Best headphones that sound very different than HD600S for under $400?
Jun 6, 2013 at 12:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

TheChosen0ne

100+ Head-Fier
I got the HD600s for about a year and a half now.  Before that I just used iphone/ipod earbuds and I used it for my PC too so that was a huge change.  Now I'm looking for new headphones that sound completely different than the HD600s but offer just as good of sound quality that HD600s offer.  I'm not getting rid of my HD600s, just need to change things up from time to time.  I like all genres and will be using it for my desktop PC.

Jun 6, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #2 of 47
 If you just need to change things up, try a Fiio E6 portable headphone amplifier for about $30 US. It has 4 EQ settings and can change things up. 

HD 600's on a laptop is not really a good idea without a headphone amp, as a matter of fact there are not too many quality open backed headphones that will sound great unamped. 

If you like the E6 you can move up to maybe the Fiio E12 ($120US) or JDS Labs O2($175) or C5 ($175). Get the O2 if you don't plan on moving around much or the C5/E12 if you travel a lot. 

If you just want different headphones and no headphone amp, Try the V-Moda M80, it's sweeter midrange than the new M100, a better for an unamped laptop BUT the 600's have better separation than soundstage. The M100 has much more bass and is louder than the M80. 

I also recommend the Marshall Monitor headphones, very flat and neutral with the highs a bit recessed for smoothness/warmth, but near or at the top for separation on closed headphones. They are also capable of being driven fine without a headphone amp. The problem with the Marshall is an estimated 100 hours burn in before they sound great. V-Moda pretty much sound great immediately. 

If you get a headphone amp and STILL want another set of decent headphones, I recommend the Ultrasone HiFi 2400. Better separation and soundstage than the 600's, as a matter of fact to my ears they're extremely close to the HD 800 in terms of imagery, but the 800's have more clarity on the bass. The 2400 sounds a lot more expensive than it is and is definitely in the same room with a lot of high end headphones, including high end Ultrasones. 

Jun 6, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #3 of 47
Quote:
 If you just need to change things up, try a Fiio E6 portable headphone amplifier for about $30 US. It has 4 EQ settings and can change things up. 

HD 600's on a laptop is not really a good idea without a headphone amp, as a matter of fact there are not too many quality open backed headphones that will sound great unamped. 

If you like the E6 you can move up to maybe the Fiio E12 ($120US) or JDS Labs O2($175) or C5 ($175). Get the O2 if you don't plan on moving around much or the C5/E12 if you travel a lot. 

If you just want different headphones and no headphone amp, Try the V-Moda M80, it's sweeter midrange than the new M100, a better for an unamped laptop BUT the 600's have better separation than soundstage. The M100 has much more bass and is louder than the M80. 

I also recommend the Marshall Monitor headphones, very flat and neutral with the highs a bit recessed for smoothness/warmth, but near or at the top for separation on closed headphones. They are also capable of being driven fine without a headphone amp. The problem with the Marshall is an estimated 100 hours burn in before they sound great. V-Moda pretty much sound great immediately. 

If you get a headphone amp and STILL want another set of decent headphones, I recommend the Ultrasone HiFi 2400. Better separation and soundstage than the 600's, as a matter of fact to my ears they're extremely close to the HD 800 in terms of imagery, but the 800's have more clarity on the bass. The 2400 sounds a lot more expensive than it is and is definitely in the same room with a lot of high end headphones, including high end Ultrasones. 

I forgot to mention I have e17 and e9

Jun 6, 2013 at 2:58 AM Post #4 of 47
Quote:

I doubt FiiO E6 can drive the HD600... Upgrading headphones are usually better than upgrading an amps personally. 

Anyway, HD600 is a darkish and slow sounding headphone, upgrading to something bright and aggressive headphone would be nice... You do know what brand I am thinking right? BRIGHT sounding.... 

Jun 6, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #5 of 47
Quote:
I doubt FiiO E6 can drive the HD600... Upgrading headphones are usually better than upgrading an amps personally. 

Anyway, HD600 is a darkish and slow sounding headphone, upgrading to something bright and aggressive headphone would be nice... You do know what brand I am thinking right? BRIGHT sounding.... 

I can't read your mind but what immediately comes to my mind from your description is AKG. I'm still thinking Ultrasone for a sub-$400 switch, brighter than the 600's and while not particularly "aggressive" I don't think he'll be let down by the clarity.

Jun 6, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #6 of 47
Quote:

I know very little about headphones so no

Jun 6, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #7 of 47
Quote:

The E6 was a cheap suggestion if he had no headphone amp at all, which wasn't indicated in the OP. E6 from an average laptop will drive the 600 just fine. 

