best headphones/iems $1000 and under?
Oct 12, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #16 of 30
Mr Speakers Aeon might be a little polite on bass, especially if you need that "beats dropping" experience, but it's an amazingly balanced and beautiful sound otherwise. Also you might want to list your dac/amp setup for full sized headphones.
For iems Andromeda seems perfect for your requirement, although it's a little over $1000. Also the Massdrop Zeus and K10 are great ones, though Zeus is a little bass light too.

Oct 12, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #17 of 30
Why do you want to replace your 990s?
Is there something you don't like about them or do you like them, but just want something better? With other words do you want the same signature sound (->DR1990) or do you want to try a different signature? LCD/ZMF...

If you love treble, lower end LCD's ($1000 and under) do have rolled off treble and can be uncomfortable when listening to long periods because of the actual weight of the headphones...
As you probably know, audio is very personal. What sounds great and natural to one person, sounds boring to the other. And fun headphones to one are colored and unnatural to somebody else...
If you live in US, you can buy/try many headphones that have 30 days return policy.
I live in Japan and unless there is something wrong with the product we buy, we usually can't return it. (Not even Amazon)
Sorry, I couldn't be of more help.

P.S. Just started listening to Future Bass (on Spotify). Sounds pretty sweet. Didn't even know this genre existed until today.
Thanks for the heads-up :beerchug:
I wanna replace them bc I want a better listening experience. When I listen to music, I wanna be blown away and I'm not exactly getting that from my dt99s. If possible I would like a headphone that is good with every genre of music. And that's awesome!!! It's very different from every other genre and that's why I love it. I can recommend you some future bass songs if you want.

Oct 12, 2018 at 7:52 PM Post #19 of 30
The new Quad planar magnetic headphones are on sale at Massdrop for $569.

They are getting great reviews and seem like a lot of headphone for the money.

There's a 'buy the Quad tube amp' with them deal that is very attractive. I have that amp - it's amazing on both speakers and headphones, EL84 tubes (and a nice DAC built in).
thanks man. I did some research on them and they seem amazing for the price. I'm highly considering these cans.

Oct 12, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #20 of 30
Buy all of them, put them in a giant tower vault and dive in! Do the backstroke a la Scrooge McDuck!

But seriously. Sounds like the DT 1990 would tick all your boxes and tickle all your fancies. I was just listening to some Aphex Twin the other day and... Oh mah gahd. Dat BASS! And the treble is...treble-y. Bright, but generally not fatiguing (eh, okay, there are some recordings where it's a bit much, but I don't really blame the headphones for bad recordings).
I think the only possible downside might be the "intimate" soundstage. I don't mind it, personally.
Also, I'd say they play all genres with equal aplomb. Jazz, acoustic blues, rock of all kinds, electronic, hip hop (except maybe stuff from the '90s and earlier that really had bad production).

Okay, I'm going to edit this one more time: if you want something that will make all your music sound good, these might not be them. I realized one of my jazz albums just sounded painfully thin and bright and I had to stop listening. I'd never noticed with any of my other cans.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 11:48 PM Post #21 of 30
I can recommend you some future bass songs if you want.
That would be great!

On the same note... I want to thank you and curse you at the same time :o2smile:.
Since you introduced me to Future Bass, I have been listening to it for days non-stop. Every fricking minute of my free time. I think I am addicted to it now. Maybe bacause I just bought original Audioquest Nighthawk headphones (wood color, second-hand for $200) and Future Bass sounds like I am on drugs all the time, it's soooo trippy.
I know they are not on your list, but if you want a really good read about them here is an excellent article: http://passionforsound.lachlanfennen.com/audioquest-nighthawk/

Anyway, back to my trippy music ... :L3000:
Thanks again.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #22 of 30
Buy all of them, put them in a giant tower vault and dive in! Do the backstroke a la Scrooge McDuck!

But seriously. Sounds like the DT 1990 would tick all your boxes and tickle all your fancies. I was just listening to some Aphex Twin the other day and... Oh mah gahd. Dat BASS! And the treble is...treble-y. Bright, but generally not fatiguing (eh, okay, there are some recordings where it's a bit much, but I don't really blame the headphones for bad recordings).
I think the only possible downside might be the "intimate" soundstage. I don't mind it, personally.
Also, I'd say they play all genres with equal aplomb. Jazz, acoustic blues, rock of all kinds, electronic, hip hop (except maybe stuff from the '90s and earlier that really had bad production).

Okay, I'm going to edit this one more time: if you want something that will make all your music sound good, these might not be them. I realized one of my jazz albums just sounded painfully thin and bright and I had to stop listening. I'd never noticed with any of my other cans.
I was gonna do some research on them but then you said they might not be what I want in your edit. I wish I can just buy all of them but I don't have that kind of money yet. Maybe soon. Thanks though.

Oct 13, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #23 of 30
I'd say my last edit goes with the theme of "blame the recording, not the headphones." If you've got a lot of stuff that's poorly produced it may be a problem, otherwise I think they're great cans. The album I was talking about is a jazz recording from the '60s (Wayne Shorter Speak No Evil), it's the only one I've noticed this problem. And, okay, of I'm being honest, vinyl doesn't sound great either (too many pops and clicks).
Maybe you should check out the Amiron Home. I've not heard them, but they're supposed to be a little more relaxed and forgiving while still being Beyers.

