Best Headphones one can buy for $300 to listen to high resolution music files
Aug 10, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #16 of 26
Interesting diagrams, curious where you came up with the graphs.

It's all right up there - all from my own listening. No exact measurements, none of them to scale to the size of my head with actual figures. All only by dead reckoning, basically more of a qualitative than a quantitative representation of what the soundstage is like, top down (where it's easier to see all that rathr than use a 3D model from my POV). Despite all that, it's a quicker way of getting what they sound like across to another person rather than typing out paragraphs. Also there are more drums than in a typical drumset there for two reasons: some of the songs I used were progressive metal (which might actually have more than seven) and second it is more a representation of a rough curve where (which isn't one smooth arc, as seen in the more "W" shape in one diagram) the drums generally would be.

If I were talking to someone in person I'd be using my fingers and placing them where whatever I'm pointing to seems to come from. I'd take measurements from where my fingers are, but then again you can see I'd rather do a quickie Paint job than do all that, more so because it's not for nitpicking whether the HD800's stage is how many inches larger than the K701's in every direction 
tongue_smile.gif

In any case, those measurements would not be as easy as one thinks - I'd have to use for example some point beyond the skin on my head as reference point, then measure not just the distance to all other points but at what angle, etc. Anyone who might have access to equipment like that should do it though, like some kind of laser system (like what law enforcement uses to track bullet trajectories at crime scenes, I suppose). The problem at that point though is that every person might have a different measurement of it, and I'd bank on many who might hear something similar from the qualitative desciption but then everyone of them ends up differing in the minute measurements in the quantitative measurements, rendering them unnecessary. That does not mean, for example, that this can be relegated to purely psychological effects like testing modern tubes vs modern SS amps with one control group then another group doing the same thing blind, only that the general description suffices in the interest of dicsussion and actual measurements already unnecessary (given everyone has a different head size, for one).

Aug 10, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #18 of 26
Yes definitely ear pads affect the sound a lot. A lot of people are switching the earpads out on more basic grados and replacing them with earpads from higher end grados. People have noticed significant improvement after switching. I remember John Grado saying that each earpad is designed for a certain headphone and switching earpads would compromise sound quality. Sounds like a marketing ploy to me. Also, not just the shape but also the material too. Leather is known to be more muddy looser sound and velour gives more of a tighter bass with a bigger soundstage in my opinion.

Interesting diagrams, curious where you came up with the graphs.

As Far as Grados go, the Grados I would get would be the Grado RS2e (reference series) yeah their almost $500 but so are the AKG 712's

So as far as my top three headphones right now after countless hours of research is the AKG 702 (65th anniversary), AKG 712, Grado RS2e. I think those are great headphones for the price. Reason I would go with the cheaper 702's is to have a little more money to invest in a good portable amp.

Just go with the Q701, they can be found dirt cheap. They are a steal at the prices they can be found at. If you want more bass out of them after you get them, you can try the reversible bass mod, or just simply do a bit of EQ work. An extra 3db from 80hz and down does wonders. If you find the headband bumps to be bothersome, that can be modded easily as well.

Aug 10, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #19 of 26
  Just go with the Q701, they can be found dirt cheap. They are a steal at the prices they can be found at. If you want more bass out of them after you get them, you can try the reversible bass mod, or just simply do a bit of EQ work. An extra 3db from 80hz and down does wonders. If you find the headband bumps to be bothersome, that can be modded easily as well.

Yes. This.

I will have to admit, AKG's marketing is genius... they've somehow convinced everyone that the same headphones with the (virtually) same drivers with the same housing are worth about three times as much.
blink.gif

Aug 10, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #22 of 26

...What?
blink.gif

Is it okay if I quote you in the Sound Science forum? We're all sure to have loads of fun there.

You can do that, but I stole that piece of information from another blog (which I lurked for an hour) where they had the same debate.

My ears confirm that however. Fortunately, you can convert any ALAC or AIFF file back to WAV or FLAC (level 0 only) and it will sound natural again.

Aug 11, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #23 of 26
  You can do that, but I stole that piece of information from another blog (which I lurked for an hour) where they had the same debate.

My ears confirm that however. Fortunately, you can convert any ALAC or AIFF file back to WAV or FLAC (level 0 only) and it will sound natural again.

The funny thing is, I've done extensive tests between lossless formats in the past, but could not come to any conclusion. I am also familiar with the many quotes across the Internet claiming that they can sound different on certain devices.

I am comparing WAV and AIFF versions of one album on an iPod, and the WAV does seem to sound slightly more natural, deep, and smooth - but I don't know if it's just my imagination playing tricks on me. I will let you know when my thread concerning this matter is published.

Aug 11, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #24 of 26

The funny thing is, I've done extensive tests between lossless formats in the past, but could not come to any conclusion. I am also familiar with the many quotes across the Internet claiming that they can sound different on certain devices.

I am comparing WAV and AIFF versions of one album on an iPod, and the WAV does seem to sound slightly more natural, deep, and smooth - but I don't know if it's just my imagination playing tricks on me. I will let you know when my thread concerning this matter is published.

Trust me when I say this, your imagination cannot do s*** unless you tell it to. If you keep your mind completely neutral, you will hear what is real.

I found about the sound difference when I was editing music files from a video game (saved as WAV) and converting the final result to AIFF, and noticing that something's wrong. And my ears are pretty good.

Aug 11, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #25 of 26
  Trust me when I say this, your imagination cannot do s*** unless you tell it to. If you keep your mind completely neutral, you will hear what is real.

I found about the sound difference when I was editing music files from a video game (saved as WAV) and converting the final result to AIFF, and noticing that something's wrong. And my ears are pretty good.

Eh, the ability of the mind to be easily deceived is well documented, but when it comes to audio, I somewhat agree with you.

I actually have a huge text file full of quotes from people claiming to hear differences between lossless formats. Anyway, this is a topic for another thread...see ya soon!
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back