Best headphones for under $100? Sennheiser HD 280?
Jan 18, 2011 at 7:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Skeith34

New Head-Fier
Well, for a quick start..Hello Everyone! Glad to join the forums :)

Anyways!
I listen to mainly Dubstep, and bassy stuff, but I like acoustics sometimes and clearity. But with lots of bass..

Lately, I've been thinking of purchasing Sennheiser HD 280 Pros, they are on newegg for about $100, but then again I saw the Sennheiser HD 202s, and for $40 they seem amazing!

But for my question...for that price, and the type of music I listen too and style (I use a Zune HD), What should I get? :D

Jan 18, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #3 of 25
Since you're stating you enjoy bass why not look at the Sony MDR XB700? Right now you can find them for around $80 shipped. Sony is not a brand that I am attracted to these days but have been hearing some good reviews from bass heads regarding these cans.

Jan 18, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #6 of 25
Got to admit, first forum where I have ever posted and got so many replies so quickly! :) 

Hmm took a look at the Sony MDR XB700 and they appear decent, just a bit to clunky for my tastes!

Now, I took at look at the Audio Technica M50 and I actually like those a lot! But where can i get for a lower, and decent price? Only saw for 179 on amazon? Trying to go $100 or under if possible. 

And those pair of Shures, are still on the expensive side, any other ideas guys? :D

Jan 18, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #7 of 25
The Koss Pro100 is supposed to be a great choice. Almost picked one up yesterday at Best Buy, but I already have two pairs of similar closed-back headphones like that.

http://www.amazon.com/KOSS-DJ100-Professional-Stereo-Headphones/dp/B003X1BEKI

Jan 18, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #8 of 25

Quote:
Now, I took at look at the Audio Technica M50 and I actually like those a lot! But where can i get for a lower, and decent price? Only saw for 179 on amazon? Trying to go $100 or under if possible.

B&H Photo sells them for $109 but they're sold out ATM. Might shoot them an email to find out when they're expecting more. (unless you need them immediately)

There's a pair listed in the classifieds right now, too. Surprised they've lasted this long.

Jan 18, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #9 of 25
Wow really? I definitely am Into buying those headphones :)
I just want the absolute best decision, I am a newbi in the Audiophile area, but I am falling for it quite a bit :)

Could people clear up a few other questions?

What exactly is the best range when it comes to kHz and hz? Say some headphones have 18kHz-25kHz compared to 8hz-20kHz..would the 2nd one be better?

As far as the "THD" and Input Impendance goes, What are those and what do they mean? Thanks! :D

Jan 18, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #11 of 25
Honestly the frequency response never matters. IBuds have a frequency response of 20-20KHZ (LOL) but they definitely dont reach that far up or down while high end customs have a response of 30-17KHZ so it doesnt matter. The THD is the harmonic distortion of the headphone at various frequencies but most audio gear have a THD of less than 1 percent which is definitely inaudible. Finally the impedance is how much load a headphone puts on a circuit. It is often used as a sign if it needs amping but actually sensitivity is a better spec to look at. Hope that helps.

Quote:
Wow really? I definitely am Into buying those headphones :)
I just want the absolute best decision, I am a newbi in the Audiophile area, but I am falling for it quite a bit :)

Could people clear up a few other questions?

What exactly is the best range when it comes to kHz and hz? Say some headphones have 18kHz-25kHz compared to 8hz-20kHz..would the 2nd one be better?

As far as the "THD" and Input Impendance goes, What are those and what do they mean? Thanks! :D

Jan 18, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #12 of 25
So I mean for the Input, is a 32 Ohm setup decent? What effect would having less and more have? :p

And in terms of the ATH M50s I am definitely considering getting those, do you currently own a pair?
Definitely a great help :)

Jan 18, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #13 of 25
YES! That was my first headphone and likely to be my last for quite a while as im planning to go customs. But to answer your question, 32 ohm is pretty standard. Like i said before many people use the impedance to justify the use of amping when really the sensitivity is a better spec to look at. Having more impedance generally means that it would get softer. Some cans like the Beyers headphones are of the same model but have different impedance like 32ohm, 80, 300, 600 ohm. They sound different but its not a night and day difference.

Quote:
So I mean for the Input, is a 32 Ohm setup decent? What effect would having less and more have? :p

And in terms of the ATH M50s I am definitely considering getting those, do you currently own a pair?
Definitely a great help :)

Jan 18, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #14 of 25
I got my M50s on E-bay about a year ago for $90. The seller lists at $159 but accepts offers. I'm not too sure what the stance on linking to ebay is here, but if you are interested, PM me and I'll give you the seller's name.

I had HD555s before the M50s and was completely blown away by how much better suited the audio technicas are for electronic and pop music. They would be perfect for you.

Jan 18, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #15 of 25
Ahhhh alrigfht then guys :) Well so I think I am sold on the M50s definitely! Any other last thoughts? :)

Oh! How are the warrantys with Audio Technica? As well as the chances are of them breaking? :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back