Best headphones that don't require amps
Nov 6, 2007 at 10:10 AM Post #16 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_72 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Denon D2000 seems to be a pretty strong contender. A great all-rounder with strong bass and easily driven.

I like them already from what i've been reading on the other threads. Seems like it sounds better than the PXC450's right?

They're my two options now. Thanks for the suggestion.

Nov 6, 2007 at 10:13 AM Post #17 of 58
About the other Koss's and AKG's, thanks for the suggestion but i'm looking to overall better headphones.

I also have to say this is the 'quickest' forum i've ever registered. Didn't expected so much good info in such a short time.

Nov 6, 2007 at 10:15 AM Post #18 of 58
The Audio Technica ath-es7 is supposed to be a good closed portable. I have one in the mail, haven't heard it yet though.

Nov 6, 2007 at 11:12 AM Post #19 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightrider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
About the other Koss's and AKG's, thanks for the suggestion but i'm looking to overall better headphones.

I also have to say this is the 'quickest' forum i've ever registered. Didn't expected so much good info in such a short time.

i c, sorry...i dont see your budget before...
tongue.gif
then maybe Denon D2000 would suite your preference, but not quite sure to use it unamped...
rolleyes.gif

Nov 6, 2007 at 1:41 PM Post #20 of 58
Audio-Technica AD series (the open ones)!! Punchy bass on my AD900. You'll probably need to upgrade your music files to lossless ones though...

Nov 6, 2007 at 2:03 PM Post #21 of 58
I'd say you'll probably need to go closed if you want good bass unamped. The DT-770-80's (pro version) are wonderful at this, and the model has been around for -quite- awhile. They can also be had for quite a bit less than the d2000's.

I'm also fond of the dt-250 80's for office use, good bass there imho - it depends on how much bass "maximum bass" is.

Nov 6, 2007 at 3:48 PM Post #22 of 58
Vouch for denon d2000, but get D5000 if you can.
biggrin.gif

Nov 6, 2007 at 4:07 PM Post #23 of 58
To OP: I'm surprised no one asked you what types of music you listen to (since that may help us pin down exactly which phone).

You have a pretty decent budget, which could include an amp. Just depends on what you want to do.

I, however, am not qualified to give you any recommendations at that price range...but there are plenty of people who could and have. I'm roughly in the same boat as you, however; I'm leaning toward a K701 and an amp. But, that's for home listening...and I love me some sparkling highs and detail.

Good luck,

Nylan

EDIT: From what I've heard here on head-fi...Ph0rk's suggestion is pretty good.

Nov 6, 2007 at 4:19 PM Post #24 of 58
For $600 get the HD650 and a Corda Move or an iBasso D1. With that kind of budget there's no reason to get low to mid range closed phones.

Nov 6, 2007 at 4:25 PM Post #25 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agnostic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Audio Technica ath-es7 is supposed to be a good closed portable. I have one in the mail, haven't heard it yet though.

It is. It sounds great directly out of my iMod, and in terms of synergy, even better out of a g1 Shuffle. Bass is all that and a bag of Doritos, and it comes close to sounding like an open pair of headphones, less closed in than the DT250-80 or HD280 in any case.

Nov 6, 2007 at 4:49 PM Post #27 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is. It sounds great directly out of my iMod, and in terms of synergy, even better out of a g1 Shuffle. Bass is all that and a bag of Doritos, and it comes close to sounding like an open pair of headphones, less closed in than the DT250-80 or HD280 in any case.

Makes me even more impatient to hear them. If I like them they will be my new closed portable alternative to the er6i.
eggosmile.gif

ed907ccd1ae8232353175b81e57041ee.jpg

Nov 6, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #29 of 58
Sennheiser 650 plays loud with my ipod....so its fine with mp3's....mps's can provide same level of sound as PC....

Nov 6, 2007 at 11:28 PM Post #30 of 58
driving $600 headphones straight out of an ipod is like driving $2000 speakers out of a boombox. Just silly. Save some cash or add a portable amp into the budget. Obviously portability isn't really that much of an issue since the size of the headphones doesn't matter-- the size difference in various headphones recommended so far would be enough space for several portable amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back