Best Headphones under $100 Without an Amp?
Dec 17, 2013 at 1:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

devilmonk

100+ Head-Fier
After looking at this list http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-108-portable-headphones-reviewed-denon-dn-hp1000-added-09-07-13

And like 3 weeks+ of other research, I just honestly can't decide anymore.

I listen to mainly soft rock, rock, and pop. +some gaming and watching movies with them.
I have never owned pretty expensive headphones so I have no idea what people mean when they say 'sound signature'
I have a roommate so I'd prefer closed headphones.
I kind of care what they look like, but not to the point of neglecting sound/build/comfort quality for better looks.
My max budget is $100, but that's including shipping+tax, also, who wouldn't want to save some extra cash?

Dec 17, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #3 of 59
  Also, I can't figure it out, is soft rock low/mid/or high?

Almost all music is a mix of the three (not to mention treble and bass), just use your best judgement in determining which is which (eg: a low-note; lows, a high-note; highs, and a mid-note; mids). As for your question, I would personally say that you should get a pair of Grado SR60i or some used/cheap Shure SRH750DJs.

SR60i Pros: High moddability, great for rock/soft rock, best headphones <$100 (my opinion).

SR60i Cons: Open cans, don't have too much bass, look rather ugly on-head, aren't too comfortable for long periods of time, not too good for pop.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SRH750DJ Pros: Nice, warm soundstage, look great (my opinion), closed cans, comes with spare set ear cups/carry bag, durable.

SRH750DJ Cons: $130 new (you'd have to buy used/stretch your budget), low portability (10 ft. cable), not too good for soft rock.

Dec 17, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #7 of 59
I'm a sucker for Fischer 003 clones with a good package value.

NVX Audio XPT100 can be had for $80 on amazon w/free shipping and do not require fancy amplification to sound good.

Dec 17, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #8 of 59
FA003 is not really portable..unless you really don't care how you look. It's quite huge.But would fit your needs well otherwise.

I am not sure what your player you have. But if it's an apple product UE 6000. I am breaking in an UE6000. It's awesome unamped with an apple product. Can be had real cheap. It has some serious problems/defects.(see my post on the UE6000 thread) But if you can get a good working headphone it has a lot of pluses for you.

Pro: 2 for 1. The passive version is a pleasant allround if bit bark/bassy can. Turn on the NC it turns into a bass monster. Quite fun. Vshaped but still holds good seperation. No bass bloat or bleeds.
Cheap. Around 60$
Good support Logitech
Works great unamped. NC has build in amp/boost.
Noise cancelation

Cons: Lots of weird defects.
Cable or headset doesnt work well with non apple product.

Dec 17, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #9 of 59
  FA003 is not really portable..unless you really don't care how you look. It's quite huge.But would fit your needs well otherwise.

I am not sure what your player you have. But if it's an apple product UE 6000. I am breaking in an UE6000. It's awesome unamped with an apple product. Can be had real cheap. It has some serious problems/defects.(see my post on the UE6000 thread) But if you can get a good working headphone it has a lot of pluses for you.

Pro: 2 for 1. The passive version is a pleasant allround if bit bark/bassy can. Turn on the NC it turns into a bass monster. Quite fun. Vshaped but still holds good seperation. No bass bloat or bleeds.
Cheap. Around 60$
Good support Logitech
Works great unamped. NC has build in amp/boost.
Noise cancelation

Cons: Lots of weird defects.
Cable or headset doesnt work well with non apple product.

I remember the op saying something about looks being the pinnacle of his audio-cares. 
rolleyes.gif

Also why would you recommend something $20 less if it has compatibility issues with non-apple products?

Dec 17, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #10 of 59
Just a warning about the FA003 clones. and it's portabiity. Not about it;s looks. IMO looks nice in a classic way.

If he is a apple user...highly recommend the UE 6000. Suprisingly good unamped performance.At 60$ in teh USA...awesome price performance if he can get a headset without defects.

Dec 17, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #11 of 59
Hifiman RE-400 for sure.

Dec 17, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #12 of 59
At the risk of sounding unoriginal, the ATH-M50's still remain as one of the best under $200. They are currently available new on Amazon for $102 and used for around $90. I know it's $2 over budget, but c'mon. Skip that coffee one day if you really like them.

Best Wishes, 
DigitalTherapy

Dec 17, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #13 of 59
Devil monk I Agree with what think glasses said as you can see in the graph music does take the shape of many tones.  

Madonna's album like  a virgin looks like this..  and the grado's would play this pretty damn good.. 

Generally Vocals can take many tones. Symbols are High Voices can range from low to high. the big bass drum is almost low etc.. open back headphones will have more open air in them..  closed headphones can be tighter and still sound good.. **  

what's cool is I found some AKG 142's brand new on ebay for 60 bucks and they sound a hundred times better than those $300+ dollar Beats by Dre headphones I tried: those things are a joke..     Be patient..   do your research..  dynamic range is important and find yourself some cool headphones..:) :)  

Dec 17, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #15 of 59

I remember the op saying something about looks being the pinnacle of his audio-cares. 
rolleyes.gif

Also why would you recommend something $20 less if it has compatibility issues with non-apple products?

I kind of care what they look like, but not to the point of neglecting sound/build/comfort quality for better looks.

Umm..no i didn't say that lol

And I'll be using them primarily on my computer, and I don't have a Mac. All that being said, the NVX Audio XPT100 look like a really great pair. They are a bit bulkier than I'd prefer but w/e.

9 days till boxing day... you guys think the price will go any lower than $80? Cus I live in canada and they don't offer free shipping from US to Canada, and I can't find these on amazon.ca for some reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back