I keep coming back to my HARX's even though I know there are much better to be had. They sound just good enough for me to be happy, and they don't hurt my head, or my wallet. They're a bit big, but I think they look cool (which they admittedly probably don't).

He did say he wants "thumping" lows, I wouldn't really classify the M50's as thumping IME. They are "enough" IMO, but definitely not thumping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back