Jun 6, 2013 at 3:31 AM Post #9 of 47
Quote:
Have you checked out the Grado SR325i? Bright and aggressive! :]

I just read the Amazon reviews on the Grado SR325i and now I'm thinking about getting it but first a few questions:

-Does everyone agree that Grado SR325i is just as good or better than HD600s?
-Do both of those headphones sound very different from each other?
-Can a e17+e9 amp/dac do the job of powering the Grado SR325i?
-Whenever I have days off from work I pretty much spend 15+ hours on my computer with my headphones on, will the Grado SR325i hurt my head or ears if I wear it that long and listen to music for that long?
-I just wanna be 100% sure, these are the headphones right? http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Prestige-Series-SR325is-Headphones/dp/B000J1N3HW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
I wanna be sure that I don't buy the wrong thing.
-It's $295 on amazon, anywhere else I can get it for cheaper?
-Any other headphones I should take a look at?

Thanks guys

Jun 6, 2013 at 4:03 AM Post #10 of 47
15hours on the grado sponge.......
biggrin.gif

But if u are game, try the 225i...less bright, but the grado sound is there.

=====================================

how about a CLOSED can...in case u want some isolation ?  
HM5....UE6000.....K550....Pro900
u can read up on their individual characteristics..
but simplistically..left to right :
easy listening, to more bass, to clearer highs..to more challenge getting it "right"...cheaper to more expensive.

Jun 6, 2013 at 5:54 AM Post #11 of 47
Quote:
I just read the Amazon reviews on the Grado SR325i and now I'm thinking about getting it but first a few questions:

-Whenever I have days off from work I pretty much spend 15+ hours on my computer with my headphones on, will the Grado SR325i hurt my head or ears if I wear it that long and listen to music for that long?
-I just wanna be 100% sure, these are the headphones right? http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Prestige-Series-SR325is-Headphones/dp/B000J1N3HW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Thanks guys

Any last responses to my questions would be nice before I buy the Grado SR325i

Jun 6, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #12 of 47
Quote:

Thanks guys

- Hard to say whether the SR325i is "just as good or better" than the HD600. For one, the SR325i is on-ear, and the HD600 is over-ear. That alone guarantees a different sound presentation. Apart from that, they sound very different. The SR325i has punchier bass, crystal clear midrange and highs. It also has elevated highs, so it will sound much brighter than the HD600. In a strict sense, the HD600 is "better" than the SR325i since it is more neutral and accurate. The 325i is more for fun listening, and will work well with guitar driven music.
- Yes.
- Yes.
- Probably. Grados are not known for their comfort, though the plastic & wood ones are lightweight and can be comfortable if you bend the headband to relieve clamping force. The SR325i is the least comfortable Grado because it is aluminum, thus heavier. I wouldn't want to wear a 325i for 15 hours.
- Yes.
- No. Only if you buy used.
- Yeah there's lots. Read the above posts, a lot of good headphones have been suggested. But for a completely different sound presentation, Grados are a very good choice. I'd recommend just getting the SR80i and buy the L-Cush pads, as it will be more comfortable than the SR325i and sound 95% as good.

Grado SR80i: http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Prestige-SR80i-Stereo-Headphone/dp/B000G3LCQC/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1370513644&sr=1-1&keywords=Grado+SR80i
L-Cush pads: http://www.amazon.com/Grado-L-Cush-Large-Replacement-Cushions/dp/B0006GCCO0/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1370513677&sr=1-1&keywords=L-Cush+pads

Jun 6, 2013 at 6:44 AM Post #13 of 47
For something that costs $300 they lack refinement and in terms of detail and performance are inferior to the HD600. I'm not a Grado fan and personally I'd point you towards something like the AKG K701, especially if you don't mind a slight deficiency in bass... however if you're set on the sound signature then Grado's offer a unique bright and forward sound.

Jun 6, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #15 of 47
Quote:

I know very little about headphones so no

I was thinking of Grados...haha sorry for not being specific enough [ I had too much sugar just now XD]
Quote:

The E6 was a cheap suggestion if he had no headphone amp at all, which wasn't indicated in the OP. E6 from an average laptop will drive the 600 just fine. 

The volume can be a bit of a problem I think...eh? Not sure, never tried E6 + HD600, power might not be sufficient enough after reading the spec as listed on the official web page of FiiO E6
Quote:
 He has 800+ posts here and multiple reviews so he's testing us and also showing us that he has superior headphone knowledge.

erm...not at all but if I do, I am so sorry... was a bit on the hyper side just now [ yeah~ I'm always a bit hyper during the day...hehe]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back