best headphones/iems $1000 and under?
Oct 10, 2018 at 11:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

therckr123

New Head-Fier
I am somewhat new to the audiophile world but I have some knowledge on high-end headphones. I don't have all the money in the world but I am willing to spend around $1000 and under for a new pair of cans to replace my dt990s. I am quite interested in the lcd2c's and from zmf, specifically blackwood and ori. Also dt1990's and aeon flow are on the list. I am very indecisive and I need help to decide which ones to choose. I love bass and treble in future bass songs when the drop hits, but also, having an overall balanced headphone would be nice. Your help would be much appreciated.

Oct 11, 2018 at 2:22 AM Post #4 of 30
The purpose of my reply was to show you that unless we know
- what kind of music you listen to,
- where you listen (on the move, at home, is it noisy or quiet)
- what your source is,
- what amp you have (or if you need it and what your budget for it is),
- headphones you have experience with, like and disliked before.

See, I could have listed 5 expensive cars, and you couldn't have given me a correct answer either unless you knew what I needed the car for.
P.S. I'm not trying to be a smart@ss
:)

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018 at 2:36 AM Post #5 of 30
The purpose of my reply was to show you that unless we know
- what kind of music you listen to,
- where you listen (on the move, at home, is it noisy ot quiet)
- what your source is,
- what amp you have (or if you need it and what your budget for it is),
- headphones you have experience with, like and disliked before.

See, I could have listed 5 expensive cars, and you couldn't have given me a correct answer either unless you knew what I needed the car for.
Again, I listed 5 headphones, and yes, I did mention the genre of music, future bass, which is a trippier and funkier version of trap music. Also, if you paid attention to the headphones I listed you'd know I am mostly interested in open back for the best quality and experience. I listen to mostly electronic music from progressive house to dubstep, classical music, and rock. My source is my desktop pc in my room. I have a schiit fulla 2 as my dac with a schiit vali 2 as my amp. I am willing to spend 500 for an amp but would like one that is a dac/amp combo for convenience. I have very little experience with high end audio and so I only have experience with my dt990, and my sony and klipsch iems.

Oct 11, 2018 at 8:24 AM Post #8 of 30
Why don't you just buy Sennheiser HD6XX or HD600 and O2 + ODAC Combo RevB and call it a day. I doubt it would be much much better than that. I could be wrong though.

EDIT:

Sorry, these headphones that I mentioned would't really suit your musical preference. For rock and classical it's just fine but not for the other ones.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #9 of 30
I just got the Fiio FH5 and I'm seriously impressed. They have a great W shaped sound signature. The bass quality is absolutely amazing.

Oct 11, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #10 of 30
to replace my dt990s
Why do you want to replace your 990s?
Is there something you don't like about them or do you like them, but just want something better? With other words do you want the same signature sound (->DR1990) or do you want to try a different signature? LCD/ZMF...
I love bass and treble
If you love treble, lower end LCD's ($1000 and under) do have rolled off treble and can be uncomfortable when listening to long periods because of the actual weight of the headphones...
As you probably know, audio is very personal. What sounds great and natural to one person, sounds boring to the other. And fun headphones to one are colored and unnatural to somebody else...
If you live in US, you can buy/try many headphones that have 30 days return policy.
I live in Japan and unless there is something wrong with the product we buy, we usually can't return it. (Not even Amazon)
Sorry, I couldn't be of more help.

P.S. Just started listening to Future Bass (on Spotify). Sounds pretty sweet. Didn't even know this genre existed until today.
Thanks for the heads-up :beerchug:

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #15 of 30
The new Quad planar magnetic headphones are on sale at Massdrop for $569.

They are getting great reviews and seem like a lot of headphone for the money.

There's a 'buy the Quad tube amp' with them deal that is very attractive. I have that amp - it's amazing on both speakers and headphones, EL84 tubes (and a nice DAC built in).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back