Best headphones paired with a Xonar Essence STX in the $200 range
Sep 25, 2010 at 6:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Fakeyfakerson

100+ Head-Fier
Title says it all. I currently own beyerdynamic dt 770's which I love the sound of, however the major con is that with its weight and the type of pad it uses, it begins to hurt the top of my head after an hour or two of use, making me constantly readjust where the band rests on the top of my head. My question is, for around the $200 range what cans will sound as good as my dt 770's paired with a xonar essence stx (no other DAC's or amps used). I enjoy the strong full bass that the 770's provide and would like cans similar to that. I've been looking at the denon d2000 but the reviews I've read have been hit or miss it seems. Any suggestions?

Sep 25, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #3 of 5
I would consider the D2000s to be an upgrade as well though they do have less bass quantity. I found the bass quality to be better, the mids were not as recessed, and the highs were not as bright. What are you going to be using them for? Music preferences?

Sep 25, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #4 of 5
I'll be using them for everything between music, movies/tv, and gaming. My music preferences are indie/alternative rock, some hip hop, and some electronic, but I have all genres from jazz to classical as well. But like I said I do enjoy a little extra 'umph' in the bass regions out of personal preference.

Is the amp in the essnce stx not enough to drive the d2000's properly? Keep in mind they're driving my dt 770 80 ohm's right now, but I'm not sure if I'm doing a disservice to my cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back