Oct 13, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #24 of 30
I'd say my last edit goes with the theme of "blame the recording, not the headphones." If you've got a lot of stuff that's poorly produced it may be a problem, otherwise I think they're great cans. The album I was talking about is a jazz recording from the '60s (Wayne Shorter Speak No Evil), it's the only one I've noticed this problem. And, okay, of I'm being honest, vinyl doesn't sound great either (too many pops and clicks).
Maybe you should check out the Amiron Home. I've not heard them, but they're supposed to be a little more relaxed and forgiving while still being Beyers.
I checked out the amiron home but it seems like I am might be favoring more the 1990 though bc I do like bass a lot and also treble. The only thing I am concerned about with the 1990 is that the treble might too fatiguing. But what I read that I also liked favoring the 1990 over the amiron is that the 1990 is good with almost every genre especially EDM which is a huge plus in my book. Thanks though for the input.

Oct 13, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #25 of 30
That would be great!

On the same note... I want to thank you and curse you at the same time :o2smile:.
Since you introduced me to Future Bass, I have been listening to it for days non-stop. Every fricking minute of my free time. I think I am addicted to it now. Maybe bacause I just bought original Audioquest Nighthawk headphones (wood color, second-hand for $200) and Future Bass sounds like I am on drugs all the time, it's soooo trippy.
I know they are not on your list, but if you want a really good read about them here is an excellent article: http://passionforsound.lachlanfennen.com/audioquest-nighthawk/

Anyway, back to my trippy music ... :L3000:
Thanks again.
hehe my bad. Here's a list but I don't know if the songs are all on spotify bc it's on my soundcloud future bass playlist. Follow me on soundcloud for the playlist: Jacob Griner. Here's the list though:
San holo- fly

Louis The Child - From Here

Gill Chang - Where Is My Mind (Feat. CVRSE)

Draper - All I See (feat. Laura Brehm) (Kicks N Licks remix)

medasinDaydream (ft. JOBA)

Hegemon Select — PRXZM - Haze (Gill Chang Remix)

Ember Island - Need You (Gill Chang Remix)

Passion Pit- Sleepyhead (JAUZ remix)

k?d — Birth of The Universe

EUREKA / Stereoman [2015秋M3] #commune310

Robotaki — Ghostboy (Deluxe) ft. C. Young & Claire Ridgely

Mansionair - Easier (Electric Mantis Remix)

Grant - Constellations (feat. Jessi Mason)

pluko — Surface (Feat. Nevve)

i got a bag full of tacos — slow hours

Just A Gent — Loaded (feat. Melissa Ramsay)

The Temper Trap - Fall Together (Just A Gent remix)

Enschway & sumthin sumthin - I'll Wait

Getter - Inhalant Abuse (chasing donuts flip)

Mija & Vindata - Better (Electric Mantis Remix)

Moglii - Fantasy (feat. Novaa)

Fight For You (Ft. MAX)(pluko & Inverness Remix)

graves - un4getable

goosetaf — impact.

Virtual Riot - Pixel Forest

Sad Meal - Hello

KARMA RHYTHMdo you?

Shallou - Doubt (Summer Edit)

Alison WonderlandChurch (Hex Cougar Remix)

ABSRDST and Diveo - We're Beautiful

Diveo — Fever Dreams (feat. Taylor Fernandez)

Just A Gent — Pure Imagination

succducc — pee & u

iMeiden - Tower Light Fireworks (ft. Rachie)

San Holo - Light

Listening to all of these will satisfy your future bass needs haha. Enjoy!

Oct 14, 2018 at 1:17 AM Post #26 of 30
If you can find one I’d recommend the HE-500’s. It’s one of the most musically balanced headphones under $1k that I’ve heard. It replaced my DT1990’s as my favorite mid-fi headphone. The DT1990’s are still very good. The clarity on those cans is amazing and they also deserve some consideration.

Oct 14, 2018 at 1:36 AM Post #27 of 30
Best headphones ~$1000 or so:
Campfire Andromeda IEMs, Focal Clear, HD800S

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #28 of 30
You can also get a Focal Clear in the classifieds for right around a grand if you want to go that route.
It has excellent bass , extended treble, VERY dynamic and an overall very fun headphone.
I know it’s not on your list but it may just check off all the boxes what you’re looking for in a headphone.
They also do these trade specials periodically at the SourceAV where you Trade in any headphone ($10 piece of Schiit) amd it’s right around $1100 for a new Clear with warranty.

Nov 2, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #29 of 30
what amp/source do you have? Normally when you spend 1k on a pair of headphones you need to spend at least half that much on a quality amp/source to properly drive them.

ETA: If you enjoy bass you might consider the massdrop fostex x00s. I have the th900s and have loved them for about 4 years!

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2018 at 8:16 PM Post #30 of 30
As soon as I read that you listened to Future Bass the first headphone that came to mind was the Ultrasone Pro 900. Trust me,- there is no better headphone for that kind of music! Very energetic sound with fast bass/sub bass.
Their price is around $350-$500 dollars these days so that would leave you with plenty money to spend on a decent amp to drive them.
I would also recommend the Fostex TH-X00 Purpleheart, slightly deeper bass than the Pro 900's but lack their energy. Important for that kind of music.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back